RAF F-19 Ghost

Started by Nick, March 07, 2008, 01:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

In the late 1970's the British Government decided that Britains role in any future NATO v Warsaw Pact conflict would be concentrated on the battlefields of central Europe. That decision led the RAF to question how they were to crack into Soviet lines given the strong air and radar defences their strategy used, as witnessed in the Middle East in 1973.

BAe's response to the need for a radar-invisible aircraft capable of precision strikes against well defended camouflaged and highly mobile sites was to give the RAF two squadrons of the BAe Ghost GR.1. Entering service in late 1982 and based at well-hidden locations, flying only at night or straight out to sea for practice runs, their existence was not officially revealed until the Cold War ended 7 years later.

They were used in 1990 over Kuwait and Iraq to destroy radar sites and Scud launchers which were being marked by special forces.
One was shot down over Bosnia in 1997 and promptly bombed to tiny pieces by the Tornado backup raid after the pilot got away and called for help.
Her swansong was over Afghanistan in 2005 with the precise destruction of caves in a Taliban held valley, the cool engine exhaust being ideal for avoiding ground launched missiles.

A twin seater version is known to exist but rarely seen in public. Seven of the surviving retired BAe Ghosts are now on display as gate guardians and at museums in the UK and USA. It is suggested that the US govt knew of the aircraft and that Northrop helped a lot with the design, possibly being a partner in the build. This has yet to be confirmed.

Nick :mellow:

Squizz

Very nice. I'm always partial to a good old whiff about British successes :)

Captain Canada

Mmmmm.....gotta love that camo scheme !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

Cool! Which kit is this?

John Howling Mouse

Great idea! And another clean build.  Now, can we see one of those elusive two-seaters, please?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Shasper

Looks like the 1/72 Monogram snap kit?

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Brian da Basher

Nice one, Nick! That's one very clean build with a professional paintjob!

Brian da Basher

Nick

It was the Monogram 1/72 snapkit and I actually got it from someone on this site! Forget who..... :unsure:

As for the 2 seater, that's a very elusive version as it only exists in my fevered imagination! Unless someone has already done one which I don't remember seeing?
I'm actually thinking of the Testors kit which has the option for a single or twin seat cockpit. You'll never believe this but I have 2 of those in 1/48 with an etched brass set as well as the Monogram kit all in 1/48 scale ready for building one day! ;D

I wish I could remember how I got that paint scheme so good as it's one of my best and I don't seem able to do it again.....

Nick :mellow:

Captain Canada

Quote from: Nick on March 07, 2008, 05:28:56 PM
It was the Monogram 1/72 snapkit and I actually got it from someone on this site! Forget who..... :unsure:

Hahaha....I was just thinking the same thing ! I've got a 48th scale bird, that I'm pretty sure baz sent me. Thanks JHM ! Anyway, it was going to be scale-o-rama-d into a 144th scale bomber till it got bumped back in the que.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

noxioux

anthonyp

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 08, 2008, 08:43:22 AM
Anyway, it was going to be scale-o-rama-d into a 144th scale bomber till it got bumped back in the que.

Warped minds think alike, 'cept I did mine up as a 1/72 Aardvark replacement

That snap-tight kit's lookin' good, Nick!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

The Rat

Absolutely gorgeous!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

BlackOps

For some reason this just looks way better in RAF markings than anything else I've seen it done in, nice job :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ysi_maniac

Neat, imaginative, beautiful.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

McColm

Looking gorgeous,  got the snap-tite luminous orange one in the stash