Just when you thought some of our ideas were"out there"...

Started by GTX, April 11, 2008, 01:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Along comes something like this:

The Yakovlev VVP-6:

Development of jet-lift V/STOL aircraft made it desirable also to develop supporting vehicles able to supply the dispersed and frequently moved operating bases with food, fuel and munitions, and also to provide defence. Yakovlev produced this remarkable project for a complete flying SAM (surface-to-air missile) system.

The huge box-like fuselage, some 49m long, carried six V-750 (11D) or V-755 (20D) [ASCC name 'Guideline'] missiles ready to fire on their launchers, plus reloads and the supporting radars and auxiliary power supplies. It was lifted by six six-blade rotors, each driven by four turboshaft engines. The requirement evaporated with failure to put land-based V/STOLs into service.

Bill Gunston & Yefim Gordon "Yakovlev Aircraft since 1924", 1997

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

puddingwrestler

There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

I found this on't tinterweb the other day, published in 1934 (see more at http://blog.modernmechanix.com/covers/).  Mad but not impossible, I guess! ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

lancer

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 11, 2008, 03:24:26 PM
I could've sworn I saw that thing on Thunderbirds!  ;D

Naaah, it was Captain Scarlet...trust me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

GTX

What would be really funny would be to model the VVP-6 and place it alongside other whiffs.  When someone says its obviously not real, you pull out the info and show that it was a real concept - they would then start to wonder about all the other 'more conventional' whiffs.

Regards,

Greg

John Howling Mouse

Still trying to figure out where the cockpit would be!

Speaking of weird stuff, I think someone here made a UCAV similar to the Yak Albatros, no?

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

QuoteStill trying to figure out where the cockpit would be!

I think the entire nose is a cockpit - or should that be a bridge?

Regards,

Greg