B-35 and B-49 Northrop's Flying Wings

Started by kitnut617, March 08, 2008, 05:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Looks more like a Submarine control room with a periscope in the middle!
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on August 17, 2011, 02:05:26 AM
Looks more like a Submarine control room with a periscope in the middle!

The first thing that crossed my mind was 'Starship Enterprise'!  ;D

But very handy for anyone building one, and I think I've got one in The Loft. Not seen it for ages though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on August 17, 2011, 12:28:23 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 14, 2011, 12:43:20 PM
A nice bit of period conjecture based on the layout of the N1M, two photos of which appear on page 32
of the same issue.

Quote from: GTX on July 15, 2011, 01:20:31 PM
Modelling that N1M based design as a bomber and then putting that drawing alongside would through some JMNs off. ;D

I believe you guys actually mean "N9M", as the N1M was a whole different bird called the "Flying Jeep".

No, we know exactly what we are talking about, and if you paid attention to my post you'll note that the drawing
is from the January 1942 issue of Air Trails, which would have gone to press in December of 1941,
a full year before the first flight of N9M.

Stargazer

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 17, 2011, 12:43:14 PM
No, we know exactly what we are talking about, and if you paid attention to my post you'll note that the drawing
is from the January 1942 issue of Air Trails, which would have gone to press in December of 1941,
a full year before the first flight of N9M.

I can sense some irony in your post. I'm sorry if I offended you, that really wasn't the idea. I thought about a possible typo, as can happen regularly on forums, no-one is exempt from them I believe.

KJ_Lesnick

Anybody know of Northrop's N-31 design?  It was a bomber, it had a partial fuselage...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Stargazer

Yep, Kendra, definitely. There were several iterations of the design. I can send you a few pics by mail if you want.

ReccePhreak

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on August 17, 2011, 12:31:24 AM
A few images of the XB-35's cockpit arrangement taken from Northrop official maintenance manuals:

All I see are red X's.
Larry

Stargazer

Well, you quoted the supposed red x-es, and in fact they show pretty well and fill a whole page on my end... Are you the only one who can't see the pics?

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Hobbes

Can't see them either.

This happens in two cases:
- the forum/website that hosts the images requires you to be logged in to see pictures, or
- the forum/website that hosts the images disallows hotlinking. You can see the images because they're in your browser's cache memory.

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Patron Zero on August 10, 2011, 02:13:02 AM
Just my unsolicited two pence but I've always thought the (X)B-35/47 would have been an excellent in-flight refueling tanker or serve in some other supportive role such as command-control or perhaps even AWAC.

Hi Patron:

I asked Maverick (John) who was kind enough to create profiles for such uses:

- F-16A (N9M with HeS011 Turbo Jets): http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Maverick65au/Album%20Part%202/?action=view&current=N9M1.jpg
- F-17A: http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Maverick65au/Album%20Part%202/?action=view&current=B-3502.jpg
- KB-35A: http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Maverick65au/Album%20Part%202/?action=view&current=B-3503.jpg
- B-35A Tiger Force with a Grand Slam: http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Maverick65au/Album%20Part%202/?action=view&current=B-3505.jpg

These and many more Flying Wing profiles can be found here:

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Maverick65au/Album%20Part%202/?start=all

Carl
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Big Gimper

Very nice. My attempt is not as nice but I do unfortunately have a seatbelt OCD.  :rolleyes:  I used the PE from the Airwaves A-37.

I did add a shroud to the front of the instrument panel as it did look exposed after closing up the fuselage halves.

As someone on another forum noted, great looking cockpit which will be hidden from view.

Carl
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Stargazer

Wow. Maverick outdid himself on these!

I'm so sorry about the pics I posted. I linked them from Secret Projects, so I guess those who were able to see them are those who are also members there. Sorry about that... I'll try to find a solution soon.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on August 17, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
Yep, Kendra, definitely. There were several iterations of the design. I can send you a few pics by mail if you want.

Yup, I'd love it
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.