AVRO Lincoln Miles M.52 combination.

Started by BillSlim, April 27, 2008, 08:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillSlim

I had this idea today when I was at the Scottish Nationals and brought it up with NARSES. Basically in a nutshell it's this a model of an RAF Lincoln carrying the Miles M.52 supersonic test aircraft.
The back story for it would be that this is the Mile M.52 flown by Rear Admiral Sir Eric 'Winkle' Brown, RN (Retired) just before his pioneering supersonic flight. Rear Admiral Brown (or Commander as he would be at the time) was the first man to break the sound barrier and live, beating Colonel Chuck Yeager by six months.

NARSES also suggested that if the M.52 were fitted with an atomic warhead it might serve as the basis for a stand-off weapon, a sort of Blue Steel 20 years in advance. I also thought that a radio guided, or radar guided version might serve as an anti-ship missile.

Anyway I turn this idea over to you whiffers with more modeling talent than me to do with as you please. Hope to see something in the not too distant future.  :thumbsup:
'Fire up the Quattro!'
'I'm arresting you for murdering my car, you dyke-digging tosspot! - Gene Hunt.

kitnut617

I've recently got hold of the Paragon Merlin 85 conversion but at the moment it's OOP.  While on ARC a few weeks ago I went to the source and ask Neil if he had one I could buy.  He said he would have to rumage through his workshop to see if there was one about and in the end he did find me one.  It's a very nice resin conversion too.  Alternatively you could get the Flightpath Lincoln conversion as the engine nacelles look about the same, I have some left over from my Nottingham project and I did a comparison.  The Paragon conversion is a bit better as it provides a transition part for the kit inner nacelles to conversion forward nacelle part whereas on the Flightpath conversion it tells you to blend it in with putty.  In both sets you get completely new outer nacelles.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

BillSlim

NARSES did say it would have been a Lanc, the Lincoln was just the first aircraft to come to mind, though I did also consider the Washington, but it would be too early and it would be nice to keep it all British.
NARSES did also suggest scratch-building the M.52 as it is a pretty simple shape, and anyway one only has to show the bottom half of it if its recessed beneath the Lanc. I did also hear that there are at least a couple of M.52 kits, but IIRC they were in 1/72nd.

It's all a bit beyond my capabilities, but maybe someone else could manage it, or do a profile perhaps?
It would be nice to see a 'whiff' where it was Britain that broke the sound barrier first.  :lol:
'Fire up the Quattro!'

Captain Canada

This is surely one thread that has got me thinking.....I  love post-war Lancs and Lincolns. I'm thinking of a giant tailwheel strut to get her donkey-end up in the air.....just the way I like it !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

BillSlim

If we use the M.52 as a weapon then the Lincoln could be the RAF's first nuclear deterrent force. Maybe there might be no Washington B.1?
Is this an idea for a Group Build, various Lancs and Lincolns with M.52 derivatives?
'Fire up the Quattro!'

lancer

Quote from: BillSlim on April 27, 2008, 11:00:00 AM
If we use the M.52 as a weapon then the Lincoln could be the RAF's first nuclear deterrent force. Maybe there might be no Washington B.1?
Is this an idea for a Group Build, various Lancs and Lincolns with M.52 derivatives?

Sounds like a damm fine idea for a group build.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

I think we should just have a Lancaster/ Lincoln/ Shackleton build. Any way you want it.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

GTX

Forgetting the weapon idea for now, just the Lincon/M.52 First Supersonic flight preparation would make a good diorama.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

RP1

Quoteor do a profile perhaps?

I'm on the case...

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

BillSlim

'Fire up the Quattro!'

RP1

OK, lines done. I plan for all the turrets and H2S to be faired over.  There is some uncertainty as to the exact scale, because it is never clear if "length" means over the fuselage, over guns, over pitot tubes or whatever, but they should be as close as.

So, what colour schemes?  I have the M.52 in this scheme and the "Yellow Peril", but what for the Lincoln. They seem to have worn some kind of NMF with Black bands.

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

BillSlim

That's looking good. Let me did out my Warpaint on the Lincoln and see what colour scheme they wore.
'Fire up the Quattro!'

RP1

I found some schemes for experimental Lincolns from Wings palette, and I'm working something up. I didn't realise they were used until the early 60s as trials aircraft!

I'm also tempted to do a profile of an M.52 shaped GW under one of the Victory Bomber designs from BSP3. Heck, I might even make a 3D model of it...

RP1

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

RP1

Update - this is the scheme I have used, based on Lincolns used as engine testbeds.

RP1

RP1 dot net
My Facebook