Canberra GR.22

Started by SimonR, April 19, 2008, 04:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

The thread in General on the Nimrod MRA.4 got me thinking. The design philosophy can best be summarised as developing a platform that has been obsolete for decades far beyond the point of the reason to provide a marginal improvement in capability for ridiculous cost. I then further thought what if we apply that school of madness to another aircraft and see what we get.How about a four engined, Storm Shadow hauling, extended fuselage Canberra?

Here's a quick drawing of the concept and a photo of the raw materials.

I have several goals for this project:

1. Finish it before I move to Australia in July.

2. Seeing JHM's cockpit in the ill fated Scrambled Fighter was a kick in the pods that made me realise how much I suck at building cockpits. I am determined to at least improve my cockpit building skills on this.

3. Express some MRA.4-ness in the design by having many scoops, bumps, antennae attached while retaining the essential Canberra-ness.

Right, pass me that Dremel...
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Captain Canada

Wow...great start to thread. Simon ! Really looking forward to seeing this baby progress !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Heh, heh, I'll bet your cockpit will be fantastic.  Sure wish the LHS's would carry this kit here.  Must be fairly large when assembled.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

I applaud your thinking Simon and very much look forward to seeing the end result!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

The Rat

Great minds think alike (or is that 'Fools never differ'?). I posted this one a few years back:

Feel free to use the name Thunder if you wish, I'll probably never get around to tackling it. I'm gonna love seeing this one!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

I thought it looked kinda familiar.....either way, she's gonna be a beauty !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ed S

Quote from: SimonR on April 19, 2008, 04:25:47 PM
The design philosophy can best be summarised as developing a platform that has been obsolete for decades far beyond the point of the reason to provide a marginal improvement in capability for ridiculous cost.

You have captured the exact thinking process of a gov't beauracrat.

And the model is going to look cool.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Eddie M.

It absolutely thrills me to see your workbench open for business again. Even though the Scrambled fighter had a drawback, I'm still honored to have had you and Baz take a crack at it.

Looking forward to seeing this one come alive!
   Eddie
Look behind you!

SimonR

Quote from: The Rat on April 19, 2008, 06:10:58 PM
Great minds think alike (or is that 'Fools never differ'?). I posted this one a few years back:

It goes to show that there is nothing new in the world of whiffing!

My first task is to insert a 1m (21mm in scale) plug in the fuselage. Unfortunately, the only place I can put the plug is directly in front of the wing roots and it will be occluded by the bomb bay. So, I'll have to build the fuselage with the bomb bay closed then cut it and insert the Forex plug.

I've also worked out what machine Airfix used to engrave the panel lines in the master for this kit.

Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

lancer

LMAO at the panel line engraving machine, don't you think you'll make the lines a bit understated??? :ph34r: :ph34r:
On a serious note, I like where this project is going. I'll be following it with great interest!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Martin H

So thats were the matchbox trenching tool ended up.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ohhh this HAS got my attention !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

SimonR

Quote from: Martin H on April 20, 2008, 11:31:25 AM
So thats were the matchbox trenching tool ended up.

The whole kit is quite piss poor really - it looks like it was done by the Trumpeter B Team. Airfix deserve to go bankrupt again.
Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

SimonR

Fuselage extension using the Wolfik method...

First I marked the cut line with masking tape. It has to be exactly straight all the way around.

Cut complete.

I chose the part of the fuselage that is exactly circular in cross-section so I can use my Olfa cutter to make the circular plug. That part of the Canberra fuselage is just over 2m in diameter so in 1/48 I need 42mm diameter circles cut from 2mm Forex.

I settled for 7 sections making the fuselage approximately 0.7m longer. It's very important they are all aligned so I build the plug by using CA to cement the circles together on a needle.

Here's the plug installed, just a normal PSR operation from this point.

Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

Daryl J.

Now this is modelling!!!    :thumbsup:

Daryl J., who can't wait to get an Airfix Cranberry