Gloster Meteor

Started by GTX, March 19, 2008, 02:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 01, 2013, 01:10:45 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 01, 2013, 12:06:12 PM
Where does your extra fuel go?  IIRC, the F.III wasn't plumbed for wing tanks and a centreline torpedo is going to kill your belly tank.

Well considering that a 'torpedo' carrying version was never even thought about Lee, the wings being plumbed or not shouldn't be a problem, right ?  But you can have wingtip tanks or underwing pylon tanks, or both ----

I was thinking of underwing tanks, not sure if wing tip tanks would be in use circa 1946. The first aircraft I can think of with tip tanks is the P-80 ? Just think the FAA would go with what they knew. Was also thinking that fuel consumption of the Trents would be lower ? That was one of the main benefits of turbo-props as far as I'm aware ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 02, 2013, 01:50:02 AM
I was thinking of underwing tanks, not sure if wing tip tanks would be in use circa 1946. The first aircraft I can think of with tip tanks is the P-80 ?

This is WhiffWorld, underwing tanks were invented when YOU say they were!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I was thinking of underwing tanks, not sure if wing tip tanks would be in use circa 1946. The first aircraft I can think of with tip tanks is the P-80 ? Just think the FAA would go with what they knew. Was also thinking that fuel consumption of the Trents would be lower ? That was one of the main benefits of turbo-props as far as I'm aware ?

Does this help, this was in the same time frame --

Of course it does sort of explain why torpedos went out of style, there's twenty 60 lb'ers on there.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

That's the Reaper, Mr. Zurakowski's cartwheeling aeroplane.  ;D

Brings back mind boggling memories.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Daryl J.

There is a Tamiya F.3 under way getting converted into a test bed for various PR methods.   

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Daryl J. on March 02, 2013, 11:32:30 AM
There is a Tamiya F.3 under way getting converted into a test bed for various PR methods.   

With longer wings I hope..........  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

jcf

The second XP-80A (44-83022) was the first of the type to have the wingtip tanks, it started flight trials
on August 1, 1944. The first production P-80A was accepted in February 1945. So wingtip tanks were
very much in use by 1946.

Daryl J.

QuoteQuote from: Daryl J. on Yesterday at 07:32:30 PM

With longer wings I hope..........  

Yes, but subtly.  I wish to make it appear 100% legitimate. 

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 02, 2013, 09:36:50 AM

Does this help, this was in the same time frame --

Of course it does sort of explain why torpedos went out of style, there's twenty 60 lb'ers on there.

I've seen loads of pics of that aeroplane but never noticed the belly rockets before  :banghead: That settles where the tanks go anyway  :thumbsup:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 02, 2013, 01:23:10 PM
The second XP-80A (44-83022) was the first of the type to have the wingtip tanks, it started flight trials
on August 1, 1944. The first production P-80A was accepted in February 1945. So wingtip tanks were
very much in use by 1946.

Thank you  :thumbsup: Must admit I didn't realise they were tested that early. I've seen photo's of P-80's in olive drab being towed through the streets of what I assume is a French or German port and they had tip tanks but that would have been late 45. So BPF 1946 she will be.

Talking about the Meteors range etc. The only figure I can find in my Putnam's Gloster book quotes aprox 1,000 miles. No mention of if that is with or without the belly tank, however I would assume it is with ?

PS - you know that after all this great help I am going to have to build her now  :rolleyes: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Didn't you sell me your Meteor book Chris?  ;D

If I can find where I 'filed' it I'll look up the range figures.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 03, 2013, 04:20:17 AM
Didn't you sell me your Meteor book Chris?  ;D

If I can find where I 'filed' it I'll look up the range figures.

Yes I did mate and thanks in advance

jcf

The Gloster Meteor by Edward Shacklady has the following for the G-41F
F.Mk.4, 3,500 lb thrust Derwent 5, long-span (F.3) wing, (the F.3 section only gives
powerplant and geometric data specifics, and states: "Other details similar to F.Mk.4s
(Long span)."

Range at 30,000 feet with full internal tanks plus ventral tank (325+180=505 gallons),
980 statute miles. Endurance at 30,000 feet after climb and 15 minutes at maximum
speed with 505 gallons, 2.2 hr. Speed for maximum endurance: at sea level, 170 mph,
at 30,000 ft, 280 mph. Speed at maximum range: at sea level, 240 mph, at 30,000 ft,
470 mph. Maximum level speed: at sea level, 585 mph; at 30,000 feet, 550 mph.
Maximum cruising speed at sea level: 540 mph. Take-off run, 430 yards.
Landing run, 850 yards.

In the Trent Meteor section he states that the engine was based on a modified Derwent II
of 2,200 lb thrust with reduction gear driving a Rotol propeller of 7' 11" diameter, output
was 750 shp plus residual thrust of 1,000 lb., later changed, due to 'unsatisfactory flying
qualities, to 4' 10.5" prop only capable of absorbing 350 hp, and decrease in size of the
jetpipe raising residual thrust to 1,400 lb.

All up weight with Trents was 14,000 lbs as compared to the 11,800 lbs of a Standard F.1,
extra weight being added by the engines and modified undercarriage, which was increased in
length by 6 inches. Cannon armament was removed and replaced by compensating ballast.
This compares well, on paper at least, to a fully loaded long-span F.4, internal fuel only, with
a gross weight of 14,460 lbs.

The tip tanks used on the Reaper were of 100 gallon capacity, and similar 100 gallon tanks
were tested on NF11 WD604, so tip tanks were at least tested on both short and long span
wings.

So perhaps an extended height vertical stabilizer and rudder, or fin fillet to correct the yaw
problems caused by the increased side area of the nacelles, rather than the tacked on additional
fins used, and handed engines/props to correct the torque issues that led to cutting down the props.

rickshaw

Please, what was the performance of the Trent Meteor, in comparison to the F.4?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Thanks for that info Jon

ysi_maniac

RAAF Meteor with a different tail (I love Canberra tail :-*)

Will die without understanding this world.