Airfix 1/72 scale Gloster Javelin question.

Started by aerofan, February 29, 2008, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 03, 2008, 02:50:43 PM
Yep! on their Mk.9 (got one and it come with pylon tanks too) but did Frog do a T.3 too?  I know the Airfix Mk.9 has the slip tanks for sure.

No, just an FAW.9, which was a bit short in the nose and therefore closer to an FAW.8 in some respects if reviews at the tinme are to be believed (I think the Airfix 9 is a bit out as well, the Frog Sea Vixen was also a bit short in the nose as well I seem to recall) ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

aerofan

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 03, 2008, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: P1127 on March 03, 2008, 02:48:30 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 03, 2008, 06:52:27 AM
Quote from: upnorth on March 03, 2008, 04:53:56 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 01, 2008, 03:49:07 PM
The T.3 has only the two slip tanks under the fuselage, there's no pylons.

The slip tanks must have been specific to the Airfix T.3 then. I built a T.3 from Heller packaging and there were no slip tanks at all.

Uh Oo! I may have it wrong then, maybe my T.3 didn't have any.  Sorry but I can't remember at the moment as I don't have the model in front of me but I'm sure I put them on it.

Frog kit had the underfuselage tanks

Yep! on their Mk.9 (got one and it come with pylon tanks too) but did Frog do a T.3 too?  I know the Airfix Mk.9 has the slip tanks for sure.

I don't think Frog made the T.3. But out of curiosity, which FAW.9 is more accurate, the Forg or Airfix one?

kitnut617

Quote from: aerofan on March 06, 2008, 11:50:08 AM
I don't think Frog made the T.3. But out of curiosity, which FAW.9 is more accurate, the Forg or Airfix one?

I compared them when I first got the kits as I'm planning on building one of each version, the Frog one in smaller than the Airfix one but which one is the accurate one I wouldn't know.  But when I compared the Airfix kit to the Hawk kit I've got, the two matched up very well, apart from the different noses and exhausts they have.  I'm planning on cannibalizing one Airfix T.3/Mk.9 to enhance the Hawk Prototype/Mk.1 kit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

aerofan

Robert, I got confused here. So the Airfix FAW.9 does come with the underwing pylon fuel tanks too just like the Frog one? As for which one is accurate, thanks for your reply. It seems no one is really sure.

kitnut617

Quote from: aerofan on March 07, 2008, 10:41:00 AM

Robert, I got confused here. So the Airfix FAW.9 does come with the underwing pylon fuel tanks too just like the Frog one? As for which one is accurate, thanks for your reply. It seems no one is really sure.

Oops! sorry aerofan, the Airfix kit comes with two slip tanks, four pylons and two missiles only.  The Frog kit has the slip tanks, four pylons, two pylon tanks and two missiles.  But the wings and fuselage do not match up between the two kits.  It would be interesting to know which kit is closer to the real scale size, but my money is on the Airfix kit, mainly because I have read somewhere that the Hawk kits were fairly accurate even though they are very basic with the details.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike