Uninhabited and Unafraid, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UCAV, UAV, and Drone Aircraft)

Started by GTX, April 04, 2008, 06:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

I can't resist sharing this here, my own take on an unmanned F-23 (had not seen the drawing above beforehand, which proves that there would be no two ways to get about it). Sorry for those who already know it from my gallery... And for those who didn't, well make sure to visit it some time...  :thumbsup:

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

That QinetiQ Zephyr in Joes top pic looks familiar......  -_-

It's like a giant version of one the model gliders I used to fly way back when. According to QinetiQ it has a wing span of 54 ft and weighs about 70 lbs, and yet is 'hand launched'...

Yeah right, SOME hands to liftthat weight and size above their head!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Caveman

perhaps hand launched in this case means that take-off is not autonomous?
secretprojects forum migrant

Mossie

I think it means pretty much like it's shown in the pic, it can be launched by two or three fellas, or Lou Ferringo!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

It should be 'handS launched' then!  :lol:

It must be hell trying to keep the wings of a 54 ft span 'model' level with all that intertia, that's 1.5 times the span of a C172!

Seriously, I wonder what's wrong with drop-off wheels, a la Ar234A. I used to do that with my boost engined gliders almost 50 years ago, it's not even rocket science.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Wheels need smooth runways.  Feet don't.  Basically its meant to be a battlefield surveillance drone.  You don't always have nice smooth runways or roads available.  You do however have sufficient diggers to throw the thing into the air.   More than likely its one on the fuselage and one on each wing tip when launching.  I wonder what recovery is like though?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

B777LR

Quote from: Hobbes on December 05, 2009, 01:02:42 AM
QuoteInspired by Red Alert 3's Allied Aircraft Carriers and at this day and age, would a CVL packed with UCAVs for strike duties be more useful than the idea would be just a decade ago?

The image I keep on having in mind is something like the Hyuga class DDH (which has torpedo tubes as well as Mk41 VLS for VL ASROC and ESSM, for defense against targets the UCAVs might not necessarily be able to deal well with) with her flight deck and hanger mostly occupied by the likes of Mantis or Predator C......

Absolutely. Things have come a long way. You'll need new UCAVs for the carrier environment, though. Predator needs a 600m runway.

But carriers also sail into the wind, so it already has a speed of around 40-50 km/h. How much more will it need?

dy031101

Quote from: B787 on February 09, 2010, 01:26:20 PM
QuoteInspired by Red Alert 3's Allied Aircraft Carriers and at this day and age, would a CVL packed with UCAVs for strike duties be more useful than the idea would be just a decade ago?

The image I keep on having in mind is something like the Hyuga class DDH (which has torpedo tubes as well as Mk41 VLS for VL ASROC and ESSM, for defense against targets the UCAVs might not necessarily be able to deal well with) with her flight deck and hanger mostly occupied by the likes of Mantis or Predator C......

Absolutely. Things have come a long way. You'll need new UCAVs for the carrier environment, though. Predator needs a 600m runway.

But carriers also sail into the wind, so it already has a speed of around 40-50 km/h. How much more will it need?

I'm thinking of the jet-powered development...... don't know what difference it makes in terms of takeoff performance though.

UXV is actually imagined to launch Global Hawks using electromagnetic catapult......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

Heh, heh, heh...

QuoteDATE:11/02/10
DARPA launches search for unmanned A-10 replacement
By Stephen Trimble

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency could demonstrate within two to three years a new unmanned aircraft designed to provide aerial cover for troops in close proximity to enemy forces.

Proposals from industry are requested by DARPA by 21 February to demonstrate in 2012 or 2013 an unmanned component for a next-generation close air support system. The complete system may eventually assume a role now traditionally served by the Fairchild A-10 and other manned fighters, such as the Boeing F/A-18 and Lockheed Martin F-16.

More recently, armed unmanned air systems, including the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator and MQ-9 Reaper, have performed close air support missions, firing missiles on enemy forces in contact with friendly troops in addition to their surveillance roles.

DARPA's solicitation, dated 29 January, seeks both purpose-built unmanned systems for close air support, as well as unmanned versions of manned fighters, including the "QF-4, QF-16 and UA-10". The QF-4 and QF-16 designates target drone versions of the original fighters, while the UA-10 is presumably a reference to an unmanned version of the A-10.

DARPA has set different performance requirements for unmanned versions. An unmanned variant of the A-10 would have to demonstrate comparable endurance to the manned version, while a purpose-built UAS would have to equal the persistence of the MQ-1 or MQ-9.

The payload of weapons and sensors sought by DARPA is comparable with the MQ-9, with only 907-2,270kg (2,000-5,000lb) requested. The aircraft, however, should have more agility than the Reaper.

DARPA has asked for high subsonic speed greater than Mach 0.65 and capable of manoeuvres imposing higher than 3g pressure on the airframe.

The US Air Force has committed to making unmanned aircraft a regular part of close air support operations. In the USAF "Flight Plan" for UAS, the next-generation MQ-X aircraft is expected to perform the CAS role, in addition to several missions also performed now by the MQ-9.

SOURCE:Flight International

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

GTX

B777LR

Quote from: dy031101 on February 09, 2010, 04:48:35 PM
Quote from: B787 on February 09, 2010, 01:26:20 PM

I'm thinking of the jet-powered development...... don't know what difference it makes in terms of takeoff performance though.

UXV is actually imagined to launch Global Hawks using electromagnetic catapult......

A modern turbofan can accelerate the aircraft just as fast as a turboprop, so no problems i think.

GTX