Sovietised VG Prowler

Started by McGreig, February 23, 2008, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Quote from: Maverick on February 26, 2008, 10:05:57 PM
Super look Gordon, whilst I'm a fan of the bluntness of the Intruder/Prowler look, this just looks killer and certainly has that "speedy in a retro sci fi way" look to it that the Sovs seemed to enjoy!

I heartily agree with the honourable gent. The pointy nose looks killer
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Howard of Effingham

now that i have seen the revised model, it looks good, will work and i wanna see the finished item SOON!  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

jeff3385

Yeah man... that is a real nifty Prowlerski you got there. The running dog capitalists will be sure to keep all their submarines docked while that is on patrol. :wacko:
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

lancer

All we need now is Comrade anatoly to cast his critical eye over the Rodinas latest creation....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

noxioux

Excellent! It does look much more convincing with the sharpened nose.  Very wicked.  It would be fun to see this parked next to some naval Flankers on the deck of a Soviet supercarrier.

McGreig

Thanks again for the feedback. This project is progressing quite steadily so far (although there may be a brief interruption for the Spring Break GB) and the main airframe is now complete, with tailplanes eventually adapted from the Su-24. (After reading JHM's post, I realised that, if I could expand the MiG-23 parts, I could equally well cut down the Su-24 tailplanes - and I'd already stolen the fin from that kit!).

Normally, when I begin a kitbash like this, I've got a very clear idea of what the final result will look like but the VG Prowler has surprised me - it looks much sleeker than I expected.

The next stage is to finish sanding down the joins, add another couple of weapon pylons - the weapons will be donated by the Su-24 - and get the cockpit interior and canopy fitted. Then it will be on to priming for painting (and thinking of something to do with an unarmed, tail-less Fencer - I may turn it into an interceptor with Foxbat-style fins and tailplanes)

Mossie

It's looking great!  That sharper nose does look more sleek, without destroying the shape of the Prowler.  I've had a thought about how you could change the look of the intakes without major surgery.  You could make half cone centrebodies from an unassembled drop tank with a sharp nose.  Just cut the ends off & stick em on.  Just a suggestion though, carry on it's looking fantastic! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

That is just ridiculously good looking.   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

McGreig

Staggering to find that almost two years have passed since I last worked on this. :o

However, Cobra's Gerry Anderson EA-6 thread in The Idea Bank has prompted me to dust it off and restart. (Although progress is not going to be spectacular as I'll be snowed under with Real World work until the 31 January when life will go back to what passes for normal in McGreig Towers).

The undercarriage and weapons pylons have been added and I've done some further PSR. The next stage is to add some cockpit detail, add the ejection seats, paint the canopy frames and fix the windscreen in place. I'm also going to do some more PSR on the wing tips - you can't see it in the photos but there's a bit of a step and some warping that needs to be dealt with.

Sauragnmon

An inspirational blend, and I look back at my stash and realize there's an Su-22 I've got plans to do a Delta wing on, which means I'd have a spare set of Fitter wings floating around... I might have to indulge in this madness... it'd make a hell of a Bomb Truck definitely, or with the original four-seat pit for a lighter EW Bird to replace the Tu-22 EW aircraft... maybe source some small scale AS-6's or something to use as Kh-28's...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

sideshowbob9

One word: That's awesome.....

Yes, yes I know!!! (it's two words...)

Taiidantomcat

Really excited to see you back at this  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

Cobra

Glad i could Help get you back into the Swing of Things with your Project. Can't wait to see more!!!!! Stay Cool :mellow: :cheers: Dan