Avro Achilles PR2

Started by nev, May 01, 2008, 08:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

OK, really making progress with this one, although not a lot to show other than the cockpit.

The idea for this originally came from one of the BSP books which had the original Vulcan design in anti-flash white on it, a design which looked a little like the Arado E.555

So, What If the Arado design team ended up in British hands at the end of the war?  Bringing with them plans for a long-range, high-altitude jet bomber?  Britain takes the concept and applies the "Mosquito" philosophy of no armament for self-defence - speed and altitude are its protection.

So here are the pics, Baz style.

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Heck, cooking on gas Nev!  Looks like it fell together.  Well spotted with the early Vulcan design, I wouldn't have thought of that!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Patrick H

My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

Jeffry Fontaine

Mossie, you mention Vulcan and I have this image of that Arado wing and rear fuselage section mated up with the forward fuselage of a Vulcan. 

Nev, you could add a couple of additional camera ports to portray the vertical cameras which a high altitude reconnaissance aircraft would use to acquire area and mapping coverage of a target.  Vertical camera ports in side by side or staggered mountings would provide the stero pair images that are necessary for detailed interpretation and analysis of a target. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

nev

Will do - I just drilled some random holes!  :lol:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

nev

Thanks Steve - this is the kit you tracked down for me btw  :thumbsup:

lancer

This is looking very good. I'll be watchnig this one with interes Nev.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

BlackOps

Very nice idea, looks like your off to a great start!

I really like the shape of this, good choice.  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

nev

Well, go the airbrush out this weekend - given my limited airbrush skills/experience, maybe airbrushing acrylics on the hottest day of the year using a 0.3mm nozzle wasn't the best idea  :banghead:

Anyway, had an attempt at pre-shading, just to see how it looked

Then underneath with PRU Blue, above with Medium Sea Grey.  Pre-shading has pretty much disappeared, but there is a very subtle variation in tone visible in the grey which isn't visible in these pics

I thought Xtracrylics were meant to be gloss btw?  So how come mine went on matt?

sotoolslinger

That is frakkin cool.  :thumbsup:Slick work.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Hobbes

The glossiness also depends on the paint:thinner ratio. IIRC if you add too much thinner, the paint goes matt. (Or was it the other way round? )

nev

QuoteI think it depends on what it's been primed with.  Or maybe needs a second coat?

Halfords Grey Primer.  And it had 2 coats - granted 1 after the other, given that it dried almost instantaneously

QuoteThe glossiness also depends on the paint:thinner ratio. IIRC if you add too much thinner, the paint goes matt. (Or was it the other way round? )

50:50 with DI Water

nev

Decalling has commenced

Now I'm just waiting on some white serials from Trev ;)

Mossie

Canberra style colours, looking good!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.