Heinkel He 111 and derivatives

Started by GTX, April 21, 2008, 02:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: B777LR on April 26, 2008, 01:25:14 PM
I read an article last night, that i had somehow missed, in an old aviation magazine. It was written by an Heinkel He-111 pilot during WWII, who flew in Russia. He told, that the He-111s were often used against tanks, with the gunners machine guns firing AP ammunition. What if this was solved by fitting 6 cannons/MGs (3 on each sideof the fuselage), like on the B-25? Where else could these guns be fitted? :cheers:

How about a variant with eight 20 mm MG 151/20 E cannons - two in pods under each wing and two scabbed onto either side of the cockpit:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

The pusher He looks diffent, although I'm not sure where the trike nosegear would go?

The multi cannon armed one reminds me of the B-25 strafers.  I wonder if the He would have enough agility 'down low'?

Regards,

Mav

jcf

Quote from: GTX on April 24, 2008, 06:02:16 PM
QuoteAn He 119 type conversion of the 111 with four engines (two twinned-engine asemblies) and contra-props would be interesting and mechanically complex enough to be a plausible German project.

He-111. ala He-119 style:

Regards,

Greg

Interesting, although I was thinking more of a recce bird without protuberances, and the engine placement would create CG problems.
The engine pack would need to be much further forward.

Jon

r16

this was done by Glenn in 2006 ; I don't have the page

[attachment deleted by admin]

Daryl J.

USAF Vietnam, word picture only:

Dorsal and ventral turrets removed.  Two Gatling guns in a pair of fairings beneath the bombay, SEA camo.   Would a SUU-11 work?  Two of them?

USCG SAR.    Largely demilitarized and refitted for duty out of Astoria and North Bend, OR.

But these presume the production facilities were under Allied control post-war and I'm clueless as to that.

:cheers:,
Daryl J.

gooberliberation

Quote from: Daryl J. on May 03, 2008, 12:00:45 PM
But these presume the production facilities were under Allied control post-war and I'm clueless as to that.

Or perhaps CASA continued production and did a helluva lot more than simply re-engine them(think of all the things people have done to DC-3s/C-47s to try keeping them modern)

That'd be one way to explain the USAF getting their hands on some.
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

sotoolslinger

Do ya'll think that a version of that Duka gun would fit in an TBF/TBM Avenger torpedo bay? :cheers: :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

GTX

It was 4.705m in overall length with a barrel 3.403m long.  I'll leave you to determine/try.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

Dear Frank2056, GTX and Greg--I'm here at last!

Frank, thank you SO MUCH for continuing to host my spate of "what-if's" on your "bol-ucla" site.

Yes, the "He-211 Albatros" is mine. I have always liked the concept, but I have also always been a little disappointed in the fuselage part of it, from a number of standpoints. The stepped-windscreen nose had a LOT of problems (my cat chewing on it, heat warp, and dropping it on its nose once!!) and is too "pointy" in my opinion.

I am thinking also that the fuselage is a little too short (see topview illustration) for the wingspan (although more of a natural "albatros" appearance) so I have contemplated a new, slightly larger and longer fuselage for it from a 1/64 He-111 by Lindberg with the current Italaeri tail as an extension, and the Roden kit's early nose with a little extension from an old vac-form Me-264. The original wings were the hardest part, as I combined TWO hacked "Zwilling" kits (for the twin engines and straight wing sections) and vac-form He-111 "B" wingtips. I can hack the wings away and put them onto the new fuselage, but I so love the camo pattern and unfortunately cannot duplicate it exactly. My paints have dried up (been out of modeling for some fifteen years--just coming back into it) but I can make new ones, of course. I just would hate to have to paint the ENTIRE model over again (although I would just do the top, anyway).

I do love Heinkel products. I will be making a torpedo-bomber out of a He-119, as if used in the Marshall Islands (former German colonies) by "Commando Marschall" (German Admiral)--a German "expeditionary air force" in the Pacific. I have "invented" suitable markings that combine German and Japanese insignia--looks a little like a Zuni Indian symbol (painted on a "dummy" scrapped aircraft to see the effect).

I also made a Heinkel He-151 figher, c. Anschluss period, made from the fuselage of a He-51 mated to the bent-wing monoplane of a He-112 fighter. So we have an open-cockpit monoplane kinda like a "Claude". Photos of this plane are up on another site--a UK "SIG" for what-if models (certainly not as active as this site).

I have a long list of projects!

Craig Burke
AKA Sequoiaranger (former Park Ranger in the Giant Sequoias)
Also AKA "Admiral U. Furashita"
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

sequoiaranger

Here is my burgeoning photo album at the UK SIG:

http://groups.msn.com/TheWhatifandoddballmodelpage/myflightsoffancy.msnw

I don't know if you have to be a member there to get into the site.

Hey Frank, is there any way I can "edit" (or you can for me) the content of "my" bol-ucla site? I have a few corrections/additions I would like to make. I don't "need" to put more models on there, just clean up the narrative or add a few things. It hasn't been updated since.....JEEZ! 1998--that's TEN YEARS AGO!

Brian da Basher

Your work astoundingly amazing and brilliant!! It would be impossible for me to pick a favorite, but I strongly suggest others take a look at your contributions to the U.K. What-If SIG site.

Welcome to What-If, Sequoiaranger. You fit right in!

Brian da Basher

Maverick

Sweet 211 Craig,

I've always thought it looked just the part when I first saw it on Frank's site.

Welcome Aboard!

Regards,

Mav

sotoolslinger

Holy crap SEQUOIARANGER you are brilliant. Just superb. :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

sequoiaranger

Thanks for the kudos. I love this genre for modeling. I don't know how much time I will be spending here at "What-if Modelers", as it takes away from my actual modeling time!! I'll certainly check in occasionally. I have at least a dozen other completed projects that are not up on the Web anywhere. I'll post an occasional photo here, too, in the spirit of sharing and, hopefully, inspiration for further efforts.

Craig Burke

frank2056

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 15, 2008, 08:51:45 AM
Hey Frank, is there any way I can "edit" (or you can for me) the content of "my" bol-ucla site? I have a few corrections/additions I would like to make. I don't "need" to put more models on there, just clean up the narrative or add a few things. It hasn't been updated since.....JEEZ! 1998--that's TEN YEARS AGO!

Hey Craig! Somehow I missed the additions to this thread - and was just about to send you a PM when I saw your "Biplane Fighters from the Thirties" post.

It's no problem editing/adding pictures whatever to your content on your page that I'm hosting. Yours and Mark Hernandez still get quite a few hits every month. Just email me the pictures/text change and I'll spruce it up.

Frank