F7F (P-65) Tigercat

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, March 14, 2008, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

Was thinking of doing a cut and shut job on a F7F to create a slim, V-1710 engined F6F type fighter for the USAAF. I have a donor ready but have to admit to being a little hesitant. How rare are Monogram F7Fs these days?

The Wooksta!

Not easy but then again, not difficult to find either.  Revell reboxed them recently, at least within the last ten years.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

sideshowbob9

Ah, thanks for that. The project has stalled but is very much still on my to do list.

johnsjunk

I like your idea of doing an F7F Tigercat with wing tip tanks and SEA camo.
Here is my F7F-3 Junglecat I am almost finished with. Still needs antennas and decals. Its a 1/48 scale AMT/ERTL.

NARSES2

Nice Tigercat  :thumbsup:

Always liked the aircraft. I have one in the stash which will eventually be BPF.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Mmm, just had a thought.  Slim-line nacelles, with mmmm, Griffins?  Interestingly different look, methinks.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

pyro-manic

Or Merlin 130/131s, a la Hornet. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

I've got one somewhere that'll be a FAA one - cut down fuselage, bubble hood, Centaurus engines (the US were looking at licence building it) and five blade props.

However, it's been sitting there for four years so I doubt it'll get done anytime soon.  At least not for another year...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

ysi_maniac

Tigercat is quite sleek that's why I think she deserves sleeker engines like RR Griffon. Wings have been a little enlarged too.

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KJ_Lesnick

The F7F from what I remember was to be built in parallel with a USAAF concept called the P-65 which was to differ in the following

• Pressurized Cockpit
  • Turbocharger
Would the turbocharger alter the shape of the nacelle at all or in any significant way?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

jcf

KJ_Lesnick

JCF

That's actually fascinating: I always thought the F7F and P-65's were derivatives of each other. 

I didn't know the design continued to be modified several times over before it would proceed to the F7F

Thanks for the information
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

I was doing some looking at these pages
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f7f/F7F-1_80262.pdf
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f7f/F7F-1_Airplane_Characteristics_Performance.pdf

Honestly some of this data makes little to no sense

• In the first document it seems to list the critical altitude as 23,400' or 23,500' at military power and 24,000 at normal power with both engines running
  • In the second document I'm kind of puzzled that they would list the performance figures based on a cruise of 15,000 feet: Generally the best performance favors a cruising altitude at or slightly above the critical altitude
  • The climb performance data specified in the second document seems rather difficult to make sense of: While either set of graphed data indicates an unusually high climb-speed, one seems to show climb figures that are more jet-like (faster you go, faster you climb); Are one of these figures a zoom-climb?

perttime

I wish they'd made a Tigercat with a bubble canopy. Like the one they put on the Bearcat, or smaller. If a second crew member is needed, he could have a small bubble like on Beaufighter or DH Sea Hornet.