48th scale C-47 and DC-3 (Trumpeter, Monogram, Revell)

Started by Daryl J., March 12, 2008, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

I won't be turning it into a T-Tail jet-powered variant.

Are they serious with the price?  Makes me appreciate my old Monogram one all the more.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

braincells37

I won't be converting it into a B-23. My inexpensive Monogram kit will suffice quite nicely for that "little" project.
IPMS Seattle 'President For Life'

Jeffry Fontaine

There is a sneak preview of the kit contents on Hyperscale.  Not that the images will provide all of the details but you can see the extra parts sprue containing the mini-gun modules and propellers in the one image.  Looking forward to seeing the box contents myself sometime soon.  Not that I need this kit but it will be nice to compare the contents to the original C-47 kit.  Wonder if the paratroopers are still provided in the new kit? 

If Revell-Monogram had any vision, they might have thought about offering a C-47 with the external parachute cargo container racks for another building option (see attached image for what I am describing).  The original C-47 kit had a nice little diorama building pamphlet by Shep Paine included that had some details on how he built the cargo containers for his C-47 diorama. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Just in case you were wondering if this was something new or a copy of something old in regards to the AC-47 parts.  The attached image shows what was included in the Cutting Edge AC-47 conversion kit.  The Cutting edge conversion is a further interpretation of an even older resin conversion from In-Country Models (located in Tucson, AZ) which is quite crude by today's standards but in 1990 it was the only game in town.  Having both of these in my possession over the years I can say that the In-Country conversion was quite primitive and about the only thing worth salvaging from it was the flare storage box.  The entire kit was molded in a red-brown resin and it was a bit soft on details.  Not that the Cutting Cheese conversion was any leap forward as it too suffers in several areas. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

LemonJello

Oohh, I think I'm going to be getting one of these sometime in the future.  I've got an AC-130U in the stash, and my AV-22, so I can't really pass up on getting an AC-47. 

Anyone know if there's a C-119 in 1/48?  Then I can add another project to the gunship collection...
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

noxioux

This one's absolutely going on my list.  I built an F-105 for a guy awhile back who had some dealings with an AC-47 "Spooky".  Very cool.

Daryl J.

No parachutists from what I remember.   

Mine's going to be in the markings of a private air charter.....oh....the miniguns will be gone too.    A civvie C-47 conversion  this one will be.

Daryl J.

philp

Even though I almost always build in 72nd scale, I may have to buy one of these.  I bought the old C-47 back when it came out with the intention of turning it into Puff.  Never bought any of the conversion sets and finally sold it off with my other 48th scale stuff.
This and the Airfix B-57 (to make an EB-57B like my Dad used to work on) may just make me get out of 72nd for a short period, even though I have both planes in kit form in 72nd scale.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

The new 1/48th scale Trumpeter C-47A Skytrain kit is now available for your consumption via the on-line retail concessions and through your local hobby shops.  The current MSRP is $149.95 which is quite a lot of money for a model that has but a few more bells and whistles than the original Monogram release of the same subject.  Cybermodeler of course now has a "glowing report" on the new model, you can read all about it at this link: Trumpeter C-47A Skytrain kit review by Michael Benolkin

Jennings

Quote from: LemonJello on May 27, 2008, 03:57:03 PM
Anyone know if there's a C-119 in 1/48?

No, and if you mention that again, I'm going to send you to your room and make you build models until you straighten up, young man!

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

LemonJello

Quote from: Jennings on July 07, 2008, 06:40:56 PM
Quote from: LemonJello on May 27, 2008, 03:57:03 PM
Anyone know if there's a C-119 in 1/48?

No, and if you mention that again, I'm going to send you to your room and make you build models until you straighten up, young man!

:)

J
But, all I asked was if there was a C-119 in 1/48 ;)  My gunship collection would be complete with an AC-119 (after I get the AC-47 and build my AC-130)
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

Jeffry Fontaine

Michael Benolkin has done a in-box review of the 1/48th scale Monogram AC-47 kit.  Since I have not seen the kit in person and have had to rely on feedback from others that have the kit.  My main concern was over what type of mini-gun was included in the kit.  This mystery has now been solved.  The weapon in question is the General Electric MXU-470 7.62mm Mini-gun Module as shown in this image from Wikipedia:

This weapon was an improvement over the original SUU-11 gun pod that was the basis of two other AC-47 conversions offered in resin from In-Country Hobbies and Cutting Cheese (Edge)  Productions (Meteor). 

Andy Garcia's AC-47 Conversion from Modeling Madness

jcf

I notice that Mikey couldn't get through the review of the Monogram kit without praising Trumpeter's C-47. Schmuck.

Jon

Hawkeye

I got to fondle the new Trump kit... :thumbsup: If it weren't so damn expensive I'd have one.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 16, 2008, 11:05:12 AMI notice that Mikey couldn't get through the review of the Monogram kit without praising Trumpeter's C-47. Schmuck.
I noticed that as well.  Maybe "payola" is making a comeback :)

Regardless of what others may say about the venerable Monogram C-47/DC-3 kit it is by and far the best value for the money spent.  Anyone that espouses the benefits of the Trumpeter kit must have a lot of money to waste on this hobby.