Gloster Meteor

Started by GTX, March 19, 2008, 02:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 22, 2008, 11:13:06 PM
Quote from: Mossie on March 22, 2008, 05:52:27 PM

This opens up a whole new what-if line, how would fighter design have changed had the prone position been adopted?
Adoption was doubtful as the cons outweighed the pros, the theories didn't prove out on test.

However, here is a bit of Meatbox trivia for ya, the original Air Staff requirements for what became F.9/40 included "a seat to provide a deck chair attitude for the pilot". In other words a semi-reclined seating position.

Classic wooden deck chair

Jon

Lawndart meets Meatbox  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Radish

A nice wooden deck chair would be ideal for the early versions, especially when operated by the RAuxAF.
Out on Summer camps, ideal!!

Meanwhile.....why not a Meteor "bomb" mounted on top of a Canberra?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 22, 2008, 11:13:06 PM
Quote from: Mossie on March 22, 2008, 05:52:27 PM

This opens up a whole new what-if line, how would fighter design have changed had the prone position been adopted?
Adoption was doubtful as the cons outweighed the pros, the theories didn't prove out on test.

However, here is a bit of Meatbox trivia for ya, the original Air Staff requirements for what became F.9/40 included "a seat to provide a deck chair attitude for the pilot". In other words a semi-reclined seating position.

Classic wooden deck chair

Jon

Yes, but we can at least speculate.

Does anybody have any pics of the F.8 Reaper?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

Quote from: Radish on March 23, 2008, 04:33:01 AM
A nice wooden deck chair would be ideal for the early versions, especially when operated by the RAuxAF.
Out on Summer camps, ideal!!

Meanwhile.....why not a Meteor "bomb" mounted on top of a Canberra?

Could always pack the Canberra with explosive, leave off the canopy and mount the Meteor on top as a Mistel, just the thing for knocking out bridges and such in Korea :thumbsup:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

GTX

QuoteDoes anybody have any pics of the F.8 Reaper?

Here you go:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Oooohhh, plenty of rockets!  Thanks Greg!

Hmmm, might look good with a 4.5" recoilless rifle.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

How about a CAS Meteor-Hog: an F.8 with NF.14 outer wings, thus giving it 8 x 20mm Hispanos...... :o Paint it in a JAWS cammo pattern but using RAF colours.

Alternatively, get a trainer, offset the nosewheel to one side and fit a 40mm Bofors with the ammo in the rear cockpit.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Mentioning it again, but that 4.5" gun might be good for the CAS role.

GTX

QuoteI was recently thinking of doing a bomber version of the Gloster Meteor, probably with a perspex nose of some sort - a bit like a British equivalent to the Me-262A-2a/U2.  Maybe if the Canberra was delayed or something similar.

To illustrate my original idea:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

And in Turboprop form:

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

What about some crossover between the Meteor & Javelin?  Meteor with a delta wing maybe?  Probably not an exact copy of the wing as the the two types were very different, but maybe a scaled version?  Another crossover could be an interim nightfighter variant with radar nose?

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on May 02, 2008, 01:16:10 PM
What about some crossover between the Meteor & Javelin?  Meteor with a delta wing maybe?  Probably not an exact copy of the wing as the the two types were very different, but maybe a scaled version?  Another crossover could be an interim nightfighter variant with radar nose?

Did you see Jon's delta wing variant on the first page?

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

How about a very high altitude version with the long fuselage, extended nose for electronica and extra long wings and painted extra light PRU tangerine?   

OK...so the colour's a bit odd but why not?

Daryl J.

Mossie

Quote from: GTX on May 02, 2008, 01:23:57 PM
Did you see Jon's delta wing variant on the first page?

Regards,

Greg

Yes, I did.  D'OH!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As I was posting  I had one of those 'I think I've seen it before somewhere' moments, forgot it was just a page back! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

jcf

Quote from: Daryl J. on May 03, 2008, 11:21:03 AM
How about a very high altitude version with the long fuselage, extended nose for electronica and extra long wings and painted extra light PRU tangerine?  

OK...so the colour's a bit odd but why not?

Daryl J.

Like a P.298 with P.203 wings?

Jon