Yahoo! The Ki-83 is finished!

Started by matrixone, March 16, 2008, 04:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Finished the 1/72 scale MPM Ki-83 this morning, I had to wait a few hours until the weather cleared up enough to get pics of of it.
And here they are:

This kit was built O.O.B., this model has been put in markings of an operational Ki-45 unit.

Matrixone

Rafael

The nitpicker in me :lol: :lol: :lol: got fooled by the dust particles and little hairs on the lens. This is seriously a work of art. and to name a "common place", just when I thought I saw your best, you come up with something like this.

Rafa
(shakes head in dismay at his handicapped modeling skills and sits to admire Matrixone's work- again.)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

The Rat

Splendid job, and that b & w pic looks so authentic it's frightening, almost like you have a time machine stashed somewhere!

Have to admit that I've never really acquainted myself with Japanese aircraft, but this one's a looker. Is anyone else thinking 'Nipponese Mosquito'?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

I like the B&W's.  They give it an air of believability and authenticity.

Nice model.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

matrixone

Thanks Rafa, Rat, and Ed!

Rat,
The Ki-83 is the best looking twin engine design to come out of WWII, much better than the Ta 154 and Me 262.

Here are the rest of the pics...

I have now started on my He 100H-1, updates to start next weekend.

Matrixone

Zeke

It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

Brian da Basher

Another stunner, Matrixone! You've got a real nack for those Axis aircraft!

Brian da Basher

matrixone

Thanks for looking and for the comments Zeke and Brian!

Brian,
Most Axis aircraft have interesting camouflage patterns and are fun to paint and make for a good looking model, but with aircraft like this Ki-83 with its single uppersurface color it looks really boring on a model and the only way to make them look good is with some careful weathering to the paint finish. I wanted this model to look used but still operational.
I can't wait to build some of my Fw 190D-9's and D-12's, I have some neat weathering ideas for them and look forward to fooling some of the JMN types on a certain other modelling site. ;D

Matrixone

jeff3385

Fantastic looking build man. You really did a great job on that paint. very impressive.
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

B777LR

Cool! Does it have Turboprops? I think i see some exhausts in the rear of the engine nacelles?

ysi_maniac

Marvellous job, REALLY :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
(open mouth, for some hours)

... and he is working in his H-100
(wet mouth, for some minutes)

:wub: :o
Will die without understanding this world.

lancer

Totally amazing work again Matrix. Yet again, you've taken a pile of plastic and turned it into a masterpiece. And again, I am in awe of your building and photography skills.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Quote from: The Rat on March 16, 2008, 05:46:43 PM
Is anyone else thinking 'Nipponese Mosquito'?

Yep, my thoughts too.  A single seat Japanese Mossie.  Lovely  :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sisko

Hello Matrixone.

Great stuff as always!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

matrixone

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

I am not sure about the airscoops on the engine nacelles, but I don't think they had anything to do with turboprop engines some of them were for the superchargers...I already threw the instructions away that had the information on the engine specs.

This was a strange model to build, it was very easy to construct except for those engine nacelles, most of the construction time was spent on them trying to blend them in with the wing. The props were a little tricky to build as well but everything else was a breeze. If I did not have so many other kits in the stash I would like to build another Ki-83 except I would put it in Luftwaffe nightfighter markings and camouflage.... :wub:

Matrixone