Main Menu

Typhoon ECR

Started by Hobbes, March 22, 2008, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Around 2000, the German Luftwaffe began searching for a successor to their Tornado ECR and its main armament, the AGM-88 HARM. The Tornado was becoming vulnerable to modern fighters, and operation 'Allied Force' (over Kosovo) and the Gulf war showed the HARM didn't perform very well. A tradeoff between performance and cost resulted in a number of two-seater Typhoons being adapted for the role. They inherited the ELS system from the Tornadoes (still one of the best in the world). The initial plan was to use ALARM missiles exclusively, but recently the Brimstone missile was integrated as well, for use against SAM and AAA sites that do not rely on radar tracking.

The aircraft seen here carries 6 ALARM, 6 Brimstone, 2 AMRAAM and 2 IRIS-T, showing off its maximum payload. In practice, two of the ALARMs will often be swapped for fuel tanks, allowing longer missions.

the kit is the Revell 1:72, the ALARMs are courtesy of Thorvic (thanks!), and the Brimstones are scratchbuilt.

Brian da Basher

Nice one Harro. Those Luftwaffe markings are perfect for it.

Brian da Basher

AeroplaneDriver

Very nice!  Since Brimstone has replaced CBUs for RAF anti-armor, it seems fitting for it to also replace CBUs for SEAD follow up.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Mmmmm UberWiesel !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

Damm fine build Harro, nicely done.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ysi_maniac

Beautiful indeed.
BTW: We should open a thread devoted to scratchbuilding stores. IMHO it would be useful.
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader