BAE Nimrod

Started by Thorvic, March 23, 2008, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

According to the VC-10 book, the Nimrod already wasn't big enough for all the equipment and operators. Stuffing them all in a Vulcan would depend much on the timeframe; no way you'd get a decently capable system in there in the 1960s; 20 years later you'd have a much better bet.

Weaver

Quote from: Hobbes on June 18, 2009, 12:33:18 PM
According to the VC-10 book, the Nimrod already wasn't big enough for all the equipment and operators. Stuffing them all in a Vulcan would depend much on the timeframe; no way you'd get a decently capable system in there in the 1960s; 20 years later you'd have a much better bet.

Well 1970s possibly, after all the S3 Viking managed with 4 crew and everything remotely operated, although it was no Nimrod.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

I still like the idea of a Nimrod with Vulcan wings. The Nimrod fuselage has 9 x "N" section frames over the wing box. I don't have a Vulcan structural picture to hand, but I'd imagine that re-distributing those 8 frames along a greater length of fuselage with "O" frames in between them would do the job. The Vulcan must have a large gap in it's full-section fuselage frames due to the bomb bay, but that needn't be preserved in a Nimcan/Vulrod because the bomb bay would be the long shallow ASW-oriented one in the Nimrod's pannier.

Now the question them is, what would you do with the spare Nimrod wings and Vucan fuselage.................?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

TsrJoe

i like the idea of an AEW Vulcan, def be different, theres a passing mention on the Secret Projects site of a Vulcan used as an orbiting (not orbital, lol!) data link in a similar vein to one of the AWACS. roles, certainly be different for a model, esp in a hight altitude/nuclear flash scheme?

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

GTX

On a slightly different tangent, what if de Havilland developed a pure bomber version of the Comet (pre-Nimrod development)  - maybe as something in between the EE Canberra and the forthcoming V-bombers?  Either internal or pannier based bomb-bay.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Here's a thought: get a Comet, move the rear pressure bulkhead forwards and put some big astronomical telescopes behind it, with dorsal fairings to cover them, and then, because it's obviously for research flights by the Royal Astronomical Society, name it after that great astronomer, Sir Edmond Halley, thus making it.........

<oh go on, fill in the dots for yourselves.......>

- Indiana Jones

retro_seventies

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

anthonyp

(GROAN!!!!)

*throws rotten vegetables*
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

Something different - Grumman's proposal for an AEW Nimrod from 1986:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Ooooh, now that is nice, heck of a conversion though!  A stretch, a comet front end (Welsh Models vacform might help both those points), the rear radome egg (from the Cammet AEW conversion) & of course a Hawkeye radome.  Pricey, but would look good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

I'm confused   :blink: :blink: :blink:

If you have a dish, what's the rear bit for ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

dy031101

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 25, 2010, 05:09:55 PM

Maybe a more comprehensive ECM/ESM suite than that seen on the Hawkeye.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 25, 2010, 05:09:55 PM
I'm confused   :blink: :blink: :blink:

Cover the rear quarter?  The dish would find the tail interfered with signals in that direction.  Either you lower the tail (Hawkeye) or raise the dish (E-3) to avoid the tail interference.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on May 26, 2010, 03:10:51 AM
Cover the rear quarter?  The dish would find the tail interfered with signals in that direction.  Either you lower the tail (Hawkeye) or raise the dish (E-3) to avoid the tail interference.

Umm! still confused ---
having built an E-3 I can say that the dish/tail relationship is almost the same as shown in the Nimrod/Hawkeye drawing.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike