The Avenger / Skyrocket

Started by sotoolslinger, March 31, 2008, 10:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

I knew it! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I know it looks really cool black. I have always had a secret desire for that half white half black  scheme on the Spitfires. I also love the red marking idea. I always thought the red out lined US markings were cool and I could never figure out how you could mistake it for a meatball.
Back to the subject. :banghead:
The backstory now is this will be a RNZAF Day attack craft. But the kiwis get it from the Aussies marked as a US nightfighter destined for the Pacific fleet.
I will first do it as a new fully marked night fighter and do an extensive photo spread. Then I will overspray with  the original paint scheme I had planned and remark. I will have  the night fighter scheme slightly showing through.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: sotoolslinger on April 16, 2008, 06:03:30 PM
Don't even start! >:( There is no way this  aircraft is staying black. :angry: No matter how cool it looks. :blink:
It was the only sandable primer I could find .

Who are we to question the styrene Fates?    :wub: -_-  When you're hot, you're hot, man!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sotoolslinger

Thanks J howling M :wub: I have another quandry though , I have been seriously considering  making this into a gun/rocket ship. I'm thinking split the bomb bay doors vertically about halfway down so you actually have 4 doors , mount multiple rocket pods to the forward set of doors so when they are opened fully the pods would be deployed port and starboard under the wing roots and make a retractable 40 to 60 mm cannon (reloadable by the belly gunner)  deploy from the rear set. :huh: :huh: :huh:
The wings outboard of the engine pods will also have hardpoints for rockets.(fatheaded British style, so much cooler looking than sleek)
Does anyone know of a 1/48 scale  40 to 60 mm cannon model?
Preferrably with the big cool ammo clips you drop in from the top. :wub:
I amuse me.

Captain Canada

Way cool ! Love the new turret, really makes her look menacing. I have to agree with you about the rockets...love that style !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sotoolslinger

Sorry I have been gone so long. I had a major personal disaster on my way from Baton Rouge to North Carolina involving the police , truck searches, incarceration , and they trashed the Avenger. I'll post pictures later. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I amuse me.

BlackOps

Hey, your only supposed to see that kind of drama on soap operas!  I hope it's salvagable, the Avenger not the drama!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

sotoolslinger

Well heck I still can't work but I did get up off my butt and rebuild the Skyrocket

Please note the cool new mods. I figured since it would be so much faster it would need airbrakes to slow down rapidly.

I also had to come up with some practical way for the new rear turret to function properly so I reversed and raised the rio's seating

Now he can see over the turret

Tomorrow I'll post more closeups. I will fill up the space between the turret and the gunner with detailing:radios ,radar, gunsights etc.
I will also install a new lower turret from a B-25.
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

You have renewed my faith in kitbashing! :ph34r: Outstanding vision and execution. :thumbsup: :cheers:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

B777LR

Cool!
By the way, are you a truck driver, since you seem to be on the move all the time?

sotoolslinger

No sir , B777LR , I am a superintendant for a nationwide construction company. That's why I'm always in motel rooms. It makes it a real pain it the butt to create. >:( :blink:
I amuse me.

B777LR

Quote from: sotoolslinger on May 10, 2008, 11:53:12 PM
No sir , B777LR , I am a superintendant for a nationwide construction company. That's why I'm always in motel rooms. It makes it a real pain it the butt to create. >:( :blink:

Ah, makes sense then :thumbsup:

BlackOps

Well I'd say you've got the whole "construction" thing down in more than one area then ;D 

Lookin' good slinger!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

I really like your mods to this project sotoolslinger! The new RIO position is just the perfect solution and I've never seen finer dive brakes! Awesome work!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Thank's for all the good feedback ya'll. Here's todays progress.
I added detailing to the rio's position and psr'd the turret install. I also added a lower turret to replace the wimpy single .30 cal.

Here are a couple of lower turret images.

Here's the detailing on the rio's position

From the stern

With the new modified canopy. The canopy addition is the greenhouse from a B-25 tailgunners position and the lower turret is the top turret from that same model

I'm thinking I should make the lower turret solid  and remote as there is not room for a gunner internally.
What does everyone think? Leave it glazed or paint it armored?

I amuse me.

Eddie M.

Seeing your work is especially entertaining now that I know you're on the road. Any chance of seeing your traveling model construction set up?
    Eddie
Look behind you!