Modellers Commandmants

Started by Mossie, March 04, 2008, 04:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

This idea came after comment by Trevor (Howard of Effingham) to post of mine in the Nimrod thread.  No matter how many of us there are, or what genre we build, there are some 'truths' that apply to all of us.  So what would you say are the Natural Laws of Modelling?  I'll kick off with a few:

Thou shalt have at least one Airfix Vulcan in thy Stash.
Thou shalt have built a Spitfire.
Thou shalt have a kit in thy stash which has been there years but you don't get rid of it because you really want to build it sometime, but probably never will.
Thou shalt hunt for that elusive old knackered kit & pay through the nose for it, only to find Trumpeter/Revell/whoever are releasing one next week.
Thou shalt loose enough tiny items to the Carpet Monster to wonder why thou is not permanently stepping on plastic.

Bring em on!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Great thread ! - Well I can attest to breaking Mossies' first Commandment, the others, I have practised quite regularly as well as some others :-

Thou shalt endeavour to produce enough of a 'mixed' colour not only to paint the model, but to provide for the 'touching-up' later !

Thou should never allow ones' putty to dry-out.

Thou shalt clean paint brushes and airbrushes thoroughly.

Thou should endeavour to keep ones' paws OFF the newly applied paint for at least two-hours after the recommended drying time. Thumbprints are forever and ever, Amen.

and always remember:-

Thou must NEVER paint Enamels over Acryllics....... or is it the other way around  :o

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Though shalt ignore all proper "mixed to the correct shade" paints and use whatever looks right.

Though shalt buy excessive numbers of decal sheets.

Though shalt buy lots and lots of kits that you can sell to a mate later for a fraction of the cost.

Though shalt learn Latin so thou can understand Imperial Roman stencilling.

Thou shalt have fun.

Thou shalt be creative.

Thou shalt tweak even a REAL model so it's really a What If?

Though shalt have many models unfinished.

Though shalt buy lots of reference books for real things that you're going to whiff anyway. :banghead:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Howard of Effingham

hmm, one of my modelling things is.......

you can never have enough                 in the stash. [insert favorite ship/aircraft/tank etc in space]

in my case that's HP Victors  :wacko:

also.....

thou shalt NOT leave decals in the water for too long or try to take them out too early!

the carpet monster demands a daily offering and scrap sprues are never enough.....
Keeper of George the Cat.

Scooterman

Quote from: Mossie on March 04, 2008, 04:03:50 AM
I'm in the same boat as Howard-do Victors count? 
I can honestly say I don't own nor built any. 
Thou shalt have a kit in thy stash which has been there years but you don't get rid of it because you really want to build it sometime, but probably never will.
Italeri C-130 with all the goodies to make a MC-130E Combat Talon.  Someday.....<sigh>
Thou shalt hunt for that elusive old knackered kit & pay through the nose for it, only to find Trumpeter/Revell/whoever are releasing one next week.
Matchbox Canberra PR.9
Thou shalt loose enough tiny items to the Carpet Monster to wonder why thou is not permanently stepping on plastic.
I thought it required a daily feeding?!?

cthulhu77

Though shalt buy a large storage bin, and place into it all spare parts from every model, no matter how miniscule they may be.

Mossie

Quote from: Scooterman on March 04, 2008, 05:53:43 AM
I'm in the same boat as Howard-do Victors count? 
I can honestly say I don't own nor built any. 
I guess Victors count, you tend to be in one camp or the other & I don't own a Matchbox/Revell or Victor but I've often drooled over it in the model shop....

NOT BUILT A SPITFIRE!!!!!  Call yourself a modeler????  :lol:  Good excuse to join the forthcoming Spitfire GB! ;D  To be honest, until about two years ago the only Spit I'd built was my first kit with my Dad.  Then I joined a 1/48 Spit GB on the old Airfix forum & during my research I refound my respect for the old bird.

I'm maybe going wrong with the Carpet Monster, I thought just adding to the stash would stave it's hunger, obviously not!  Mind you, even JHM's collection probably isn't enough to satisfy it......

Few more:
Thou shalt not build thy kit in the order stated in the instructions.
Thou shalt ignore the instructions at thy peril, but do it anyway having come a cropper a thousand times!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

Thou shalt consider the picture on the box to only be a mere "suggestion".

Brian da Basher

Radish

Thou shalt never use the kit decals unless on another kit.

Thou shalt ignore pleadings from SWMBO who calls you just as you're putting a decal on.

Thou shall be inspired by everything and everyone. :wacko:

Nigel Bunker

Thou shalt not get caught by SWMBO smuggling kits into the house.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

John Howling Mouse

Thou shalt ever forget to place sufficient nose weight in an aircraft model, but especially when it was critical to avoid a tailsitter.

Thou shalt begin three new projects for every one in progress (figure that one out!).

Thou shalt insulate thy dwelling with a bounty of unbuilt kits lest you succumb to the elements.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

rallymodeller

Thou shalt keep the Holy Cycle: Putty. Sand. Repeat.

Thou shalt find the old, crap kit of a given subject even though a new, better version of the same subject is available, because the old one came with "prototype" parts -- even though the fit is awful. (Revell TFX, I'm looking at you!)

Thou shalt raise the ire of kit collectors everywhere by building the rare and long out-of-production kit simply because it's the only time the subject was ever kitted. Thou shalt also raise that ire to a fever pitch by marking it as an "in-service" machine or as another nation's equipment (British Army Cheyennes!)

Thou shalt cause much head-scratching at modeling shows. ("I didn't know the USAF used Lightning F.6's...")
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Radish

Thou shalt create humour amongst sane people.

Thou shalt annoy numpties.

Thou shalt create confusion :wacko:

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Brian da Basher on March 04, 2008, 12:15:43 PM
Thou shalt consider the picture on the box to only be a mere "suggestion".

indeed BdB!

but shouldn't there be a commandment.........?  ;D ;D ;D

thou must build at least one model with spats

quite right rad'. annoying numpties ought to be an official sport hereabouts.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Scooterman