World's craziest animals, Toad dares Rat!

Started by The Rat, April 02, 2008, 06:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Here I am minding my own business last month when a pm from Toad arrives. Seems he snagged a 1/weeny scale Comet IV from some obscure Czech manufacturer and for some reason didn't want such a prize. Probably got scared when he saw the high quality and realised that he couldn't bring himself to butcher it. But then he remembered that when I see such things I'm like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat - NO FEAR OR SHAME! He mentioned something about a hull; my reputation precedes me obviously.

I will not be using the landing gear, but all of these detailed bits will be utilized. The wing is one-piece and those tank tips are separate parts that I've popped in already, for a grand total of 6 bits! I'll probably cut out the centre section of the fuselage, rotate it 180°, and just use the wings upside-down, in this scale the camber won't show. Gotta get some hemp paint now!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Hehehe...nice one, Rat ! The nose on the model for sure looks better than the one on the boxtop, eh ?

As for the other kit I bought that day, Model Shop Dave was pretty happy to recieve that old Frog Hornet, seeing as he collects them and all !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Checking my impeccable references (Wikipedia :rolleyes:) I find that the Comet IV had a wingspan of 115 ft. With the model's span being 5.5 inches it comes out to almost exactly 1/250th scale. Decals may be a problem...
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: The Rat on April 02, 2008, 07:26:03 PM
Decals may be a problem...

i doubt it somehow,  ;D.

wonder what's gonna fly forth here?  :unsure: but it looks like something interesting has been dreamt up.

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Brian da Basher

Rat-san, if you need some decals I've got some 1/144 scale markings that might work. I think I've got RAF, W.W. II Yugoslavian partisan markings, W.W. II German, and maybe even some French ones that are small but in 1/72. Oh and I've got some Norwegian ones too I think. Send me your address and preferences via PM if you're interested.

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Hey Todd!
I happen to fancy T-Tails.  Oh, any old thing in 1:48 will do.... hint-hint   :thumbsup: ;D
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on April 03, 2008, 05:39:39 PM
Hey Todd!
I happen to fancy T-Tails.  Oh, any old thing in 1:48 will do.... hint-hint   :thumbsup: ;D

I'm gonna need more hints than that !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Quote from: Brian da Basher on April 03, 2008, 01:43:38 PM
Rat-san, if you need some decals I've got some 1/144 scale markings that might work.
Thanks Brian. I'm going to rummage through my decal stash this weekend, I'll keep you in mind if there's nothing suitable in there. I would like to do it like a flying boat Nimrod, RAF markings, hemp colouring and all. But if there are other decals that will fit then hey, maybe there were foreign sales?  :lol:

lancer

Why don't you do it with one of those planing hulls you do so well??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

The Rat

Quote from: lancer on April 04, 2008, 03:22:50 PM
Why don't you do it with one of those planing hulls you do so well??

Exactly the plan! I've got the fuselage hacked apart already, nose and centre sections are glued but I'm leaving the rear section in two pieces until I figure out how I want the fin to look, probably the same as the Nimrod. The wings have a ridiculously overstated dihedral which actually works out good for me, as it means a wicked anhedral once they are upside down and I might be able to do wingtip floats like the Martin Seamaster.

The Rat

Progress so far - The fuselage is in three pieces and all halves glued together, the wing is not glued on yet but the front third is glued to the centre. Several of the windows have been drilled out but the flight deck windows are probably staying solid, too much work to do square stuff. Various bits are being collected for things like tip floats and the Electronic Surveillance Measures antenna. Vertical stab still needs to have the fillet added.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah.....I knew you couldn't resist, Rat ! She's looking a beauty now ! BTW...is that the buck you owe me ?

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Fuselage is now together, fin fillet cut from breadbag tie is in place, ESM pod added. The pod was made by carving the fins off a 10lb(?) bomb that came from the old Hawk Lysander. Wing is still not glued on:

Since that pic I've got the balsa stuck on the bottom with Testors shaping putty, should start the carving/sanding/puttying/swearing stage tonight. The hemp paint has been procured. The bombs in the background may become the wingtip floats.

Brian da Basher

I'm really enjoying watching you work on this proiject, Rat-San! I'd have to say you're our resident pro at turning a land based aircraft into a flying boat! I really like your fin fillet and the ECM pod. The high-mounted wing looks like it's really going to come out great!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher
(Fellow Bread Bag Clip User)

puddingwrestler

Now that does look sweet! And a bread bag clip? Man, I'd never have thought of that, even when totally strapped for cash and out of plasticard...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.