B

Who said the E-10 wouldnt be built?

Started by B777LR, March 12, 2008, 05:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Shasper

The E-10 Multi Mission Sensor A/C or some goobly muck like that *was* suppost to be a replacement for the JSTARs and some of the RC-135s IIRC, However that program got canned a while back due to budgetary issues. The pics you've listed just shows a unmarked 767 or 777 (i cant tell this early in the morning), the lack of the ventral radar "canoe" or any other distinguishing marks doesnt make it a E-10 necessarily

This is what the E-10 might have looked like.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

B777LR

Quote from: Shasper on March 12, 2008, 07:10:04 AM
The pics you've listed just shows a unmarked 767 or 777 (i cant tell this early in the morning), the lack of the ventral radar "canoe" or any other distinguishing marks doesnt make it a E-10 necessarily

Boeing has listed this as the single E-10. Boeings order books show a single 767-400 remaining (as seen in the photos), and that it one is for the USAF.
This 764 is painted in a light grey colour, and if it was for an airline, the rudder would already be painted in the airlines colours. The windows are plugged, and Boeing doesnt offer a freighter conversion for the 767-400. The canoe wouldnt be fitted at the factory, that would be a conversion after the aircraft has been flown.
Boeing wouldnt just build a 767-400, and hope to sell it.
Apart from that, it will probably end up as a JSTARS testbed with the USAF, and eventually go to NASA (unless the USAF decides it wants more)

Shasper

*If* anything it could have been a flight test a/c for the KC-767 (which is a mutt of -300 & -400 '67s), that would be the only other explanation unless theres something else going on. As far as a JSTARS replacement goes, nothing is on the board at this time & the near future doesnt hold anything dazzling, there was talk after the E-10 got canned about putting the new ventral radar on the JSTARs, but that in itself would be impossible 'cuz of the size of the radar in relation to the l/g of the 707 (hence the E-10 proposal in the first place!).

Thats about as much as I know, and thats as far as I'll go, I'll watch the rest on FNS.
Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.