48th scale C-47 and DC-3 (Trumpeter, Monogram, Revell)

Started by Daryl J., March 12, 2008, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Since the Trumpy kit *is* so expensive, it would be a kick to get one and turn it into an autogyro in order to spurn a few RWM's.   

But, since the lottery has not favored me enough to even try.........it remains an idea.

Daryl J.

Brian da Basher

This is the first time I can recall seeing a review of one kit being used so blatantly to flog another maker's kit. Looks like the reviewer is in someone's pocket.

Brian da Basher

Hawkeye

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 16, 2008, 12:33:20 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 16, 2008, 11:05:12 AMI notice that Mikey couldn't get through the review of the Monogram kit without praising Trumpeter's C-47. Schmuck.
I noticed that as well.  Maybe "payola" is making a comeback :)

Regardless of what others may say about the venerable Monogram C-47/DC-3 kit it is by and far the best value for the money spent.  Anyone that espouses the benefits of the Trumpeter kit must have a lot of money to waste on this hobby.

If you take that stance, then all of the "premium" automobiles are a waste of money too. You don't need a Lexus, just drive a Toyota...Who needs a Cadillac when you can own a Chevy...both accomplish the same task.

There has always been expensive kits in our hobby. It wasn't that long ago when there were kits that we considered not affordable yet we purchased. Some of those early expensive kits were inferior to the cheaper mainstream kits...yet they were the only show in town to model a given subject. We didn't get much for all those shekels.

Regardless of the kit, manufacture or subject of the model, there are places in the hobby for every kit. Many of us may not be able to afford them, but there are those who can.

I want to purchase a nice shiny new Cessna Caravan to fly...in practicality I would have to settle for a new Light Sport Aircraft...in reality...I just get to sit and watch someone else fly them. There is a place for everything, just because I cannot afford them does it mean they shouldn't be produced.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

Jeffry Fontaine

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly details provided by Chris Banyai-Riepl on the Trumpeter 1/48 C-47A Skytrain at Internet Modeler.

Still not impressed thanks to the incredibly hideous price they are asking for this kit but I will say that if it was available for $20.00 I would certainly consider purchasing one or two.  So for now I will continue to place my faith in the reasonably priced Monogram kit which has raised surface details just like the real aircraft. 

Maybe Cutting Cheese will make a comeback to provide all of the necessary corrections for the Trumpeter kit and raise the cost of your modeling project by another 200%...
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Brett Green has finally caught up with the other forums and has his own kit review over on Hyperscale for the 1/48th scale Trumpeter C-47 kit
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 11, 2008, 09:16:51 AMYou know, I think Trumpeter are a modelling version of The Emperor's New Clothes (and that was Chinese too!).

What was that other Chinese quote?  "May you live in interesting times" or something like that? 

I figure that Trumpeter has some high hopes of separating modelers from their money with the prices they are charging, of course the greedy bostages that are in the middle of this as the sole importer of the kits to country X are also to blame.