Radio Antennas for Armor Vehicles

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, April 04, 2008, 02:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

A good source for radio antennas besides the usual wire or stretched sprue is to visit a local hardware store and take a look at a large paint brush or broom.  Both of these are good sources for the long plastic bristles that are quite flexible and no where near as dangerous as piano wire or a fire hazard like melting plastic sprue over an open flame.  The longer the bristle the better since that will allow you cut it to length. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Captain Canada

Good call, JJ ! Could also be used for ststic discharge wires, I presume......

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 04, 2008, 02:29:35 PMCould also be used for ststic discharge wires, I presume
I would recommend something with very fine bristles such as the Testor's paint brushes with the white plastic handles.  The bristles from that type of brush would make excellent static discharge thingies.  The hardware store paint brushes all have very thick bristles in comparison which would be far too large for what you want.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

John Howling Mouse

Good idea, Jeffry.

Also, some of the more tan-colored paintbrush bristles also make pretty realistic scale grasses/straw and they are a lot cheaper than the fancy Scenics stuff too.  Some of them even seem tufted at the ends too, just like real wheat stalks.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

NARSES2

Domestic paint/paste brush bristles can also be used to rig bi-planes, quicker then stretched sprue.

Once read in a mag how one armour modeler used cat's whiskers for radio antennas  :o "First catch your cat"  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

Cats shed whiskers all the time. You just have make certain you don't vacuum them up, so you have an excuse not to vacuum. "I'm sorry, dear, but I need to find some antennas for my latest tank model."

Let me know how that goes over.  ;D
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2008, 04:07:15 AMOnce read in a mag how one armour modeler used cat's whiskers for radio antennas  :o "First catch your cat"  :rolleyes:
Obviously suggested by someone that has no love for cats.  My cat will shed hair but I yet to see a whisker come off.  If you try to pull them out, be prepared for a fight.  I usually torment my critter with a quick tug on the whiskers, it is the quickest way I have found to agitate him.  Stick with the paint brush bristles from the synthetic or natural brushes and leave your cat alone. 

wagnersm

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on April 08, 2008, 12:25:25 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2008, 04:07:15 AMOnce read in a mag how one armour modeler used cat's whiskers for radio antennas  :o "First catch your cat"  :rolleyes:
Obviously suggested by someone that has no love for cats.  My cat will shed hair but I yet to see a whisker come off.  If you try to pull them out, be prepared for a fight.  I usually torment my critter with a quick tug on the whiskers, it is the quickest way I have found to agitate him.  Stick with the paint brush bristles from the synthetic or natural brushes and leave your cat alone. 

My kitties would shed whiskers all the time. 

And tips of their claws as well.

Steve

The Rat

What a co-inkydink, I just picked a cat whisker off the floor a few minutes ago and thought 'that would make a good antenna'. I don't do armour though, anyone want me to mail it to them?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

That's funny...I've got a pair o' cats and can't say as I've ever recalled finding a whisker around ! Lots of claws and puke, but no whiskers !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

frank2056

I found a couple of cat whiskers and they seem to taper too quickly to make a realistic antenna. Maybe my cats are just strange.

I used plastic fiber optics as antennas on my Armor GB tank, just because I had a long enough fiber lying about. Bad idea; the plastic fiber is pretty delicate and both antennas have broken off more than once.

The Rat

Quote from: frank2056 on April 17, 2008, 01:44:24 PMI found a couple of cat whiskers and they seem to taper too quickly to make a realistic antenna.

Frank, if you want to survive in the world of whiffery you've got to have your BS excuses ready. Just tell anyone who gripes that it's 'scale effect'!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sotoolslinger

My mind wanders,  :huh: I find shed catclaws , a cast of this neat shape would make really neat teeth on a model , either as a mask or actual raised detail on a pirate or mercenary aircraft. :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Okay, Ms. Hitler here: Yes, cats do shed whiskers quite frequently.

JHM: I've since located a source for all sorts of (very straight) ss wire in many different tiny gauges at Small Parts.

I bought some 9 and 10 thou stuff: perfect for antennae, aerials and rigging!

http://www.smallparts.com/

Ms. H: You #@&*%!!!  I told you no more online shopping!!!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

I wonder if you can buy a cat online?

Brian da Basher