Sovietised VG Prowler

Started by McGreig, February 23, 2008, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

And Odd Rods, don't forget the Odd Rods....this is gonna be soooo cool! 
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lancer

The Fitter wings look right at home on the prowler!!! Can\t wait to see this beauty all done and finished!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitbasher

Great idea, but too pretty still to be Russian!! ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Orionblamblam

Wings look small. Carrier landings would be interesting...

McGreig

Quote from: Orionblamblam on February 24, 2008, 03:59:46 PM
Wings look small. Carrier landings would be interesting...
I may extend the span, although I'm reluctant to add anything to the chord. Also, while I think that Wyrmshadow's original was meant to be carrier-borne, I'm not sure that mine will be - fortunately, the Soviet Navy operated a large number of shore-based anti-shipping aircraft!

ysi_maniac

This is a great idea. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
My only concern would be the nose. I would do it more pointed. Perhaps from Tomcat which is broad :huh:
Anyway, keep going
Will die without understanding this world.

Howard of Effingham

i like this one quite a bit but i think it would look a bit better with a couple of fuselage extensions and a
slightly deeper mid and rear fuselage, say of a layer of 3mm plastic card faired in.

#1 just in front of the wing roots
#2 between the trailing edge of the wing and the tailplane.

keep up the good work! could this work in an allover black livery and soviet stars.

i have a MiG-37 Ferret decal sheet going spare if you need it. this gives quite a bit of stencil data in
cyrillic, btw
Keeper of George the Cat.

McGreig

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I started this build because I liked Wyrmshadow's CGI and I want to follow it as closely as possible. However, like I said in the first post, compromises and changes are inevitable because of the differences between CGI and plastic as modelling mediums (media?) and, now that I've started the real building process, I've had to make three changes to my original ideas.

The most obvious is the nose. I prefer the shape of the Prowler nose and I didn't really want to change it but, the more I looked at it, the less convincing it seemed to have a blunt nose on an arrow shaped VG bomber. So I've gone for Ysi's suggestion and added a pointed nose.

And I have to agree with Maverick and Orionblamblam that the Su-17 wings look a shade small. I've compared them to the Su-24 and I think that a small extension to the wingspan will make a big difference, so I've added this, although it still has to be built up and blended in.

The final change is to the fin where I've actually gone back to Wyrmshadow's original drawing and replaced my Su-15 fin with one from an Su-24.

JHM - the Odd Rods will appear in due course
HofE - I see what you mean, but extending the fuselage would be taking me further from the original concept (and I think that I would probably need even bigger wings).

Anyway, this is where the build and PSR has got to so far. Most of the work has been on the fuselage, the wings are still taped on and I haven't made a final decision on the tailplanes (Su-24 - too big, MiG-23 - right shape but too small. MiG-25 and F-4 remain possibilities)

Brian da Basher

Those wing extensions are killer!

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Yeah----love the mods.  As for the MiG-23 tailplanes you'd like to use but are too small, could you not insert a spacer strip of Evergreen stock in order to enlarge them without taking away their basic geometry?

[Edit: I drew out the general concept below]

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Looks great! I think the wingtip extensions helped quite a bit, like the nosejob too.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Maverick

Super look Gordon, whilst I'm a fan of the bluntness of the Intruder/Prowler look, this just looks killer and certainly has that "speedy in a retro sci fi way" look to it that the Sovs seemed to enjoy!

Wyrmshadow

I actually did the same with my nose. The versatility of CGI let me stretch it by about 50% lengthwise. So although it is blunt like the original, it's far sleeker, but not as keen as yours.
Have I mentioned how cool it is to have an idea that I litterally pulled out of my butt one night suddenly becoming a reality because someone else thought it was cool? (What a run-on!!)

so, who's gonna try making my Flechete?

Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

B777LR

Quote from: Wyrmshadow on February 26, 2008, 11:11:12 PM
so, who's gonna try making my Flechete?

Thats actually a very nice aircraft...

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.