BAE Nimrod

Started by Thorvic, March 23, 2008, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Except there appears to be something substantially larger on top of the fin of the Nimrod...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dy031101

Quote from: rickshaw on May 26, 2010, 07:45:15 AM
Except there appears to be something substantially larger on top of the fin of the Nimrod...

I'm wondering...... which one would be less troublesome: relocating the fin-top ECM sensors into the tail dome or mounting a radar antenna to cover the blind spot created by the fin-top fairing?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

And since the aircraft probably flies a race-track pattern, how long could a target stay in the "dead spot" anyway?

EDIT: Is there even a dead spot? IIRC, the entire width of the antenna is used. So only a rather small part would be obscured when the panel faces directly aft. Could degrade range a bit, but may not a be a completely dead spot.  :huh:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on May 26, 2010, 07:45:15 AM

Not sure it would worry it any, the dish mostly looks downwards doesn't it.  Anyway, the downfall of the Nimrod AEW was the inability to link the two radars together, I wonder what makes Grumman figure they could do any better.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

'cause they weren't GE(UK)?   Had a mate who worked for GE(UK) on the radar for the Nimrod AEW.  He always suggested it was two fantastic radars, rather than one.  He also made it clear that they never got the thing to work for more than five minutes at a time.   GE(UK) from his comment appeared to have bitten of something they couldn't chew.   I wonder how the Israelis managed to get their Phalcon phased array to work?

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on May 26, 2010, 06:10:17 PM
 I wonder how the Israelis managed to get their Phalcon phased array to work?

Does that worked the same way then ?

GTX

Now there's an idea:  Nimrod AEW with cheek/nose mounted arrays ala Phalcon.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

That would probably work well. You'd have to re-engineer the pannier, but it all detaches in sections anyway so no biggy.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Speaking of Nimrod's, did anyone else note the interesting location for the FLIR/EO turret on the Nimrods in Afghanistan:

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

That's where the MR.2's FLIR turret always was, although I think the model has been upgraded more than once.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on June 18, 2010, 05:56:02 PM
That's where the MR.2's FLIR turret always was, although I think the model has been upgraded more than once.

Well, I learn something new.

Regards,

Greg

rickshaw

Interesting location for the FLIR and an interesting mission for a maritime surveillance aircraft. I'm reminded of the P-2 Neptunes that ended up being used along the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos with the IGLOO WHITE systems.

Mossie

It's also interesting to see Boz replacing the Sidewinders, not one I'd seen before.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on June 19, 2010, 05:54:16 AM
It's also interesting to see Boz replacing the Sidewinders, not one I'd seen before.

I'm fairly sure I saw the BOZ in the Airfix kit Simon, I'll have a rumage around and see if I can find one of mine and double check.

Shasper

It makes sense tho', no "viable" airborne threats, Hostile MANPADs & God knows what all over the place . . .
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.