F7F (P-65) Tigercat

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, March 14, 2008, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apophenia

Quote from: Mossie on February 08, 2011, 03:40:39 AM
Here's another thought, cut down the spine a bit, add a long bubble canopy ...

Maybe graft on a Bearcat upper fuselage and cockpit/canopy?

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on February 08, 2011, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: Mossie on February 08, 2011, 03:40:39 AM
Here's another thought, cut down the spine a bit, add a long bubble canopy ...

Maybe graft on a Bearcat upper fuselage and cockpit/canopy?

Raising the cockpit would obviously increase vision.  Unfortunately, it also increases drag.  With the decision to not change the engine nacelles, you've already added considerable drag to an inline engined machine.   Slim those down and then raise the cockpit and you might compensate for the increased drag from the cockpit's new position.  An F8's cockpit would look good, I think but aren't we essentially simply redesigning the Hornet here?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

apophenia

Quote from: rickshaw on February 08, 2011, 03:53:15 PM
... but aren't we essentially simply redesigning the Hornet here?  ;)

Yup  ;D  I wasn't suggesting raising the cockpit though. Just substituting a bubble canopy.

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on February 08, 2011, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 08, 2011, 03:53:15 PM
... but aren't we essentially simply redesigning the Hornet here?  ;)

Yup  ;D  I wasn't suggesting raising the cockpit though. Just substituting a bubble canopy.

An American Hornet?   Perhaps it should be coloured green instead of blue?  ;)

Show us!  :)

Mossie

Not me.  My idea was simply to slim the Tigercat down & give it mods to take it in line with late/post war developments.  Also just to further pretty up what is already a pretty aircraft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on February 09, 2011, 06:23:38 AM
Not me.  My idea was simply to slim the Tigercat down & give it mods to take it in line with late/post war developments.  Also just to further pretty up what is already a pretty aircraft.

Never found the Tigercat all that pretty myself.  Personally I prefer the Hornet for the same role.  Now there's a pretty plane!   :wub:

Old Wombat

Side-by-side-by-side comparison; de Havilland Hornet. Westland Whirlwind & Grumman F7F Tigercat.

I find both British birds prettier than the American but a Merlin/Griffon powered Tigercat might look better (if the fuselage is made a little less anorexic).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Stargazer

Bah! The Whirlwind looks like a pencil, and the Hornet's tail and nose are ugly! Saw the Tigercat fly and it's such a beautiful machine. Feline in every way. True, it is a little slim, but that would be perfect for a COIN aircraft!

Old Wombat

"Eye of the beholder" & all that. :thumbsup:

Stargazer

Yep. Meanwhile, may I suggest... the Westland Wildcat I.  ;D

kitnut617

I would suggest a Welkin tail SG2006 ---  ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on February 09, 2011, 07:17:51 AM
Bah! The Whirlwind looks like a pencil, and the Hornet's tail and nose are ugly! Saw the Tigercat fly and it's such a beautiful machine. Feline in every way. True, it is a little slim, but that would be perfect for a COIN aircraft!

Don't let the Wooksta read this - he'd probably set you on fire! :wacko: I wish I had the chance to see either of the other two fly, but that will never happen.

I much prefer both British machines - the Tigercat is a weird mix, the very thin, boxy fuselage and those big fat round nacelles don't quite gel IMO. Your Wildcat is very nice indeed, though I think it would be much improved with a bubble canopy and a slightly shorter/rounder nose. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Stargazer

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 09, 2011, 09:35:18 AM
I would suggest a Welkin tail SG2006 ---  ;)

I almost DID use a Welkin tail... before deciding I was going to do something ELSE with the Welkin... Great minds!!

Also the challenge here was to find an aircraft that would combine all three designs suggested above, so I stuck to these...

ElectrikBlue

May I suggest a T-tail Mosssie with a Tigercat nose ?  ;D

Old Wombat

Um, no? :blink:

That one warps my eyeballs! :o