BAE Nimrod

Started by Thorvic, March 23, 2008, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on September 26, 2015, 12:01:47 PM
Why did they change it to hemp?

This might answer your question, it looks pink in this photo but then it always seems to change into another colour in various light

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

When the 'RAF's Best Air Traffic Controller' was based at Lossiemouth I used to nip over to Kinloss to watch the mighty hunters do their thing for an afternoon.

Kinloss had, and presumably still has, a weird arrangement of dispersals where some aircraft are parked in shade and some out on a monster pan type area. The Hemp colour could look totally different depending on where the aircraft was parked, and I had some pics of a few of them somewhere, taken in my 35 mm days, but goodness knows where they are now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

True for sure Kit ! Would love to see those pics if you find them. When we visited Stornoway in the late 90s we saw the Nimrods doing overshots there a few times. Awesome sight.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 27, 2015, 07:40:06 AM
True for sure Kit ! Would love to see those pics if you find them. When we visited Stornoway in the late 90s we saw the Nimrods doing overshots there a few times. Awesome sight.

:wub:

I used to live at RAF St.Mawgan so saw and heard them often. One wit said that if they cleaned the Nimrod up a bit it would make a nice airliner  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

RAF St.Mawgan , been there when I did my induction course with the Royal Auxiliary Air Force back in 1986. Had my first flight on a Nimrod, managed to get 7 flights in total over 11 years.

Captain Canada

Lucky. The pair of you ! And it would make a good airliner, if cleaned up, that is  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 28, 2015, 05:10:33 AM
Lucky. The pair of you ! And it would make a good airliner, if cleaned up, that is  :thumbsup:

One flight in a VC10 and one in a Nimrod. The crew do like their food though and as soon as the aircraft had rotated off the runway they were in the galley!

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

McColm

That's because the food is free on board and sometimes better than what's served in the officer's mess.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on September 28, 2015, 11:34:22 AM

That's because the food is free on board and sometimes better than what's served in the officer's mess.

Cheese and Pickle sandwiches or Ham sandwiches are hardly what I would call better than food in an Officers Mess and I have eaten in one!

Gondor

KiwiZac

And it would make a good airliner, if cleaned up, that is  :thumbsup:
Now there's an idea for a model! An airliner Nimrod...  :rolleyes:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on September 28, 2015, 08:14:36 PM
And it would make a good airliner, if cleaned up, that is  :thumbsup:
Now there's an idea for a model! An airliner Nimrod...  :rolleyes:

It would be able to carry a LOT of freight for sure!  :o

But now you mention it I had one as a Christmas pressie a while ago, and I have a LOT of airliner decals, admittedly in 1/144 scale, but that's what computers and printers exist for.............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That's a thought as well, a cargo/ combi version of it for the RAF. And Canada of course. Trainer, transport etc. The more the merrier !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

With all the various aerials and pods removed - and a ton of windows - it would look very cool.

Great. Now I have to buy a Nimrod.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?