Микоян - Гуревич, МиГ-21 [Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21] NATO Reporting Name FISHBED

Started by MAD, March 01, 2008, 06:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

I have an Su-22 sitting here on my shelf that's booked for a few modifications, to convert it into a fixed delta-tail like the MiG-21 on growth hormones, but definately, it would be the ultimate final level of this, to have a single engined nosebreather (they're just too damn sexy in Fishbed style) with something like the R-25 or the D-30F6 engines from the monster fighters.  Sheer insanity to do it, and you'd have to make some serious design changes to accomodate such monster engines, but you can bet they'd look faster than hell standing still.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

Quote from: famvburg on June 14, 2009, 11:46:29 AM

I bet MiG's Su-15/21 stablemate would've been basically a Shenyang F-8II.

Like this?

I used the Ye-152A as the basis since it is more reliable than the other, single-engined Ye-152 prototypes.  The lateral intake and solid nose arrangement of the J-8II was allegedly made after the SAC had a look at the MiG-23 the PRC acquired from Egypt...... so I give the Ye-152 Mod the same update based on those from the MiG-23-01 Faithless.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

dy031101

I'm relocating this picture here because I think this thread is more appropriate......

Ah~ the good time I had with Airforce Delta Storm...... it ain't no Ace Combat, but it is IMHO the most visually-pleasing title of the Airforce Delta franchise.

Okay, to the topic.  This is one of the boss jets in the game.  And a tough one, too, capable of absorbing quite a bit of damage before going down.

Basically this jet is two MiG-21MF/bis twinned together.  I think this one is cute (this is coming from a person who normally dislikes MiG-21/J-7 family) and, IMHO, worth making a project of.  Maybe somewhere down the road in the 3DS Max......

I'm thinking...... maybe one nose radome would house a ground attack sensor suite (a la Su-17/22) while the other would have a sophisticated radar (with one crew member dedicated to operate these systems)......

====================

To-do list here

Sauragnmon

It would seem, to me, that they would need somehow to increase the ammount of lifting area on the aircraft, since they in effect doubled the surface weight, without increasing wing area - she'd have wing loading that would drive people insane.  Probably widen the wingspan, perhaps alter the chord, or give her wingtip rails like they tried, as the widened chord at the tip, combined with more span, would give her more wing area.  Additionally, you could take the centerline, and give it a continuous chord section between the two fuselages, even to the point of running a full length lifting body area between the two engines, a Tomcat-esque pancake.  Sensor suite, you could likely take a Fitter's suite in one nose, and the other one, if you expanded the nose, could equally fit the housing for a decent radar.  Or, you could tie it in to my next concept:

I was thinking - the MiG-21's nose is actually about the same size as the Fulcrum - we could solid nose that, and give it a Ye-8 chin intake.  The fuselage can house the RD-33 engine, so we could in essence get the thrust package of the MiG-29 on this fuselage.  The Fitter nose could likely also fit into the same nose section without needing the intake trunked around it, so we have the whole layout possible.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

dy031101

Quote from: Sauragnmon on June 14, 2009, 09:09:04 PM
Probably widen the wingspan, perhaps alter the chord, or give her wingtip rails like they tried, as the widened chord at the tip, combined with more span, would give her more wing area.  Additionally, you could take the centerline, and give it a continuous chord section between the two fuselages, even to the point of running a full length lifting body area between the two engines, a Tomcat-esque pancake.

I've only thought about centreline lifting bodies without swept-back.  Like the F-82 twin-Mustang.

(For asthetics sake I've resisted the idea of altering the outer wings.  ;D  But it's only in my head so far, so anything is still open.)

====================

To-do list here

redstar72

Suppose Sukhoi had developed a Su-9/11 with a MiG-25 engine, as in the MiG Ye-150

They really designed something like this - T-37!

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/xplane/t37.html
http://www.sergib.agava.ru/russia/sukhoi/t/37/t37.htm

or even a twin engined Su-9/11, paralleling MiG's Ye-152, much like an open-nosed Su-15.

This was also real, and even was tested in flight! It was T-5 prototype with two R-11F-300 engines, flown first time at July 18, 1958, and tested until May 1959.

Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

Fulcrum

Thread revival time!!!!

I had a idea over the past 2 days of a stealth Mig-21(paint the radome intake with rcs-reducing material, modify the delta wing to more of a diamond shape & replace the horizontal taliplanes with f-16/f-35 style tailplanes. Plus replacing the vertical fin with a stanted v-style fins).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Sauragnmon

Interesting, though I am left to wonder - RCS reducing material on the radome, wouldn't that reduce the radar's own effectiveness since most such material is Radar Absorbent?  That aside, it's an interesting concept, and certainly a bigger main wing would be handy, as with the adapted tailplanes.  The vertical stabilizer I am not sure on, though giving it a modern tail top like the Fulcrum and Flanker would give it some semblance of a bit more stabilization.  Additionally, one could give it an externalized nozzle and give it a LOAN style nozzle to reduce the IR signature of the engine, while including a modernized engine to increase thrust/weight ratio, possibly thrust vectoring to further up its maneuverability.

Fulcrum

Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

KJ_Lesnick

Imagine a MiG-21 combined with LERX's and chine-shelves, possibly area-ruling *drools*
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Weaver

I have NO IDEA how this would pan out aerodynamically, but the idea of a stealth MiG-21 made me immediately think of cutting the intake lip into "stealthy" zig-zags like F-117 u/c doors..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Radish

Don't forget the Mick Coyne Irish Air Corps MicK-21 Fishface, here in Wizard configuration....
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

dy031101

Looks like CAIG built a full-size mockup of J-7MF (called LSF) forward fuselage.

====================

To-do list here

Black Knight

As The Dark Master rests, the Black Knight protects the New Commonwealth.

Aerotech, Keeping you ahead by any means.

Sauragnmon

Dy, that LSF looks like the fuzzy bunny child of a MiG-21 and an F-16 I swear.