Airfix 1/72 scale Gloster Javelin question.

Started by aerofan, February 29, 2008, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerofan

Airfix released both the FAW.9 and T.3 versions. I heard the T.3 (ex-Heller) moulds were modified to make the FAW.9 kit. Is this true and if it is, does that mean that there will never be an more T.3 version made again? Another question: will Airfix be releasing the FAW.9 soon?  :huh:

Martin H

the T 3 has been out in the last 7-8 years under the airfix banner. The FAW 9 kit is a differnt tool compleatly
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Is this a good time for a 'nudge-nudge' to TSR2joe about his Javelin conversions,  ---- erm!  I think it's TSR2joe who's doing them  :huh:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

aerofan

Quote from: Martin H on February 29, 2008, 11:50:46 AM
the T 3 has been out in the last 7-8 years under the airfix banner. The FAW 9 kit is a differnt tool compleatly

Strange, I read a review about it online and there was mention that the Heller T.3 mould was modified to make the FAW.9. See this http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Reviews/50s/javelin.htm. Also what underwing weapons and fuel tanks were supplied with the kit?

kitnut617

The T.3 has only the two slip tanks under the fuselage, there's no pylons.  The Mk.9 comes with slip tanks, four pylons, but only two Firestreaks.  On my Mk.9 I added a couple of early Sidewinders too but whether that actually happened I couldn't say.

Edit: Just had a look at the link and the Airfix Mk.9 does not have the pylon tanks, the Frog Mk.9 I have does.

Jennings

Strange, I read a review about it online and there was mention that the Heller T.3 mould was modified to make the FAW.9.
[/quote]

I've always understood the same.  In fact, when the FAW.9 came out, there was a good deal of hooplah that if you wanted a T.3 you'd better buy it fast, since there wouldn't be any more.  Could be urban legend, maybe not.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

kitbasher

I've got one of each stashed away in the loft and while I've not been able to compare them, I seem to recall certain items being shared (eg outer wing panels, tailplane, undercarriage, etc) but I think the fuselage was new.  I know its not impossible to change these things (think of the Airfic Canberra B(I)6 that became a B-57), so I could be wrong. ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

kitbasher, from what I can remember from the two I have built (one of each) there are subtle differences all over, the fuselage section with the inner wing panels being the most obvious (different forward fuselages) but the outer wing panels are different too, mostly in how many and where all the vortex genreators are placed plus the gun openings.  The T.3 only has one pitot tube too so the little socket which it glues into only appears on one outer wing panel

I thought I had a photo of the two together but I can't find it now.

Robert

P1127

Now I've heard enough 'the mould has been lost' stories over the years to be careful with anything like that (Airfix B-29 and P1127 to name two), but I'm pretty certain the FAW9 was a modified T3 tooling - and IIRC Airfix got most of the changes correct.

I do recall they did a batch of the T3s in an Airfix box first, then a couple of months later the FAW9 came out. Pretty certain the T3 was marketed as 'last chance to buy' - albeit that may have been a viral marketing campaign.
It's not an effing  jump jet.

kitnut617

Quote from: P1127 on March 02, 2008, 04:41:50 PM

Now I've heard enough 'the mould has been lost' stories over the years to be careful with anything like that (Airfix B-29 and P1127 to name two), but I'm pretty certain the FAW9 was a modified T3 tooling - and IIRC Airfix got most of the changes correct.

I do recall they did a batch of the T3s in an Airfix box first, then a couple of months later the FAW9 came out. Pretty certain the T3 was marketed as 'last chance to buy' - albeit that may have been a viral marketing campaign.

I know that both the T.3 and Mk.9 I made were both Airfix kits, it wasn't till later I found out that Heller made the T.3 too or first or whatever way around it was.

upnorth

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 01, 2008, 03:49:07 PM
The T.3 has only the two slip tanks under the fuselage, there's no pylons.

The slip tanks must have been specific to the Airfix T.3 then. I built a T.3 from Heller packaging and there were no slip tanks at all.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

kitnut617

Quote from: upnorth on March 03, 2008, 04:53:56 AM

The slip tanks must have been specific to the Airfix T.3 then. I built a T.3 from Heller packaging and there were no slip tanks at all.

Uh Oo! I may have it wrong then, maybe my T.3 didn't have any.  Sorry but I can't remember at the moment as I don't have the model in front of me but I'm sure I put them on it.

Jennings

The T.3 from Heller is the exact same plastic as the Airfix version.  I had both, and they're identical.  It was a Heller product, and came out when I was at University in the early 1980s.  I remember buying one at South Daytona Hobbies, and being surprised that they did a T.3 instead of an operational interceptor.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

P1127

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 03, 2008, 06:52:27 AM

Uh Oo! I may have it wrong then, maybe my T.3 didn't have any.  Sorry but I can't remember at the moment as I don't have the model in front of me but I'm sure I put them on it.

Frog kit had the underfuselage tanks
It's not an effing  jump jet.

kitnut617

Quote from: P1127 on March 03, 2008, 02:48:30 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 03, 2008, 06:52:27 AM

Frog kit had the underfuselage tanks

Yep! on their Mk.9 (got one and it come with pylon tanks too) but did Frog do a T.3 too?  I know the Airfix Mk.9 has the slip tanks for sure.