The Warbirds, Richard Herman Jr

Started by Radish, February 29, 2008, 03:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Just re-read "The Warbirds" as I'm making an F-4E phantom II.
Great stuff, and i'll just have to build one from the 45thTFW.
Are there any other F-4 phantoms in memorable works of fiction? :wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

The Rat

Quote from: Radish on February 29, 2008, 03:07:44 AM
Are there any other F-4 phantoms in memorable works of fiction? :wub:

Phantoms of the RAF - A Modeler's Guide to Building the Most Beautiful Aircraft ever to Serve Britain, by Lee Bagnall

Just taking 'fiction' the extra step.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Matt Wiser

Double-ugly does make an appearance in the next book, Force of Eagles. Jack Locke flies his old F-4 in DACT, and later on, his F-15E takes on Iranian F-4s.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

Nick

I found a couple of books by Gerry Carroll in the charity shop at the weekend and am loving the great descriptions of the air and ground war in Vietnam.

North SAR is about HH-3A rescue missions over North Vietnam (not started this yet).

Ghostrider One follows the adventures of an A-4 sqdn CO on a carrier and his buddy, a Marine Air Liasion Officer at Khe Sanh in early 1968. It also talks about F-4, A-6, KA-3 and RA-5 flights and how they all worked together. Good going so far!

Rafael

Termite Hill and Tango Uniform, by Tom Wilson, an interesting story from the days in 'Nam.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Radish

Thanks chaps.
I've got "Force Of Eagles"...in fact, I've got most of Richard Herman Jr's stuff, but I'd forgotten most of it all, including what I'd got!! Doh!!
I read them originally when my brain was collapsing and holes appearing everywhere back in the '90s (called teaching and stress >:( but I'm re-enjoying them again now.)
In fact, clamped together as I write this is a Fujimi F-4E (that'll be a real USAF one from Vietnam) :wub:
There's also an F-4D awaiting a rub down and undercarriage...that'll be a Vietnam "Night Owl" with black undersurfaces. Both for ME and the 500 Phantom build, as well as the USAF SIG. Should I own up and tell them that the F-4D is "representative" and not real? No, I won't. :wacko: :wacko:

Riksbar

The First Ace by Henry Zeybel is worth a look for Vietnam era air combat action (also his Gunship: Spectre of Death is highly recommended as a fictionalised account of AC-130 operations over the Ho-Chi-Min trail)  The Rolling Thunder series especially Phantom Leader by Mark Berent are also pretty good.

For UK ops F-4 A Phantom Pilots Story by Bob Prest is an excellent book about flying the might 'toom with 43 and 92 squadrons RAF.
"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Radish

Perhaps someone should give that Bob prest book to wooksta as a present :wacko: :wacko:

Thanks....not thought about the Mark Berent books.
In my current "build" of Phantoms (4 "on the go" with a couple resurrected from the last stint...all REAL) which includes an F-4V (previously designated F-4D+) with a slatted wing and uprated engines. Quite a few of these to do....ANG, Pakistan, Spain, Belgium, etc.....especially as they're dead-ringers for the F-4S :wacko: :wacko: