1/72 Canadian Car & Foundry Arctic Fox

Started by Brian da Basher, March 21, 2008, 05:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In the early 1930s, there was unrest among the native tribes in Northern Canda, led by a Soviet OGPU agent known only as Chief Red Star who successfully infiltrated and then took over the Isquatinigloo tribe. Eventually the Isquatinigloo people declared their independence from Canada and the Soviet Union began supplying them with weapons and aid as part of their "Red Flag over the Pole" operation. Of course, Ottawa would have none of this and attempted to put down the uprising but was stunned when their obsolescent Bristol Bulldogs were totally outclassed by Isquatiniglooian ANT-10s supplied by the Soviets. An answer had to be found and fast. Fortunately, a purchasing manager for the Canadian Car & Foundry Co. was on very good terms with his opposite number in the Gloster Aero Co. and was able to secure advance designs for their forthcoming Gladiator. The Canadian Car & Foundry Co. added a few things that would make their new aircraft more suitable to the harsher conditions of Canada and the Arctic Fox was born. It was the first RCAF fighter to feature an enclosed canopy and a four gun armament (two being in underwing pods). It had an upgraded heating system and was powered by the famous Whitehorse double row radial engine. The Isquatinigloo independence movement was finally defeated in a climactic skirmish near the Great Slave Lake called the Battle of Wounded Groin in which Chief Red Star was shot in the crotch during a strafing run by Arctic Foxes led by Wing Commander John Barrysnell-Shell. Chief Red Star was spirited back over the Pole by an OGPU dogsled brigade and never heard from again, while Wing Commander Barrysnell-Shell was promoted to Air Commodore and charged with the defense of the Canadian Arctic. His Acrtic Fox, P3069 can be seen today at the Canadian Forces Arctic Museum in Yellowknife, across from the icebox in the cafeteria.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The inspiration for this project is the Matchbox Group Build over on ARC and the base kit is the 1/72 Matchbox Gladiator which was generously donated by our own Mr Howling Mouse. I modified it by replacing the kit canopy with parts of a Devastator canopy and swapping the engine for an un-cowled double-row version from my spares box. I also replaced the kit prop with a three-bladed all-metal version and decided skis were more appropriate landing gear for the Great White North. The skis are from an Airfix Avro 504 and the tail ski was left over from an He-70. The entire model was brush painted by hand with cheap craft-store acrylics and rigged with model railroad wire attached with Gator Glue which I highly recomend for attaching small parts and canopies.

Mr Howling Mouse, thank you for the kit and the wonderful trip down memory lane!

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Quote from: Brian da Basher on March 21, 2008, 05:29:20 PM
the Isquatinigloo tribe.
Brian da Basher

Thanks Brian  :lol:, I've a new monitor coming  :wacko: coffee all over it.   No really, I had a good laugh reading the backstory, I'm still chuckling right now.  Great build too!

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Yes, it was definately hard to read the story after getting the tribal name.....har-har-har ! You a very funny man, Brian !

Love the bird....'specially that second shot. Really looks the part.

Thanks for that !

:wub: :cheers: :drink: :party:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

retro_seventies

Great stuff - there are NEVER enough Gladiators! 
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

John Howling Mouse

Ho h-o-o-o-o!  That's perfect.  Really satisfying to see what you did with this kit, Brian.  Always a treat and it's not that often that I find myself laughing my igloo off reading Canadian history!  So, are those skis made from plastic spoon handles?  Just think, if you had built this great little model up here, you could us a real winter/snow background too! 

Beware the Return of Chief Red Star (I'm hoping for a Sequel....hint-hint!)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

dogsbody

I don't know what I like better, your models or the stories that go with them.

Keep up the excellent work.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitbasher

Is this a forgery, the product of an impostor?  I mean, the modeller claims to be Brian d B, but just where are the spats?? ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Brian da Basher

Quote from: kitbasher on March 24, 2008, 10:15:41 AM
Is this a forgery, the product of an impostor?  I mean, the modeller claims to be Brian d B, but just where are the spats?? ;D ;D

It's funny you should say that as I'd originally intended to build a Gladiator with Gloster Gauntlet spats. I had problems sourcing one at a reasonable price and Mr Howling Mouse came to the rescue. Since he was kind enough to send me the kit, I figured building it in tribute to the Great White North was the way to go.

Brian da Basher

P.S. The skis were leftovers from two Airfix Avro 504s. As for Chief Red Star, you never know when or where he might show up.

P.P.S. Here's a couple of extra shots that I didn't think were good enough to make the cut. In these you can see how the Devastator windscreen and canopy change the outline a bit.

BlackOps

:thumbsup: Looks good Brian, always get a chuckle from your stories too  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

K5054NZ

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic my dear Mister Perri! Another gem! I'm in stitches after that backstory! Hilarious!

A real Canadian-looking machine, just great! Very well-executed and believable. Well done Bri!  :cheers:

noxioux

"There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see. . ."

Excellent build!

Joe C-P

Spatted SKIs! Lovely!

Oo, could do a group build of ski-equipped aircraft. They could have served on the iceberg carrier Habbakuk!

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

cthulhu77

First spats, now skis ?  Wonderful work, Sir B !