Heinkel He 111 and derivatives

Started by GTX, April 21, 2008, 02:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

I have kept a Lindberg "See Thru" packaged, classic model and box of their He-111 for some 45 years, *KNOWING* it was a badd-a$$ rare kit, and, I was going to use it for an upcoming whif (actually already used some of it for the Aichi 119) to improve and "Phoenix" my He-211 (larger and longer fuselage) made from the fine Italeri kit(s).

NOW-- Lindberg has re-released this ancient kit. Though it purports to be 1/72, it is nowhere near--really about 1/64. If you compare it to the incomparable Italeri 1/72 kit of the He-111, you will immediately see MAJOR size differences. The moveable flying surfaces are moveable, but kinda crudely done. The whole model is kinda crudely, and sometimes inaccurately, done, but it was a sturdy "toy" model, had neat bomb carts and figures, etc.

They also released the companion Ju-88, of which I still have the carcass that I use as a painting dummy.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on May 10, 2009, 02:41:38 PM

As to the radiator, it may be neat to do an intake on the wing leading edge and then embed the radiator in the win itself so as to keep a clean arrangement.

Or you could have circular fan-cooled radiators in place of the original wing-mounted engines. That would make it easier to build (no engine cut-outs to fill) and is remeniscent of various Luft '46 projects.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dumaniac

love the 4 engined He211 - I will have to put that on the to-do list.  I already have the radial engined on the list - too many conversions and not enough time.  Cheers  Bernie

sequoiaranger

I have the old one, a REALLY old one with "Cellovision" see-thru packaging, a "trading card" to cut out of the box, and a $.98 price stamped on the box. The scale works out to be 1/62, based on the fuselage length (NOT 1/72 as touted). The Italeri and Roden kits are "true" 1/72 are are a bit dwarfed by the Lindberg He-111 (that's why I am going to use it in my He-211 Phoenix re-build)

As I compare the two, the re-issued one looks identical to the old one, EXCEPT:

It is molded in white plastic instead of the pea-soup green of nearly all the old Lindberg models. Still with a bit of flash to scrape off, but not any more or less than the old one.

The pilot, bombardier, and top gunner figures of the old kit are NOT included in the new one, though they are shown on the instruction sheet. I compared the sprues of the old Lindberg to the new, and some of the sprues have been re-arranged. The crew (including separate arms for the bombardier and gunner) has been deleted on the re-issue. However, the "guy pulling the engine cart" is still there. A few of the pieces, notably the horizontal stabilizer, are a bit warped. The decals are different, but the letters don't correspond to any Geschwader markings I know.

The new one also cost TWENTY-THREE times as much as the old one, at about $22.50 USD from Squadron (and that was "discounted").
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Something like the radial-engined CNAC He 111 is a possibility (unknown engines probably P&W Wasp, Hornet or Wright Cyclone), also the He 111 V-14 and V-15 were equipped with 9-cylinder BMW 132C radials.

apophenia

Jon, a few sources say that this He-111A belonged to CATC (Central Air Transport Company) rather than CNAC (note the underwing 'ATC'). Heinkel 1902 was transfered to CATC on 25 Feb 1943 and was fitted with P&W engines after a crash in Dec 1944. Some say that the engines came from a DC-2, making Hornets most probable.

JMN mode off -- a fascinating aircraft no matter who it belonged to!

GTX

Does anyone know if there is a 1/48 kit or at least a conversion of the He-111H-20 with the power turret?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Hi Greg,
yep, the Monogram Pro-Modeler He 111 H-22 kit has the power turret, along with underwing V-1.

'Tis yers if you want it.  ;D

Jon

jcf

Quote from: apophenia on March 08, 2010, 08:29:23 PM
Jon, a few sources say that this He-111A belonged to CATC (Central Air Transport Company) rather than CNAC (note the underwing 'ATC'). Heinkel 1902 was transfered to CATC on 25 Feb 1943 and was fitted with P&W engines after a crash in Dec 1944. Some say that the engines came from a DC-2, making Hornets most probable.

JMN mode off -- a fascinating aircraft no matter who it belonged to!

Hey apo,
yep 'tis CATC, I was running on memory rather than references. Not a good idea sometimes.  ;)

dogsbody

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 11, 2010, 02:08:54 PM
Hi Greg,
yep, the Monogram Pro-Modeler He 111 H-22 kit has the power turret, along with underwing V-1.

'Tis yers if you want it.  ;D

Jon

I've never seen that kit. I have an Italeri 1/72 H-22 with the V-1.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

tigercat

How about a V-22 Osprey type conversion

GTX

Quote from: tigercat on June 13, 2010, 03:03:37 AM
How about a V-22 Osprey type conversion

Not quite sure how that would go.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tigercat

Give the He 111 tilt rotors on the wing tips

tigercat

What about a variant where the Germans embraced turrets more with the HE 11 having similar armament to a Wellington

Flyboy69

Greg, nice profiles. I specialy like the delta version.
Could I borow it. Maybee for a what if. I stil have a extra He 111 fuselage. Maybee there is something to do with it.

Arnold

Finally out of the closet!!!!!!!