Uninhabited and Unafraid, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UCAV, UAV, and Drone Aircraft)

Started by GTX, April 04, 2008, 06:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

That terrain looks rather, well, Australian with the Gums in the background.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

QuoteNorthrop Grumman-built U.S. Navy X-47B Unmanned Combat Aircraft Completes Historic First Flight
First-of-its-Kind, Tailless Aircraft Moves Closer to Carrier Trials in 2013

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif., Feb. 4, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, the Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC)-built U.S. Navy X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System Demonstration (UCAS-D) aircraft successfully completed its historic first flight at Edwards Air Force Base (AFB), Calif.

Conducted by a U.S. Navy/Northrop Grumman test team, the flight took off at 2:09 p.m. PST and lasted 29 minutes. This event marks a critical step in the program, moving the team forward to meet the demonstration objectives of a tailless fighter-sized unmanned aircraft to safely take off from and land on the deck of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.

A social media version of this release that includes photos, video clips, and additional quotes and background material, is available at http://www.irconnect.com/noc/press/pages/news_releases.html?d=209544 

"First flight represents the compilation of numerous tests to validate the airworthiness of the aircraft, and the robustness and reliability of the software that allows it to operate as an autonomous system and eventually have the ability to take-off and land aboard an aircraft carrier," said Capt. Jaime Engdahl, the Navy's UCAS-D program manager.

Northrop Grumman is the Navy's UCAS-D prime contractor and leader of the UCAS-D industry team.

"Designing a tailless, fighter-sized unmanned aircraft from a clean sheet is no small feat," said Janis Pamiljans, vice president and UCAS-D program manager for Northrop Grumman's Aerospace Systems sector. "Commitment, collaboration and uncompromising technical excellence among the Navy, Northrop Grumman and the UCAS-D team industry partners made today's flight a reality. We are indeed honored to have given wings to the Navy's vision for exploring unmanned carrier aviation."

Taking off under hazy skies, the X-47B climbed to an altitude of 5,000 feet, flew several racetrack-type patterns, and landed safely at 2:38 p.m. PST.  The flight provided test data to verify and validate system software for guidance and navigation, and the aerodynamic control of the tailless design.

As with all test programs, first flight represents the culmination, verification and certification of pre-flight system data collected and analyzed by both the Navy and Northrop Grumman. Airframe proof load tests, propulsion system accelerated mission tests, software maturity and reliability simulations, full system taxi tests, and numerous other system test activities were all completed and certified prior to first flight.

The aircraft will remain at Edwards AFB for flight envelope expansion before transitioning to Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., later this year.  There, the system will undergo additional tests to validate its readiness to begin testing in the maritime and carrier environment. The UCAS-D program is preparing the X-47B for carrier trials in 2013.

The Navy awarded the UCAS-D prime contract to Northrop Grumman in August 2007. The six-year contract calls for the development of two X-47B fighter-sized aircraft.  The program will demonstrate the first-ever carrier launches and recoveries by an autonomous, unmanned aircraft with a low-observable-relevant planform. Autonomous aerial refueling will also be performed after carrier integration and at-sea trials.

Northrop Grumman's industry team includes GKN Aerospace, Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, Eaton, GE, Hamilton Sundstrand, Dell, Honeywell, Goodrich, Moog, Wind River, Parker Aerospace and Rockwell Collins.

Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, shipbuilding and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.   Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information.

Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
         (310) 331-6610 office
         (310) 864-3785 mobile
         brooks.mckinney@ngc.com

Cyndi Wegerbauer
         Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
         (858) 618-5323 office
         (858) 705-3280 mobile
         cyndi.wegerbauer@ngc.com

Click on pics to get larger versions:

High res photos and a video of the event here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

KiwiZac

Learnt recently of a New Zealand-developed, diesel powered UAV heli, the TGS Snark:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4785/picture/16646/
http://www.deltahawkengines.com/TGR_VTOL_UAV.pdf

I want one. Not a model though ;) Sadly it wasn't developed for further or (as far as I know) flown, and the company went inti receivership and has been subject to a nasty court case recently.

The Firescout someone posted a few pages back is available in kit form, one of which is one of the bonus aircraft with one of Anigrand's 1/144 kits, I forget which. I like the look of that machine, looks right to me.

I would quite like to build the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 UAV in 1/35, it's a very compact and maneuverable little machine that only comes halfway up your thigh. Great fun to fly and fight with in the game.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

NJD

First post...sweet work yall!

I play too, I draw alot, I am obsessed. This is a concept I ave read about before somewhere, being discussed as a good idea. Since the GH is just floating around, why not give it some teeth, so it can strike if needed.

Arg. Hav'n trouble with the image insert. Ima noob here to posting, but I have ghosted this site for years.

Here's the link

http://nickdwyer.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/hellfire-hawk/
NJD

GTX

Lockheed Martin UCAV Concept (from CodeOne):

Me likey!!! ;D

Regards,

Greg

GTX

rickshaw

I still reckon it would be a very brave carrier commander who'd let UAVs operate from his carrier.  :lol:

Maverick

icchan

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on April 09, 2011, 07:12:07 PM
I still reckon it would be a very brave carrier commander who'd let UAVs operate from his carrier.  :lol:

Quote from: Maverick on April 09, 2011, 07:16:35 PM
Braver still ground troops being supported by them....

That's a very Luddite view - it is going to happen gentlemen.  In fact, it already does, so you should get used to it.

Regards,

Greg

Maverick

Whether it's happening already or not doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing. 

As far as I'm aware, however, there are no autonomous UAVs currently dropping ordnance, they are in simple terms, drones with human operators doing their thing remotely, not truly autonomous.  Either of those two situations isn't something I'd be happy with regarding close air support.

As for being a Luddite, if it means "am I opposed to having robots or remotely operated aircraft dropping ordnance in close proximity to ground troops?" then guilty as charged and happily so.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Quote from: Maverick on April 09, 2011, 10:37:19 PM
Whether it's happening already or not doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing. 

Depends upon one's point of view.

Quote from: Maverick on April 09, 2011, 10:37:19 PM
As far as I'm aware, however, there are no autonomous UAVs currently dropping ordnance

Excuse me, who said anything about fully autonomous???

Maverick

Greg, I never implied that you did. 

I mentioned it because it seems to be the 'wave of the future' with regards to this type of technology.  I actually wonder whether there will be 'drone purists' vs 'AI purists' within this debate, which I personally would find hysterical.

Either way, I stand by my main statement regarding my concerns of this use of technology within a CAS environment (which included both drone & AI applications).

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Quote from: GTX on April 09, 2011, 10:26:32 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on April 09, 2011, 07:12:07 PM

That's a very Luddite view - it is going to happen gentlemen.  In fact, it already does, so you should get used to it.

Regards,

Greg

It was a joke, Greg!   :rolleyes:

It will, I agree happen but I'd still be very worried about operating UAVs in a conventional manner off of a carrier.  The take-offs would be easily accomplished but landing back on?  I'd be worried about a UAV to make the multitude of instantaneous decisions which a live pilot does in such a demanding environment.  Watching an aircraft come over the tail of a carrier deck is worrying enough when there is a pilot in the loop, watching it when there isn't, I'd be a little frightened (and remember, I work in IT so I know what computers can do!   :banghead: ).

GTX