R

North Wing Model Craft

Started by RotorheadTX, March 17, 2008, 05:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotorheadTX

They were mentioned over at Cybermodeler for their 1/72nd scale C-1 cargo jet.
They do a nice AD4W/AEW.1, but also be sure to check out the A-10NAW in their banner!!
http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/Gallery.php?ig=1&jg=4

Link to page in English: http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/index_e.html

Scooterman

I was just over there and I was going to mention that banner!  Brill idea for your A-10NAW kits.  I even 'right-click-and-save'd it.

If not that, German cammies with a bunch of orange?

famvburg

Cool! Anyone up on their Japanese? I'd like to get a couple of the C-1s & P-2Js. Trumpeter, IIRC, is doing the A-10, but I might get theirs too.

jcf

English page:
https://nsf.tc/~nmc/index.php?p=productsList

The C-1 is over 200 USD  and the P-2J conversion is around 70 USD.

The A-10NAW conversion is for the Tamiya kit.

Jon

Martin H

I would love that C 1 in my collection, but at £107 each before postage...me thinks it will have to wait a fair while lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

datguy

Well, I went and did it.  I ordered the P-2J.  I have been trying to figure out how to do a (real world) P-2J for nigh on 20 years.  To me, the J-model is how Kawasaki whiffed the Neptune in 1:1.

About US $80 with shipping.  Their web site listed inventory as "a few." So I hope with the immediate worldwide publicity today, that they still have one left for me. 

DG

famvburg

I guess you could have done like I did about a dozen or so years ago. Make new nacelles from balsa, add Shin-Meiwa SS-1 nose cowls & props, a balsa fuselage plug & new radome from something in the junkbox I think & landing gear from the junk box. At $80, I'll have to think it over & with the C-1, I guess I'll have to live with my scratchbuilt one from about 20 years ago.

Quote from: datguy on March 17, 2008, 07:51:10 PM
Well, I went and did it.  I ordered the P-2J.  I have been trying to figure out how to do a (real world) P-2J for nigh on 20 years.  To me, the J-model is how Kawasaki whiffed the Neptune in 1:1.

About US $80 with shipping.  Their web site listed inventory as "a few." So I hope with the immediate worldwide publicity today, that they still have one left for me. 

DG

famvburg

Ah, I see now. Yesterday I simply marked the box marked "English" & it only translated the titles. I now see I have to hit the 'change' button as well.

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 17, 2008, 10:27:06 AM
English page:
https://nsf.tc/~nmc/index.php?p=productsList

The C-1 is over 200 USD  and the P-2J conversion is around 70 USD.

The A-10NAW conversion is for the Tamiya kit.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

North Wing Model Craft 1/72 Kawasaki C-1 JASDF review by Fotios Rouch at Cybermodeler: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/nwmc/kit_nwmc_72003.shtml
Some better images to see of the entire kit to include the decal sheet.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jennings

Quote from: famvburg on March 18, 2008, 06:27:03 AM
I guess you could have done like I did about a dozen or so years ago. Make new nacelles from balsa, add Shin-Meiwa SS-1 nose cowls & props, a balsa fuselage plug & new radome from something in the junkbox I think & landing gear from the junk box. At $80, I'll have to think it over & with the C-1, I guess I'll have to live with my scratchbuilt one from about 20 years ago.

I did the same thing back in about 1988!  Never finished the thing, and sent my masters to Platz, as they were interested in a conversion set that apparently never happened.  Main wheels from Monogram B-1 nose wheels worked great!

I keep hoping against hope that somebody is going to do a resin cockpit and nose compartment set for the Neptune.  It's a nice kit otherwise...

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

datguy

I received e-mail notification today that the P-2J conversion was en route from Japan.  The note included the EMS/Japan Post tracking number.  That was a nice touch.

I too had planned the balsa nacelles and fuselage plug, but I did not have good drawings and nowhere near the skill to carry that off. 

I'll post an update on how the bits look in person.  Fotios Rouch's Cybermodeler review of the P-2J conversion http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/nwmc/detail_nwmc_72002.shtml and the pictures in the gallery section at the North wing Model Craft site http://nmc.amuse-net.biz/Gallery.php?JpOrEn=enhave me excited about this one.

DG

John Howling Mouse

Wow, one of my all-time favorite cargo-planes and I always wondered if someone would ever kit it but I can't afford/justify that sort of expense for a single 1:72 model.  Besides, it's resin and I'd probably mess it up!

Sigh....    :blink:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

datguy

My little lovely (the NWMC P-2J) arrived yesterday, exquisitely packaged, from Japan.  The resin parts were in several small zip-top bags, in a firm box with bubble-wrap around all the contents.  There are also scale drawings of the P-2J (The first I've seen), and a full color marking and paint-color callout (in Gunze colors). 

Decals for the interesting full color tail markings are included along with appropriately shaped plain white decals to back them up on the dark gray tail surface.  National markings, etc, will need to come from the basic Hasegawa Neptune or other sources.  The resin is a pale cream and looks very well molded.  There are metal axles molded in the main gear and metal stiffening rods inside the individual prop blades.  The scale drawings include a template for prop blade alignment.

This all looks very first class, and I'm looking forward to building it when the mood strikes.  Based on what I see so far, this is highly recommended and probably worth the $81 US that it cost.

DG

nev

I'm not up on my Neptunes, or the Hasegawa kit of it - is there something wrong with it for there to be this resin kit of it?  :huh:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

datguy

I'm not aware of anything majorly wrong with the Hasegawa Neptune kit except its 1970s heritage.  It's just a model of a different airplane.

The P-2J was a significant redesign of the Neptune, starting from the late model P2V-7/P-2H depicted in the Haegawa kit.  The primary revisions centered on installing turboprops instead of the big radials.  Other changes included a 54-inch fuselage extension, and installation of twin-wheel main gear in the revised nacelles.

Lower weight and better fuel efficiency were intended to increase range and loiter time.  However, the small fuselage cross-section limited the ability to upgrade sensor and weapons systems. In the end, I think the Japanese decided that the P-3 offered more advantages. 

In retrospect the P-2J program seems a lot like the current P-X patrol aircraft in Japan: upgrade/modernize the propulsion of a successful airframe.  (The P-X fuselage is remarkably similar to the P-3, with swept flying surfaces and 4 indigenous turbofans).  It appears that this is one way that Japan tries to retain a degree of independent competence in aerospace design and technology.

DG