F7F (P-65) Tigercat

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, March 14, 2008, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

Quote from: chrisonord on October 02, 2009, 08:11:06 AM
When I can eventually find a 1/72nd scale Tigercat, I want to convert it into a turbo prop modern day COIN aircraft.
Keep the nose guns, put wing tip tanks on, fit a FLIR turret under the nose or rear fuselage. Weaponry can consist of the usual free fall bombs gun/rocket pods, but it could also carry Hellfire and maverick missiles. A maritime patrol aircraft would also be a good option, with the turbo prop engines, and armed with Sea Skua's, Penguins and a pair of heavy rocket pods and a FLIR turret. The nose could be modded to house a radar, and the guns could be housed in a belly pack.
But I have yet to find one :huh:...............bugger :angry:
Chris.

For years I have been ordering OOP kits from Dean's Hobby Stop in Michigan.  His prices are great, and there always seems to be Monogram Tigercats in stock.

Wes W.

kitnut617

When I can eventually find a 1/72nd scale Tigercat, I want to convert it into a turbo prop modern day COIN aircraft.
Keep the nose guns, put wing tip tanks on, fit a FLIR turret under the nose or rear fuselage. Weaponry can consist of the usual free fall bombs gun/rocket pods, but it could also carry Hellfire and maverick missiles. A maritime patrol aircraft would also be a good option, with the turbo prop engines, and armed with Sea Skua's, Penguins and a pair of heavy rocket pods and a FLIR turret. The nose could be modded to house a radar, and the guns could be housed in a belly pack.
Chris.

Chris --- check out Kingkit, they have a couple for just under 20 quid each  
http://www.kingkit.co.uk/kingkit/
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Just call me Ray

These guys seem pretty good - either that or its my imagination because they have the 1/72 Concorde and B-1B for just under 30 quid!

Then again, to a no-budget guy like me from the States that still seems like a lot :P
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

sequoiaranger

Hey, chrisonord, I looked in my stash, and I have TWO 1/72 Tigercat kits---an UN-built Monogram one, and the Aoshima (actually quite good) one in the same box, along with a conversion kit for the extra window for the radar operator behind the pilot. The Aoshima one has the large propeller spinners. The partially-built kit from Bill Gruner I thought I had is.....gone? Dunno.

I would love to "trade" this/these for an MPM/Special Hobby Brewster Buccaneer or equivalent $$.

PM me, please!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Stargazer

Quote from: famvburg on October 02, 2009, 03:59:38 PM

Here's my "F-65C".

Love it! But then again, I love the F7F so much that even a conversion as an ice-cream parlor or garbage collector would look nice to me!  ;D

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 03, 2009, 09:44:09 AM
Chris.

Chris --- check out Kingkit, they have a couple for just under 20 quid each  
http://www.kingkit.co.uk/kingkit/
Cheers for the heads upon those Robert, but 20 quid????? half that price is more like what I want to pay for one.
Thanks anyway,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Simplest idea, how about inline engines, maybe Allison V-1710's or Packard Merlins?  I've always thought that those fat radials with the slim fuselage make a pretty figure look slightly odd.  Going a step further, you could use the arrangement used on the DH Hornet for an even slimmer look.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Mossie

Not quite what I had in mind, the big Napier Nomad & annular intakes give it a similar look to a radial.  Something a bit smaller & slimmer was the kind of look I was thinking of.  Cool though! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Stargazer

Quote from: philp on February 07, 2011, 01:32:38 PM
Are you thinking of Zeke's that was up for a Whiffie last year?

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23011.45.html

Gee!!!  :o :o :o

I hadn't seen that one. Surely deserved a Whiffie! Brilliant in every way.

pyro-manic

Quote from: Mossie on February 07, 2011, 07:34:02 AM
Simplest idea, how about inline engines, maybe Allison V-1710's or Packard Merlins?  I've always thought that those fat radials with the slim fuselage make a pretty figure look slightly odd.  Going a step further, you could use the arrangement used on the DH Hornet for an even slimmer look.

I think Hornet/Mosquito-style Merlins (or even Grifffons) with leading-edge radiators could look very good indeed. :thumbsup:

Anyone know what happened to Zeke? He disappeared quite suddenly a while back...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

That's what I was after! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thrust line, I'm never quite sure how much importance this should be given.  I think it's less important with multi-engine types, there tend to be more that have swapped radials & inlines than single eninge types?  Visibility is just 'different' to the radial engined machine I guess, pros & cons & all that.

PS, loving that COIN Tigercat!

Mossie

Here's another thought, cut down the spine a bit, add a long bubble canopy to it like that of the F-15 Reporter for extra slinky-ness. :party:

famvburg

What little I'm aware of, thrust lines are quite important. Some things I've read indicate it can have an effect similar to the a/c center of gravity, so it's pretty crucial.

Quote from: Mossie on February 08, 2011, 03:05:55 AM
That's what I was after! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thrust line, I'm never quite sure how much importance this should be given.  I think it's less important with multi-engine types, there tend to be more that have swapped radials & inlines than single eninge types?  Visibility is just 'different' to the radial engined machine I guess, pros & cons & all that.

PS, loving that COIN Tigercat!