Saab-Hawker Siddeley

Started by bacofoil, March 09, 2008, 12:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

Welcome,bacofoil - the hard work was well worth it!

Jetfixer

Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me when I start both of mine.
Hey, who's dissing the good old Jet Pig? :o ;D. ok, agreed the 1, 2, 3, and 5 were underpowered but the T4 was a bit of a hooligans tool as it had the Viper 202 shoved into a T3 airframe.  ;D (but still had the T3 brakes  :banghead:

All the best.

Greg

i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

bacofoil

I remember having a good look over a Saab 105 at Farnborough Air Show way back when I worked at RAE.The engineering by Saab was really good and simple.
Wonders,should the RAF have had the Gripen instead of Typhoon ?.

Jetfixer

Agreed with the RAF Gripen. I thought so too when I did my 11sqn Gripen FGR1. I'm sure there's a piccie of it someplace here but I can't find it.   :huh:

All the best.

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

Captain Canada

Nice work, Bacofoil ! Looks right at home in those colours, eh ? I've always thought it was a funny looking bird, kind of an ugly duckling. But it does look as if it would make a good COIN/FAC/ ground attack type a/c.

The Gripen looks rather tasty as well !

( where the heck is that darn 'cheers' smiley ? )

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Welcome aboard!!

Love the Saabs.  IIRC there was a lot of BAe input on the Gripen.  If you look through the British Secret Project books there are a few 80s designs that look like definite Gripen ancestors.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Mossie

Hi Bacofoil, good work on the 105 & the Gripen!  Welcome to the madhouse!

AD, Robert (Kitnut) has a theory that the Gripen can be traced back even further to the Hunter.  The fuselage of the Gripen & those earlier designs definately have very similar lines & although it may just be a case of design convergance, some of the BAe engineers will almost certainly have worked on the Hunter at some time.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

Brilliant work Bacofoil and welcome to the loony bin.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Squizz

What a great idea. I love it. More, more.

bacofoil

Yep indeed it is your Gripen.Sorry didnt mean to give the impression it was mine.I just used it to to fill in on my comment about the RAF using it instead of Typhoon.
Looks very right in RAF colours.

B777LR

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 10, 2008, 08:16:52 PM
If you look through the British Secret Project books there are a few 80s designs that look like definite Gripen ancestors.
Looks doesnt mean that its got any relations to the Gripen. Some say the J-10 is a copy of the Lavi. Those have as much commonality as the Boeing 777 has with the Airbus A330...

kitnut617

Quote from: B777LR on March 13, 2008, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 10, 2008, 08:16:52 PM
If you look through the British Secret Project books there are a few 80s designs that look like definite Gripen ancestors.
Looks doesnt mean that its got any relations to the Gripen. Some say the J-10 is a copy of the Lavi. Those have as much commonality as the Boeing 777 has with the Airbus A330...

It actually says in the BSP book that not only were a bunch of designers and engineers from BAe sort-of on loan to Saab, but much of the design of the BAe P.116/120 went with them.

As to the Lavi, it is pretty much known that the Israelis sold the design to China, at least that's what I've been reading.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Quote from: B777LR on March 13, 2008, 01:54:47 PM
The Hunter isn't necesarily related to the Gripen, but it's if some of the same engineers worked on the two projects, or even their apprentices then you will get some influence.  That & the Hunter & Gripen were a similar size & designed for the same role.  Knowledge tends to filter throughout the industry & that's why many aircraft like the Rafale, Gripen, Lavi, J-10 & Eurofighter have similarities.

Also, in the Cold War days if you were a British engineer & went & worked for the Chinese, you were a traitor.  These days, it's part of the global market & a engineer may freely go & work for another country, within reason.  This way engineering knowledge filters from one corner of the world to another.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

Quote from: bacofoil on March 13, 2008, 12:20:42 PM
Looks very right in RAF colours.

The Gripen looks good in RN Fleet Air Arm colours as well. I built the Airfix Gripen and put her in 899SQN colours a while ago. There were pictures of her on the old site. She's currently boxed up and in storage
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

GTX

Nice 105.  I've been thinking of doing a RAAF one for a while now - probably in the same scheme as the RAAF's Macchis.

QuoteBut it does look as if it would make a good COIN/FAC/ ground attack type a/c.

The Sk 60B, C, G, 105XH and 105XT all had attack capabilities/roles to varying degrees.

BTW, welcome aboard.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!