The Avenger / Skyrocket

Started by sotoolslinger, March 31, 2008, 10:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

I swear I  didn't do this to avoid painting the ball turret. I frakkin lost the turret. I also lost the P-61 glazing that goes in all the cutouts around the nose. In fact I lost the whole BW kit. I seem to remember  giving it to a kid at  the last garage sale.
What do you think of this installation?

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sotoolslinger

Ok that last post was a test to see if I could post pictures instead of just links.
Here are some different views of the POSSIBLE install.

I had not intended to change the rear turret except to double the gun. This is one of the ancient Monogram Avengers  that says 1/48 but it doesn't seem to be the same 1/48 as either Hobbycraft or Tamiyama.
I amuse me.

John Howling Mouse

Gotta tell ya: I thought the BW turret was simply another stroke of your creative genius.  Go back and edit/delete the part about losing the ball turret!!!   ;D
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Yeah that's the ticket..... I meant to do it that way!  :wub: the JHM.
I amuse me.

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Brian da Basher

That turret really looks mean! I'd say fate has intervened to make this fantastic project even better!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

Is it too late to suggest modifying the airframe to accept tricycle type landing gear?  Or did I miss it? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Patrick H

Looks wicked with that rear turret. Wouldn't like to come behind that "little" birdie.

:cheers:
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Sisko

I like the lower profile turret. looks aerodynamic and the coolness factor is off the scale.

As for paint I'm thinking............purple! ;D
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

sotoolslinger

Thanks ya'll , ok the turret is an install. I'll blend it in and post.
Jefrey ,please go back over the post and see what that nose will be stuffed with. There won't be room for a forward landing gear.(also all my builds are gear up.)
Sisko , purple is my favorite color.

The color scheme for this one will be early naval (US) tri color but in sea greens instead of blues. Kinda like this:

and as you can see unit markings are Purple. ;D
I amuse me.

puddingwrestler

Very nice. The turret certainly seems to fit, but I'm not sure it makes sense in a practical, real world way... of course this can be corrected through the use of BACKSTORY(TM) the new wonder doohickey! There are certainly vast numbers of real world machines which don't seem to make any sense until you hear an explanation of why they work, and plenty of planes which look like they could never fly but do! Don't let real world logic stop you! (I don't)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

sotoolslinger

Oh PW, great (or equally weird) minds think alike. I am vexed by real world considerations when I build. I still have to figure how much weight I have removed/readded ,, compared to the horsepower, so I can figure out how fast I can make it go. I have already considered slicing out the middle 2 guns to make the the turret sleeker. The RO's position will be reversed and the turret will be remoted in any case.
I have also considered sticking waist guns from the sides with big  round convex plexiglas and putting a twin gun  mini turret where the belly gun is. :wacko: :wacko:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Don't even start! >:( There is no way this  aircraft is staying black. :angry: No matter how cool it looks. :blink:
It was the only sandable primer I could find .After the disaster with the  Testors I took good advice and went to auto primer.

It worked out very well.

Look how cool it is though.

As you can see I got the last PSR sanded , reprimered, and half assed blended the new (cooler the more I look at it) P-61 turret.

I seriously considered cutting the 2 center guns out and thinning the turret by half to make it more aerodynamic but the more it sat there the more I liked it.

I did carve the turret smaller and installed it lower. Instead of .50's it sports 4 Enfield 33/40 aircraft guns.
The Enfield 33/40 is a 300 grain .330 diameter projectile in a necked down .404 Jeffreys case. It attains 2700 feet per second and has the range  and almost the penetration of the big .50 but the ammo weighs less so a greater volume of ammo can be carried. :rolleyes:
I amuse me.

GTX

Looks good - here's a thought though:  That all black looks too cool - how about doing it up as a night attack bird, maybe even Korean War?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Brian da Basher

You're not gonna like this Sotoolslinger, but I gotta vote for a black nightfighter scheme too! This project looks better and better with each update!

I really like how you explained the thinking behind the Enfield 33/40.

Are you sure we can't convince you to keep the black? Just imagine it with red codes and maybe even red-outlined mid-1943 U.S. markings!
:wub:
No matter what scheme you decide on, this one's a winner all the way!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher