Main Menu

I go Pogo!

Started by Joe C-P, March 26, 2008, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

FV-1 Pogo, flown off of USS New Jersey

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Captain Canada

You gonna build a giant 72nd scale deck section to set her on ? Flying them off the old battleships is a great idea...nice job on that one, Joe !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Shoulda known...Joe cant build an aircraft unless it has a battleship under it!

Very nice!!   :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Joe C-P

With adaptations, the Pogo was brought into operation used on larger gun ships such as battleships and heavy cruisers. While unable to get into scraps with modern jet fighters, their two 20mm cannon and either two Sidewinders, a pair of depth charges or small bombs, or a homing torpedo, they were able to provide a CAP to ward off the many WW2 surplus aircraft in the air forces of smaller countries, or patrol for enemy submarines and enemy craft.
The change that made landing easier was the bottom window (see top photo). By placing a window in the bottom of the fuselage, the pilot was able to look "down" to find a guide pole on the ships landing deck, and following it lower the plane to the deck.
Pogos served on the BBs and CAs until those ships were retired in the late 1950s. Some were shifted to carriers, but didn't fit into the deck cycle. Others were tried on smaller cruiser and destroyers, but those ships pitched and rolled too much to allow for safe operations, and so the Pogos were all retired by 1959.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

John Howling Mouse

Very clean.  Which kit?  Or all they all reboxings of a single original kit?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

Slick, you have to love that odd nose !

Ed S

Nice Pogo.  I like the addition of the lower fuselage window so that the pilot can see something while landing.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Joe C-P

It's a "Kopro", I'm not certain where from. It may be a re-pop. It went together well enough, with the usual small gaps at the wing roots and some sanding and filling needed here and there.

I was thinking about a diorama to show my intended landing assist mechanism, which consists of a tall yellow board with red elevation markings every foot. The pilot already has to tilt forward to land; the window came to me as a way to make it easier on his neck: hover next to the flight deck at the same forward speed as the ship, slid over until you see the pole, then reduce power slowly until you touch down.

JoeP