Cool MiG camo

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 28, 2008, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Jennings

While so-called "fractal" camouflage does undoubtedly look cool, I fail to see how it's any more effective than any other camo.  At more than a few metres away, especially when the object is moving and/or is in a hazy atmosphere, it's going to look absolutely no different than a sprayed on disruptive paint scheme like any other.  It's got to be fantastically expensive and difficult to apply, and let's face it, the Germans tried it in WWI without notable success (they lost, as I recall).

But it does look cool.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

upnorth

I can't wait for the Slovaks to show up at the Czech International Air Fest in September with one of these beauties!
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

PanzerWulff

I read somewhere it plays hell with some sattilite imagery
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

nev

Quote from: Jennings on February 28, 2008, 10:36:17 PM
let's face it, the Germans tried it in WWI without notable success (they lost, as I recall).

:huh: That's like saying the 88mm was a failure as an anti-tank gun because the Germans lost WW2  :huh:

But yeah, it is cool  :ph34r:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Jennings

Quote from: PanzerWulff on February 29, 2008, 12:49:20 AM
"Panzer"

You could say the same about a hangar :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

cthulhu77

Quote from: PanzerWulff on February 29, 2008, 12:49:20 AM
"Panzer"

That is the entire idea, not for planes in flight, but for when they are on the field. The other nice thing is that since it is computer generated, it can be applied by unskilled personell much faster, and replaced as needed without hurting the quality. Some of the new camouflages are being printed out as "skins", like decals, instead of being painted on.

BlackOps

I saw some pics of this in Airforces Monthly and thought it looked pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the new pics. While I doubt it's any more or less effective than traditional camo patterns ya gotta give 'em points for style.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

QuoteWhile so-called "fractal" camouflage does undoubtedly look cool, I fail to see how it's any more effective than any other camo.  At more than a few metres away, especially when the object is moving and/or is in a hazy atmosphere, it's going to look absolutely no different than a sprayed on disruptive paint scheme like any other.

I tend to agree - I think this is all just more of a gimmick.  Look at us we've painted our aircraft this way... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

deathjester

Well done chaps, I think I've just found the appropriate camo for my secret project! :mellow: :mellow:

Mossie

0619 has a nice national colours on the fins stylised in the digital pattern:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

noxioux

It would be interesting to see some hard data on the effectiveness of camo patterns on aircraft.  It seems to me like the patterns are increasingly for decoration, as technology reduces the role that the naked human eye plays in aerial combat.  Take our horrendously boring gray American jets.  Yawn.  Boring, but very, very effective.

What I want to see is "mimetic polycarbonate" as described in some of William Gibson's work.

BlackOps

I would think it's still somewhat important for low flying aircraft to be difficult to see when facing ground fire, sure I know it's probably not all that common these days, but it's fun to watch an F-18 fly overhead and then see how long it takes to lose sight of him even though you know where he should be.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

deathjester

Adaptive camouflage, as seen in 'Die Another Day' does exist, it's been trialled on a Challenger tank, and supposedly an F-15.  Would make all camo schemes redundant, as you can't see the vehicle when it's operating.  And then there's the cloaking device someones supposed to have made.....

Gekko_1

Its got to be nothing more than a gimmick. As a camouflage it doesn't break-up the shape of the aircraft at all and I'm sure satellites will have no problem with it either as from a distance the effect would be lost all together.

But yes it does look cool.

I think Model Alliance is going to do them.