GTX

QuoteA trimotor รก la SM.79?

Will this do:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Greg,

Thanks for the info on the Duka.  It certainly looked a beast although I think that its application towards armour might be difficult not from a technical point of view, but from the aspect of different ammunition types (ie: HE, HEAT, HESH, etc, etc).  It's one of the failings of autoloaders as tank systems, although I believe many Soviet tanks have autoloaders fitted.

Regarding the He-111 nachtjager, whilst I realise that the 'stepped' windscreen of the earlier Heinkels lends itself towards the role, I think that the SN-2 radar and schrage musik installations wouldn't.  Being an earlier airframe, I could see them using just the guns in the nose and perhaps the 'Spanner' IR system that was used on earlier Do-17Zs and Do-215s.

Regards,

John

GTX

QuoteThanks for the info on the Duka.  It certainly looked a beast although I think that its application towards armour might be difficult not from a technical point of view, but from the aspect of different ammunition types (ie: HE, HEAT, HESH, etc, etc).  It's one of the failings of autoloaders as tank systems, although I believe many Soviet tanks have autoloaders fitted.

Getting a little off topic, but if one fitted this to say a Tiger sized tank with two revolver drums, one could fit anti-tank ronds in one and HE in the other to provide a useful system.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

QuoteRegarding the He-111 nachtjager, whilst I realise that the 'stepped' windscreen of the earlier Heinkels lends itself towards the role, I think that the SN-2 radar and schrage musik installations wouldn't.  Being an earlier airframe, I could see them using just the guns in the nose and perhaps the 'Spanner' IR system that was used on earlier Do-17Zs and Do-215s.

Bah!!!  Technical issues... ;D ;D ;D

Regards,

Greg

Brian da Basher

The tri-motor version is a real looker! I wonder who'll bring it into 3D in styrene?

Nice work, Greg!

Brian da Basher

GTX

QuoteAn He 119 type conversion of the 111 with four engines (two twinned-engine asemblies) and contra-props would be interesting and mechanically complex enough to be a plausible German project.

He-111. ala He-119 style:

Regards,

Greg

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Arc3371

The trimotor is great but add standard wings to the last one and you get a true looker!

GTX

Quote from: Archibald on April 21, 2008, 08:58:12 AM
In autumn 1940 Luftwaffe finally understood that Me-109 had too short range, Bf-110 were too vulnerable. The solution found was similar to what USAAF did three years later with B-17 and B-24 : a flying AAA platform  with massive firepower.
Sadly with all these weapons onboard these He-111 could no longer followed the bombers, and were quickly scrapped.

or alternatively, they try this as a way of increasing the range of the Me-109:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: Arc3371 on April 25, 2008, 06:58:18 AM
The trimotor is great but add standard wings to the last one and you get a true looker!

I take it you mean a tri-motor  He-111 but with the third engine buried within the fuselage like on that variant.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

QuoteAwacs He-111 maybe, with huge radome a la E-1B Tracer ?

Will this suffice?

Regards,

Greg

Arc3371

Quote from: GTX on April 25, 2008, 01:16:46 PM
Quote from: Arc3371 on April 25, 2008, 06:58:18 AM

I take it you mean a tri-motor  He-111 but with the third engine buried within the fuselage like on that variant.

Regards,

Greg

Yes

GTX

How about a pusher variant - with tricycle undercarriage and heavy anti-shipping cannon:

Regards,

Greg

B777LR

I read an article last night, that i had somehow missed, in an old aviation magazine. It was written by an Heinkel He-111 pilot during WWII, who flew in Russia. He told, that the He-111s were often used against tanks, with the gunners machine guns firing AP ammunition. What if this was solved by fitting 6 cannons/MGs (3 on each sideof the fuselage), like on the B-25? Where else could these guns be fitted? :cheers: