B-35 and B-49 Northrop's Flying Wings

Started by kitnut617, March 08, 2008, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 08, 2011, 10:04:34 PM

So the issue was how much thrust the props produced relative to the specified horsepower and the exact weight?

Yes

QuoteIt was about the range. You probably have seen that Northrop was considering a jet airliner version, even produced a film showing one.

Yeah, but it wouldn't have been feasible.  The pressure-hull requirement would either ended up suffering metal fatigue and going the way of the DH Comet, required a lot of strengthening to avoid metal fatigue negating the benefits of a flying wing, or would have simply not worked.

Very true, in fact on the current BWB airliner Boeing concepts team are wrestling with this very issue, some solutions are to create a series of partially overlapping cylinders with access "aisles" between them. The film that Northrop made of a passenger wing in the late 40's shows it operating at heights not needing pressurization - which were also not feasible. Would have been pretty scenic, going cross country at 12,000 ft, sneaking through gaps in the Rocky Mtns....

QuoteAtomic started decreasing by the start of the 50's ( Mark 5, 6 and especially the Mark 7) but the early thermonuclear jumped back up again in size , especially the Mark 17 which was a lot like the Grand Slam of Barnes Wallis' design. Actually too long to fit in some aircraft. A big table of all this at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cold_War_nuclear_bombs_of_the_United_States

So Mk.7, Mk.8, and so forth?

Whichever would fit, which looks like about half of them from the big list of destruction.
Puzzling that later on, the B-58 Hustler got a pass on this same issue, but only by combining the weapon into an external fuel tank.

So they'd pull the stick back and chop the power, then raise the power as necessary to hold the desired speed?

That way would work, done carefully.

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

KJ_Lesnick

Russ C

QuoteYes

Understood

QuoteVery true, in fact on the current BWB airliner Boeing concepts team are wrestling with this very issue, some solutions are to create a series of partially overlapping cylinders with access "aisles" between them.

I thought the plan was to use composites to defeat the metal fatigue issue?  As I understand it the compartments were to ultimately be rectangular (composites) with connecting passageways between them (the idea was that it would be more structurally efficient than having one big pressure hull and some airframe structure could be fitted between the cabins.

QuoteThe film that Northrop made of a passenger wing in the late 40's shows it operating at heights not needing pressurization - which were also not feasible. Would have been pretty scenic, going cross country at 12,000 ft, sneaking through gaps in the Rocky Mtns....

The problem would be too much drag I would guess and thus insufficient range...

QuoteWhichever would fit, which looks like about half of them from the big list of destruction.

Assuming this isn't classified, are there any pictures of what the YB-35's bomb-bays looked like?

QuoteThat way would work, done carefully.

Still the planes speed would drop in order to do this, no?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

RussC

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 13, 2011, 07:00:18 PM
Russ C

QuoteVery true, in fact on the current BWB airliner Boeing concepts team are wrestling with this very issue, some solutions are to create a series of partially overlapping cylinders with access "aisles" between them.

I thought the plan was to use composites to defeat the metal fatigue issue?  As I understand it the compartments were to ultimately be rectangular (composites) with connecting passageways between them (the idea was that it would be more structurally efficient than having one big pressure hull and some airframe structure could be fitted between the cabins.

Thats a new one for me, I hope its the case. My internals info goes back to 2007, from a NASA article.

QuoteThe film that Northrop made of a passenger wing in the late 40's shows it operating at heights not needing pressurization - which were also not feasible. Would have been pretty scenic, going cross country at 12,000 ft, sneaking through gaps in the Rocky Mtns....

The problem would be too much drag I would guess and thus insufficient range...

Absolutely, plus some real problems with weather.

QuoteWhichever would fit, which looks like about half of them from the big list of destruction.

Assuming this isn't classified, are there any pictures of what the YB-35's bomb-bays looked like?

I have no photos or links, probably the best are the cutaway illustrations done by graphic artists of the day. I think the doors, if you want to measure from the 3-views are going to be wider in their openings in the hull, than their height...it was the thickness of the wing as the limiter. In my mind the immediate solution would be bulged bay doors to gain girth.

QuoteThat way would work, done carefully.

Still the planes speed would drop in order to do this, no?

yes, definitely.

KJ_Lesnick

Russ C

QuoteThats a new one for me, I hope its the case. My internals info goes back to 2007, from a NASA article.

Oh, I was talking about the McDonnell Douglas double-decker BWB from the late 1990's.  I remember composites being proposed.  

Regardless judging by this drawing, they also use similar rectangular shaped compartments

QuoteAbsolutely, plus some real problems with weather.

True

QuoteI have no photos or links, probably the best are the cutaway illustrations done by graphic artists of the day.

I haven't found any of those

QuoteIn my mind the immediate solution would be bulged bay doors to gain girth.

Makes sense
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Daryl J.

I would not propose a Zwilling of these machines.     :blink:

RussC

Quote from: Daryl J. on December 16, 2011, 01:03:18 PM
I would not propose a Zwilling of these machines.     :blink:

No, but for some reason, it did spark an idea of a MISTEL of these machines! Imagine a XB-35 with XP-79 parasites and then think about a German E555 Arado with a Horten 229 above it in the Mistel piggyback setup.

Wheels slowly turning, gray matter vibrating and a slight smell reminiscent of burning meatloaf..... :o

Joe C-P

But perhaps a biplane...
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

RussC

Quote from: JoeP on December 16, 2011, 07:06:16 PM

But perhaps a biplane...

Before Hill in England, and Northrop in the USA and Cheranovski in Russia began their designs, John Dunne was creating flying wings in biplane and monoplane configurations.

KJ_Lesnick

RussC,

Wait a second... if they were increasing stability by increasing AoA it wouldn't make a difference because when you stall a plane you put it past the critical AoA -- you'd be at high alpha anyway...

RussC

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 24, 2011, 01:22:09 PM
RussC,

Wait a second... if they were increasing stability by increasing AoA it wouldn't make a difference because when you stall a plane you put it past the critical AoA -- you'd be at high alpha anyway...

The thing was not to exceed a certain angle or hit stall speed. Thinking the same thing that I am? Personally, I don't see how that was any less demanding of pilot inputs and concentration than keeping normal "unstable" flight, and I still don't see the advantage they claimed if that was so. Mind you, this is from a few articles read. I have not personally flown an XB-35 (except in very fervent dreams, and usually with female crews) but just regular trainers and bug smashers.

raafif

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

KJ_Lesnick

RussC,

QuoteThe thing was not to exceed a certain angle or hit stall speed.

Well, I've been told the plane was unstable and had abysmal stall and spin characteristic.  However, as I said before a Northrop test pilot was able to stall, and recover the aircraft under circumstances which were photographed.  You were saying that they sometimes flew the plane at higher alphas in order to make the plane more stable, but for a stall, the plane would have to go past the critical alpha and since the plane could be stalled and recovered, the point is that whether it was flown at low or high alpha it would still be stallable and recoverable.

Stargazer

Quote from: raafif on December 25, 2011, 07:48:43 PM
not from Northrop but Horton via Captain America ....

Brilliant flying wing from Hydra! But this should read HortEn, not Horton...

Old Wombat

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on January 02, 2012, 05:34:57 AM
Quote from: raafif on December 25, 2011, 07:48:43 PM
not from Northrop but Horton via Captain America ....

Brilliant flying wing from Hydra! But this should read HortEn, not Horton...
Picky! Picky! :P

Man, given some of the spelling & typo's one sees... :rolleyes:

;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Stargazer

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 02, 2012, 06:15:59 AM
Man, given some of the spelling & typo's one sees... :rolleyes:

As a former teacher, I hate typos for a start... but in this particular case it's on someone's name, and a major source of confusion: The "Horton" vs. Horten mistake is a very common one in aviation circles and I fight it as best as I can, not only because "Horten" is German while "Horton" is American, but also because there was once a Horton in America who designed some strange all-wing prototypes and had NOTHING to do with Germany's Horten!!