A different payload for the A-Model An-225?

Started by Spellbinder99, March 14, 2008, 10:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellbinder99

Found this in the Buran.ru image file directory (doing a little image trawling ;D).

Now where can I get one of those Revell kits!

Cheers

Tony

B777LR

Wow, whats the meaning of that? :o

Could it air launch the Orlnyok? If so, that could become a badass invasionforce! (1000 troops per orlnyok, 500 paratroopers per -225, 50 x An-225s and orlnyoks....)

upnorth

I have a bad feeling that the Orlionok would fall like a stone if it was air launched from any altitude that would be safe for the AN-225 to do it from. The whole Ekranoplan idea was dependant on ground effect and building up a cusion of air for the thing to fly on.

I think the only way this could work is if the An-225 was just being used as a ferrying aircraft and the Ekranoplan was removed from it by ground personell.

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Spellbinder99

Oh. there was about five pages of Russian after this file that no doubt explains it all but I just thought it definitely was bad-donkey weird enough to be in WIF territory.... ;D

Cheers

Tony

The Rat

Man, did those Russkis ever screw it up. The hull goes on the 225!

I'm sure some of you were expecting that.  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

jcf

Quote from: B777LR on March 14, 2008, 11:26:59 PM
Wow, whats the meaning of that? :o

Could it air launch the Orlnyok? If so, that could become a badass invasionforce! (1000 troops per orlnyok, 500 paratroopers per -225, 50 x An-225s and orlnyoks....)

Nope, the An-225 was designed for the external carriage of outsize cargo, that is its primary role.
The ekranoplan is just cargo.

Jon

kitnut617

Wouldn't there be an issue of the wings being to close together?  I've read that was how the RAF could upset the V-1s by placing their wing just above the V-1 wing.  In the picture here the two wings are very close together and considering the wing of the Ekranoplan is designed for high lift in ground effect, I would have thought there could be a problem with this load.  Resident engineers care to comment?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 15, 2008, 09:40:23 AM
Wouldn't there be an issue of the wings being to close together?  I've read that was how the RAF could upset the V-1s by placing their wing just above the V-1 wing.  In the picture here the two wings are very close together and considering the wing of the Ekranoplan is designed for high lift in ground effect, I would have thought there could be a problem with this load.  Resident engineers care to comment?

I think it was just the opposite, they would place their wingtip just under the V1s wingtip and it would flip over, alternately they could physically tip it with a bit of contact. Also it was not a symetrical airflow interaction as would be the case with the 225 illustration, it woul be extremely asymmetrical.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on March 15, 2008, 02:16:36 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 15, 2008, 09:40:23 AM

I think it was just the opposite, they would place their wingtip just under the V1s wingtip and it would flip over, alternately they could physically tip it with a bit of contact. Also it was not a symetrical airflow interaction as would be the case with the 225 illustration, it woul be extremely asymmetrical.

You could well be right as right now I can't go to my references to recheck as they are all in storage.  However I'm fairly certain I'm correct as the article I read had said that the notion that the RAF pilots would use their wing tip to flip another aircraft over was very unlikely, mainly because there was too much risk of actually damaging their own aircraft.  From memory, the article went on to explain what actually happened and stated that actually physically 'flipping' a V1 was a common misconception, it described that the RAF pilot would fly along side the V1 until his wing overlapped the V1 wing from above and getting quite close, then the pilot would vigorously raise his wing and by doing this it made the airflow over the top of the V1 wing detatch itself, which inturn caused the V1 wing to suddenly raise up which would confuse the onboard gyros which then resulted in the V1 going out of control.  From a distance it would seem that the pilot had flipped the V1 over.  I think I read this in one of my Air-Britain magazines.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

B777LR

Any ideas as to what the range charts show?

RLBH

Well, the dashed ones are 2,400 km from certain airfields (or possibly 1,200 km), which I presume to be the operating radius of the Orlnyok from fields which can accept both it and the Mriya. I guess the solid lines are places that you could get to with the Orlnyok without the constraint of Mriya. Just guessing, though.

dragon

I don't know about you guys, but those two aircraft seem to be doing something obscene.  Get a room for Pete's sake!  Where's that moderator.. ;D

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Captain Canada

Way cool. I think you should build it. And Rat should build a sea-borne -225 !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 16, 2008, 07:38:38 PM
Way cool. I think you should build it. And Rat should build a sea-borne -225 !

:wub:

And Brian should fit Spats.
And Captain Canada would do it Canadian Navy.
And JHM would do it T-tail (with hand painted markings).
And i would do a Zwilling!

Rafael

I have to finish my abandoned cardboard (Yum!) Ekranoplan.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER