Good 72nd scale Euro Typhoon kit ?

Started by Captain Canada, April 05, 2008, 07:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Mornin' fellas !

I'm sure we've been thru it all ebfore, but I was just wondering what's out there kitwise ? I'm wanting to build one, bad. How about the little Revell 144th scale job ? Any good ? And while I'm asking, is the old Airfix ? Canberra ( or martin ) kit any good ? I'm sure my LHS has had one on the shelf ( in silver USAF markings ) for years....and I've never built one.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

The Revell 144 Eurofighter is an old kit, and basic. It comes with prototype markings only, iirc. As you can see, the intakes and e.g. the missile fins are rather thick.

B777LR

*evillaughter mode on* The Airfix 1/72 kit *evillaughter mode off*

Honstly thoug, avoid this kit unless you need a cheap kit, parts donor, or fun kit. Very good for kids though. Dunno about the Italeri kit, but i would recommend the Revell kit. Did the old on once, and it was great. You should go for the new 1/72 kit with hangar.

XV107

The second best one is the Revell two-seater (http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=RV4338)

The Italeri one is OK (and the two seater was reboxed by Revell, can't recall if the single-holer was), but no more than that; also, you don't get the weapons you do in the new Revell kit.

Airfix are re-releasing their effort. Now it may be that Hornby have a cunning plan to retool it so that we end up with a gem that is the 72nd scale answer to their 48th scale Lightnings/Canberras, or they may simply issue the old one, in which case it's £9.99 spent on obtaining the mid-position pylons missing from the Revell kit and a couple of spare ASRAAM...

Hobbyboss are supposed to be releasing both single- and twin-seaters, although whether these are in their easy build range or not isn't clear.

Captain Canada

Thanks for the tips, guys !

Sounds like I'll steer clear of both the Airfix one and the 144th scale version. I'll see if my LHS can get me the RoG single seater, so i can get all those weapons. I love that one, Chris....weapons set with a free Typhoon !

And on a related note, i finally found the SAM mag that Comrade Lancerov had sent me a few months back ( you know the one, with Leigh's lovely SR1/A in it ) with an article about the RoG kits in both 72nd and 48th.

Thanks again !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PolluxDeltaSeven

I confirm that the new Revell one is a very good model! Probably the best I ever saw for such a low price! (it was even 5€ cheaper than the old Revell kit in the shop I went!)

The weapons include 4 METEOR, 4 AMRAAM, 2 Taurus, 2 Storm Shadow, 2 ASRAAM, 2 IRIST, 2 Sidewinder (sadly not the AIM-9X we could have on the new F-22 kit) and 2 external tanks.
The decals also include the Austria variant, and that's cool!

It only lakes the two "shoulder" pylons (for the GBU-16 carriage, they were in the old kit) and a third external tank.

I hope a future release could be as good but with some other extra-goodies taking into account the recent development of the aircraft (GBU-16, laser designator and RSAF decals)
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Hobbes

Third external tank? Where would that fit?

Captain Canada

Sweet....thanks again, guys ! I think it would look super sexy with those coke-bottle shaped tanks that the Rafale has.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PolluxDeltaSeven

QuoteThird external tank? Where would that fit?
One underfuselage, two underwings, with 4 METEOR under the fuselage, 2 AMRAAM and 2 ASRAAM underwings!  :wub: :wub:

QuoteSweet....thanks again, guys ! I think it would look super sexy with those coke-bottle shaped tanks that the Rafale has.
I plan to put some F-15's tanks under mine's wings, but the Rafale tanks could look cool too.
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Hobbes

But the only place for a centerline fuel tank is behind the main gear, where the tank would interfere with the arrestor hook?

Captain Canada

Ordered the RoG single seater today. Almost grabbed the Italeri two-holer they had there, but the box seemes pretty sparse. Figured I'd wait for the Revell one.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Quote from: Hobbes on April 12, 2008, 08:27:58 AM
But the only place for a centerline fuel tank is behind the main gear, where the tank would interfere with the arrestor hook?

Check it out Harro

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

Ah, I see. I thought the gear doors wouldn't open far enough if you placed the tank there.

Aircav

Quote from: PolluxDeltaSeven on April 12, 2008, 07:28:01 AM
QuoteThird external tank? Where would that fit?
One underfuselage, two underwings, with 4 METEOR under the fuselage, 2 AMRAAM and 2 ASRAAM underwings!  :wub: :wub:

QuoteSweet....thanks again, guys ! I think it would look super sexy with those coke-bottle shaped tanks that the Rafale has.
I plan to put some F-15's tanks under mine's wings, but the Rafale tanks could look cool too.

On my 1/48 Typhoon I used two Academy F-15 tanks, cut about half an inch off the rear, added F-2 drop tank fins that Nev let me have then cut the pylons from the Revell tanks and added them to the Academy tanks.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Captain Canada

Those look good, Stevie ! Is that Typhoon done ? Have I seen it ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?