Rutan AT-1B TERMINATOR

Started by dragon, February 25, 2008, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 26, 2008, 11:12:08 AM
That's brilliant dragon! ---     I've just one comment though, Rutan would have had the canard wing tips forward swept   ;D

That's why I like Rutan's designs. :wub:
In this case, I was trying to keep the silhouette as close to Voyager as possible (or practical).  Call it "Votager's more interesting twin". :mellow:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

AeroplaneDriver

Beautifully done!  Very Rutanesque.

If I may add a few observations (which you, as the Rutan surrogate are free to ridicule):

-Scale-o-rama-ing it to a 1/48 single-seater might look cool.

-Making it a single engine, with cannon occupying the booms may also look cool.

-If it were called "Wasp" then a squadron could be nicknamed 'Burt's Bees".

-Paint it in desert camo!!!!

(The last one should be taken as an order, not an observation!!   ;D  )
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

dragon

Progress!
I have settled on digital SEA variant (Light Grey undersides, dark tan, medium green, dark green, and black).
It is a lot more advanced than this image, however my computer and I are having an existential discussion.  The camera does not exist , according to the computer, even though I personally connected the camera to the cable that connects it to the computer. :banghead:

BACK STORY

Lieutenant Tomas Francisco Velez (Fuerza Aerea Colombiana) was exhausted.  For some odd reason his Government had seen it fit that he should depart the country on a secret mission through an inordinate amount of subterfuge.  At least he assumed it was a secret mission of some sort- as the call from his Commanding Officer had stated.  Just what precisely this mission was about, had not been revealed.  He had been woken up at the Bachelor Officers Quarters at 3:00am given a nondescript suitcase with his belongings in it and a uniform of an Anti Terror Police Officer (complete with Balaklava and appropriate equipment), then marched in formation with the other real police officers into a waiting van.  At the Police Station, the nondescript suitcase was exchanged for another equally nondescript suitcase.  He was then dressed as a "common felon" (jeans, sneakers, and a T-shirt pulled over his face, with some stage blood on his chest) being taken to the Hospital for yet another change of clothes.  This went on for a few other times until he made it to the Airport.  From there it was a flight to Mexico City with a change of airlines, then to Dallas (and another change of airline), then to Charlotte (another change of Airlines) and into a propeller driven aircraft for landing here at Pensacola.  At each step he received a set of instructions via texting on his newly "issued" cell phone.  He was to go to baggage claim, pick up his suitcase, and get a cab.  The driver would be reading "War and Peace".
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

John Howling Mouse

That is intensely exciting to see.  For a minute there, I thought you were making the model match your moniker with some sort of scales effect.
On your computer, do you have alternate USB ports you can try mounting your camera or memory flashcard-reader to?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

anthonyp

LOL!  Yep, that's definitely something Rutan would probably (or already has  :ph34r: ) thought up!  Good job, Dragon!  Looking forward to seeing this one completed.   :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Tophe

Nice triplex boomer, thanks... :wub: :thumbsup:
Just a question: apart of the U-2 basis, which parts did you use to build this marvelous compound? (I ask that as a modeller: which kits? but purchasers would ask that for price: which availability still now?)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

dragon

Quote from: Tophe on June 28, 2008, 09:50:49 PM
Nice triplex boomer, thanks... :wub: :thumbsup:
Just a question: apart of the U-2 basis, which parts did you use to build this marvelous compound? (I ask that as a modeller: which kits? but purchasers would ask that for price: which availability still now?)
Tophe, it has been a long time.  Glad to see you back.
The main fuselage came from an Academy 1/72 U-2C.
The Canard supports (between fuselage and nacelles) came from a Ju-87
Tailcone came from a 1/48 F-14 Tomcat.
Horizontal tailplane came from an Academy 1/72 OV-10 Bronco
Vertical tailplanes are from an F-15 in 1/72
Nacelles are from styrene tube and a 1/48 weapon part and 1/48 bomb parts.
Boom intakes are leftovers from 1/72 Italeri C-47.
Midwing fences are from an F-18
Gatling cannon is scratch built.
Canopy is from an F-16B sanded to shape
Exhausts are from an F-18

Parts that will be seen when I finish arguing with my computer:
Main landing gear is from an F-16
Main landing gear wheels are from an F-18 nose wheel
Hardpoints are from an F-16
Droptanks are from an F-15 in 1/72

dragon

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 28, 2008, 07:12:01 PM
That is intensely exciting to see.  For a minute there, I thought you were making the model match your moniker with some sort of scales effect.
On your computer, do you have alternate USB ports you can try mounting your camera or memory flashcard-reader to?
I have tried.  The USB says there's a camera there but won't connect with the appropriate program, the latter says it isn't connected to a camera.  I may throw in the towel and reinstall the whole freaking thing.  Don't you just love it when computers go bi-polar on you?

Dork the kit slayer

very interesting... ;D..very interesting indeed ;D :thumbsup:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Brian da Basher

Yowsa!!! This has got to be one of the scariest, most wicked looking Rutan-esque designs I've seen yet Dragon! Your choice of a modified SEA camo for this wonder is truly inspired! I'm very much looking forward to final roll-out!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

This idea is captivating! I love the out of the out of the box thinking involved. Way Cool Jr.!
   Eddie
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

Awesome oh scaly monster , best use of a U-2 ever. looking forward to the updates :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

pyro-manic

Quote from: dragon on June 28, 2008, 11:13:59 PM
I have tried.  The USB says there's a camera there but won't connect with the appropriate program, the latter says it isn't connected to a camera.  I may throw in the towel and reinstall the whole freaking thing.  Don't you just love it when computers go bi-polar on you?

You shouldn't have to use a specific program to access your camera. You should be able to open it up with Windows. Just open My Computer, and it will appear as a removeable storage device of some sort (it will have the same icon as a USB thumb drive or similar). Just open it up, and one of the folders should contain all the images on the camera.

The Terminator is looking really cool! It looks like something Rutan would design, and I look forward to seeing it fully dressed and armed. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: dragon on June 28, 2008, 11:13:59 PM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 28, 2008, 07:12:01 PM

Interesting.  It could either be a hub problem on your PC or a driver failure.  Have you tried re-downloading the most current applicable driver from the 'net?  Just want to see more pics of this baby!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

dragon

Velez wondered what all this hush hush secret agent stuff was all about.  He was already irritated by the length of the trip and the fact that he had been passed up on the list of Fuerza Aerea Colombiana pilots heading to RED FLAG.  What was up with that?  Velez was one of the FAC's best pilots.  The phone vibrated in his hand.  He followed the text instructions.
"Anna Karenina was much better".  He said to the cab driver.
"Yes, but Tolstoy makes you appreciate Clancy much more", responded the cab driver.  The driver clicked the out of service sign on and loaded Velez's suitcase in to the trunk.  "Get in.  Front seat."
Velez nodded and did as instructed.  "Thank you...?"
"You may call me Mr. Green"
"So my final destination is Pensacola Naval Air Station?"
Green shook his head.  "Eglin."
Mr. Green was not much of a talker noted Velez as they crossed Escambia Bay on US-90.