Some pics for inspiration:

Bleriot Vosin Floatplane

Northrop XP-79B

Avrpro Avenger VTOL UCAV

BAE 'Antigravity Aircraft'

Sikorsky Dragon Warrior UAV

Avro WS606A

Focke Wulf VTOL
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

You know, I don't usually go in for "modern" stuff, but that Northrop XP-79B is as cool as the other side of my pillow!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

Ah, but it'd be 1000x cooler if it had spats eh???  Well, if your tempted Bry, theres many aircraft available from your era, here's a small selection:

Cheranovsky BICh-3 monopsatted wonder.  Unicraft do a resin kit, as well as it's stable mate the BICh-17, armed with two recoiless rifles.

Sack AS-6-V1, Special Hobby do kits in both 1/72 & 1/48.

Arup S-2 Racer, with, you guessed it, spats!!!

Plenty more too Bri, many , circular & eliptical wings were explored from before the Wright Flyer & continue to this day.  If your interested in any particular era of flight, there'll be some kind of aircraft that'll fit into this build.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

Ooohhhh I really like that Arup S-2 Racer!

I love spats! :wub:

Brian da Basher

Mossie

That's the kind of thing Rad!  Lenticular means 'lens shaped' Daryl, one of the aircraft that shows it best is the X-24A.  Most lifting bodys have this kind of shape (I should have left it at  'lifting body'!):

Martin-Marrietta X-24A

Another word to throw at you is 'annular' wing, meaning 'heel shaped'.  Bit of a stretch saying these look like a heel, but if you look at the Lippicsh Aerodyne upside down, you'll see it kind of looks like a foot.  This kind of shape is particularly applicable to ducted fan aircraft:

SNECMA C.450

Lippisch Aerodyne

As with a lot of these aircraft, there are kits of them around, believe it or not.  Mach 2 do injection kits of both the X-24A (as a double kit with the X-24B) & the SNECMA C.450, & Unicraft does a resin kit of the Lippisch Aerodyne.

Archibald

Ok, Coleoptere seem rather a good choice ;) .
Don't forget Morane Saulnier statodynes studies (I'll show pics of those project soon)

Vought flying pancakes!! And Boeing 390/ 391 / 396 !!! (Vought's  competitors)

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

dragon

QuoteAnother word to throw at you is 'annular' wing, meaning 'heel shaped'.  Bit of a stretch saying these look like a heel, but if you look at the Lippicsh Aerodyne upside down, you'll see it kind of looks like a foot.  This kind of shape is particularly applicable to ducted fan aircraft:

SNECMA C.450

Lippisch Aerodyne

As with a lot of these aircraft, there are kits of them around, believe it or not.  Mach 2 do injection kits of both the X-24A (as a double kit with the X-24B) & the SNECMA C.450, & Unicraft does a resin kit of the Lippisch Aerodyne.
You sure?  I thought "annular" came from "annulus" or Ring. Ring wing makes sense when seen in cross section. B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Mossie

Looks like were accruing enough for a GB!

Here's another one I remembered, the doughnut shaped Westland WG.33, intended as light personal transport 'jeep'-style helicopter.  The saucer shape had nothing to with it's flight characteristcs, it just made the design as compact as possible, along with the contra-rotor.

jcf

QuoteYou know, I don't usually go in for "modern" stuff, but that Northrop XP-79B is as cool as the other side of my pillow!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher
Then you'll really like the MX-334:

Cheers, Jon

Mossie

Nice pics Jon!  Have you got any more rare wonders from your deep archives?

GTX

How about this supposed proposal of the '50s/'60s:

See here for more details.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Thanks for that Greg, that ones in the Rose & Butler book & gets a reasonable amount of coverage, along with the Lockheed proposal.

A few more, then I'll give it a rest:

Curtis Wright Air Car, not an aircraft as such, but a ground effect machine, designed to hover just above the ground.

Flying Saucer Bus from Science & Mechanics

Lockheed Martin P.791 Hybrid Airship.  Hybrid Airships are heavier than air airships with the structure providing about a third of the lift.  Suction cushions anchor it to the floor, which enable it to be easily loaded with large items.  This is difficult with traditional airships which are tethered by ropes & therefore suceptible to wind.

Anyone else up for it?

elmayerle

The Lockheed Martin P.791 Hybrid Airship rather reminds me of the Aereon III.

Wikipedia Entry

Corporate Website with picture

Interesting concept, Aereon, no?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mossie

I wasn't going to give any more 'inspiration' but when I read about this in Rose & Butler I had to post about it.

There was a circular winged Bf-109 project named the Me-600.  Derived from the Sack AS-6 (the Me-600 was also designated AS-7) it would have had a Bf-109K fuselage, powered by a 2000hp DB-605 with a four blade prop & six MK 108 cannon in the wing & should have been good for 500mph+.  I can't find any pics but I guess the wing would be similar to the AS-6.  There's some doubts as to wether the project really existed, but so what!?!  It needs building!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Sack_A...tt_600_proposal

GTX

Another that would fit this build nicely - the GD lenticular interceptor as posted by Scott on SecretProjects:

Source:  http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3189.0.html

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!