Douglas A-26, B-26, JD-1 Invader

Started by jcf, March 05, 2008, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

To begin, a couple of pics of real world variations.
Experimental gun-nose (one each 37mm and 75mm) and night-fighter.

Where else could we take gun-nose and heavy-fighter variations?

Jon

kitnut617

Now there's a couple of neat photos Jon!!  At a quick glance I thought someone had photoshopped the Invader with a Blackwidow.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archangel

For the nightfighter version I would add the 4x.50 cals in a turret from the P-61.

another version would be to have a nose with 4X20mm guns like on the A-20 and the 6X.50 cals in the wings.

jcf

Quote from: Archangel on March 05, 2008, 11:44:33 AM

another version would be to have a nose with 4X20mm guns like on the A-20 and the 6X.50 cals in the wings.

Along with the nose gun configuration shown other combos proposed/tested were:
75mm cannon stbd, two .50 MG port
37mm cannon stbd and port
37mm cannon stbd, two .50 MG port
four .50 MG stbd, 37mm cannon port
four .50 MG stbd, two .50 MG port

Another config studied was for two new design quick-firing 37mm in a ventral pack with magazines extending into the bomb-bay.
The .50Mg wing guns were introduced at the A-26B-50-DL(solid nose) and A-26C-30-DT(glass nose) production blocks.

Jon

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Jeffry Fontaine

Anyone interested in Douglas A-26/B-26 Invader can now download several compressed (zipped) files containing technical manual informaiton, reference drawings, videos, and other images of the B-26/A-26 that have been compiled for your benefit by a someone from another forum called Warbird Information Exchange:

Douglas A-26 Invader plans and drawings

Douglas A-26 Invader pictures

Douglas A-26 Invader Specs and Manuals (part 1)

Douglas A-26 Invader Specs and Manuals (part 2)

Douglas A-26 Invader videos

B-26K Nimrod

Douglas JD-1 Invader

The download process is a bit quirky but with time and much patience you can add these files to your reference library for the A-26/B-26 Invader, B-26K Nimrod, and the fire bomber conversions of this aircraft. 

Here are links for three web pages that are devoted to the Douglas A-26/B-26 Invader:

Douglas A-26 Invader (created by Martin J Simpson) (This web page appears to be the source for much of the content contained in the above zip files)

A-26 and B-26 Invader (13th Bomb Squadron Association)

A-26 (B-26) Invader (''Warthog's'' B-26 Invader Page)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Here's an idea - what if instead of Mosquitos, the RAAF decided to operate A-26Bs instead.  After all, the Mosquito's wooden structure was a concern for the Pacific/tropical use, the RAAF already had a good experience with the A-26's predecessor, the A-20... and if nothing else it provides a good whiff.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: GTX on June 05, 2010, 08:04:41 PM
Here's an idea - what if instead of Mosquitos, the RAAF decided to operate A-26Bs instead.  After all, the Mosquito's wooden structure was a concern for the Pacific/tropical use, the RAAF already had a good experience with the A-16's predecessor, the A-20... and if nothing else it provides a good whiff.

Regards,

Greg

My RAF Squadrons in the SE Asia theatre are doing just that Greg, it may even make Telford this year  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

How about a jet conversion for the Invader?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Hah - I just came on to share the same idea as Greg - 2 years later...... :rolleyes:

Specifically, how about using the engine nacelles from an Il-28 Beagle on an Invader, either by grafting them to the original wings or using the entire Il-28 wing? Unlike a lot of jet necelles they carry main udercarriage in them like piston ones, and the engines are basically Nenes, so they're roughly in the right time frame.

Perhaps you could make it a Russian project using lend-lease airframes and claim it as a progenitor of the Il-28.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nighthunter

Weaver, I just played around with your idea of using Il-28 engines on the A-26, and they are oversized and dont look that good, it wouldn't take much to modify the A-26s engine nacelles into jet engines, they are huge as is is. 
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

van883

I have been meaning to make an Il-28/B-26 hybrid for years-in fact I think it was Trevor (Howard of Effingham who sold me an Il-28 for that purpose.) I may yet get to it.

Van

chrisonord

I have made a counter invader into a contra prop turbo prop version, not quite jet powered but nearly. I also put a 25 mm gatling gun in a turret on it, just to make it even more deadly  :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Right my RAF Invader is finally taking shape but I am in a slight quandary over the thing.

Now my Putnams says the RAF were initially allocated 140 A-26C-DT's of which 2 were delivered. Now in discussing the mark Putnam's declares that the wing panels with internally mounted guns came during the types production run.

So does anyone know if the RAF's were to have the wing mounted guns ?

To be honest I don't think my Invader Mk I will have wing guns as it will be a Mosquito replacement for SEAC. To get around the Mossie's problems in the heat and humidity. It would be nice to know though.

As an after thought I do find some of these USAAF type designations a little complicated. I've got my aged brain around USN WWII types but some of the extensions to the number and suffix on AF types throw me  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

DE, DL, DT refer to the build factories; Douglas El Segundo, Douglas Long Beach and Douglas Tulsa, respectively.
The block numbers are used to track and organize production design changes.

The Putnam states that the wing gun panels were introduced with the -45 block.

Joe Baugher's US serials website lists thirty-two A-26C-30-DT (KL693 - KL708) and A-26C-35-DT (KL709 - KL724) aircraft
that were built for the RAF, but not delivered.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1944_2.html
http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1944_3.html

The site also gives the following:

A-26C-15-DT:
43-22479 on delivery to 9th AF when diverted to Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough, England Dec 18, 1944
          for unspecified trials, later to A&AEE at Boscombe Down.  To RAF as KL690.  Serial TW224 also
          allocated but alloted in error and never carried.  RAF decided not to proceed with the A-26 Mar 1945. 
          Returned to USA Feb 11, 1947.  To US Navy as JD-1 BuNo 80621(?) in 1947.
43-22482 to RAF as KL691 for trials at A&AEE Boscombe Down.  Serial TW222 also allocated but was alloted in error
          but never carried.  Returned to USA Feb 11, 1947.  To US Navy as JD-1 BuNo 80622(?) in 1947.

So, if all that is correct it would mean the aircraft tested were not representative of what would have been received from the production
-30 and -35 blocks, which would have been built with the clamshell canopy, introduced during block 30, but without R-2800-79 engines,
wing gun panels, increased tankage and rocket capability introduced in block 45.

But, if, the whole order 140 aircraft had been built/delivered it would most likely have included aircraft from later blocks.

So, do ya want guns or not pilgrim?  ;D