C-69/L-049 question:

Started by Daryl J., April 18, 2008, 12:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Could the C-69 have been used in Atlantic ASW work during WW-II?

Later used in Korea as an early Puff the Magic Dragon variant?

This is more of a structural question than a profile-type question so hopefully this is the place to post the thread.

Daryl J., ready for Friday!!!

Martin H

Id say yes it could do the atlantic ASW job....seeing as the proposed XB-30 was basicly a conni with suitable mods.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Jennings

Except for the fact that by mid-1943 the AAF was out of the ASW biz.  The Navy took over all land based ASW at that point.  The C-69 didn't fly until mid-43, so it was kind of a day late and a dollar short for that mission.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

famvburg

Not the C-69, but the C-121 was considered as a gunship replacement for the AC-47, which ended up being filled by the AC-130. IIRC, variants of the C-97, C-118, C-131, P-2, C-121 & C-130 were considered, but the C-130 was deemed the most feasible all around. So, I suppose the C-69 'could' be a gunship.

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 18, 2008, 12:18:28 PM
Could the C-69 have been used in Atlantic ASW work during WW-II?

Later used in Korea as an early Puff the Magic Dragon variant?

This is more of a structural question than a profile-type question so hopefully this is the place to post the thread.

Daryl J., ready for Friday!!!

Daryl J.

Jennings,

I'd have to fiddle with the timelines a bit as well  the rivalries in order to get it to work, but......

So there was a C-121 gunship variant planned?   Gotta go hit Google in a bit to check that out further.

Daryl J.

famvburg

I don't know about just how 'planned', but it's mentioned in a book about gunships. It's not one of the more common books, has one of those really long USAF study kinda titles. It's merely mentioned as being considered. I made an "AC-97" a while back using AC-130 bits & a KC-97. I just picked up a couple of AC-130 kits to use the bits to finish my "AC-118" & start my "AC-121".

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 18, 2008, 03:33:30 PM
Jennings,

I'd have to fiddle with the timelines a bit as well  the rivalries in order to get it to work, but......

So there was a C-121 gunship variant planned?   Gotta go hit Google in a bit to check that out further.

Daryl J.

Jennings

The AC-141A was also floated seriously for a while, but MAC put the kaibosh on it, since airlifters were always in short supply.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Daryl J.

Which means that this would work as a whiff:  Heller round nosed Constellation, round side windows (it's been so long since I've looked at my kit that maybe they already have them....I don't know Constellations),  mini guns out the side, napalm on the wings, tip tanks--oversized, and SEA/Black.   Perhaps a large port could be opened up behind the main wing on both sides to have some sort of larger gun that can swivel and fire out of either side.

Perhaps a DC-6 would work for this too yes?

BTW, did Heller begin repressing kits again?

Daryl J.

dogsbody

Back to the ASW Connie. What about a ventral pod, like that fitted under the Fw 200 Condor? It could house the search radar and a bombay.

My 2 cents.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

famvburg

Why not the pod(s) from the EC-121 / WV-2?

Quote from: dogsbody on April 19, 2008, 03:36:48 PM
Back to the ASW Connie. What about a ventral pod, like that fitted under the Fw 200 Condor? It could house the search radar and a bombay.

My 2 cents.

famvburg

Why bother with oversized tip tanks? It's not like it needs extra range for a gunship.

Quote from: Daryl J. on April 19, 2008, 10:29:42 AM
Which means that this would work as a whiff:  Heller round nosed Constellation, round side windows (it's been so long since I've looked at my kit that maybe they already have them....I don't know Constellations),  mini guns out the side, napalm on the wings, tip tanks--oversized, and SEA/Black.   Perhaps a large port could be opened up behind the main wing on both sides to have some sort of larger gun that can swivel and fire out of either side.

Perhaps a DC-6 would work for this too yes?

BTW, did Heller begin repressing kits again?

Daryl J.

Hawkeye

Using an airliner type fuselage (high floor small cabin diameter) or aircraft with low wing is not as feasible as a cargo configuration with a high wing. The high wing eliminates the field of fire issues associated with a low wing. The cavernous cargo fuselage permits mounting of the weapons, their support equipment and most importantly the ammo. The low cargo floor facilitates easy loading of ammo. Ever try to hand load an aircraft who's cargo floor is 7+ feet above your head versus one that is slightly higher than ones waist...I have.

The Connie was somewhat suitable as a bomber, as well as a search and rescue (Dumbo) aircraft. Or a Naval Patrol Aircraft like the P-3 or Neptune. It would also have been a feasible tanker platform to refuel early jets and Vietnam era heavy helos.

Gunship? Not to my line of thinking...but to add one more a Drone Director...DC-121
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.