Hawker Hurricane

Started by Daryl J., May 03, 2008, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

In 1/48 using the Hasegawa Hurricane Mk.I kit:

War production urgency simplifications:

Windscreen only with some ''speedster'' side screens that slope down parabolically towards the rear of the cockpit
Exhaust covers a la Mosquito
Two blade prop.
Black/White undersides and either all DE or DG topsides rather than the mix of the two.
Outer wing panels cloth rather than metal utilizing a pattern different than the factory cloth winged Hurricane.

Using the Mk.II with cannons:

Cloth wing never went away.
Fatter prop blade and somewhat enlarged vertical stab....likely as a ventral strake.

All Hasegawa Hurris get the cloth aft half sprayed with Mr. Surfacer 500 and a slight polish to remove that over deep sculpting.

And the previously mentioned Fixed Gear Hurri:

Mk-I w/ a fixed, spatted undercarriage, cloth wing variant, twin blade prop, and the landing lights on short supports mounted slightly above the wing's leading edge.    Armament to be determined.

upnorth

Hello all:

This morning I was in my LHS and they had a pile of old Heller/Smer kits going cheap including the old Heller Hurricane.

The idea crossed my mind about making a bubble top Hurricane. I thought perhaps cut down the rear decking and replace the rear upper fuselage (or possibly all the rear fuselage) fabric with metal sheet.

But then I had no idea if it would be a whiff at all. I'm not aware that a bubble top Hurricane was ever tried, but that certainly doesn't mean that it wasn't. Does anyone know if the idea was ever tested?

I was alternately thinking of simply replacing the sliding section of the canopy with a Malcolm style hood. Did they ever play with that idea?

Thanks for any input.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Martin H

it was looked at but never built.

I did one useing ye olde Revell mk 1 kit many moons ago useing the canopy from a scrapped Airfix Typhoon 1b. with the new spine comeing from the Matchbox Spitfire Mk9/16e kit
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Jeffry Fontaine

I beleive this was the subject of discussion some time back and there was mention of a webpage that had a drawing showing what a Hurricane would look like with this feature. 
Quote(Courtesy of Doctor Pratt-Hooson: Hawker Hurricane ''Defender of the Empire''
Hurricane Improved Canopy (Blister) Project

Reduced rear fuselage secondary structure. Intended to increase field of view for intruder operations. Prototype started but discontinued in March 1942. P3899 trials aircraft first flew on 26th October, 1940.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

My own variations on the thene (with a radial engine thrown in):

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jennings

That last one looks decidedly Ki-100-ish!

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Arc3371

Quote from: GTX on May 09, 2008, 02:23:07 PM
My own variations on the thene (with a radial engine thrown in):

regards,

Greg

So tempted to steal them..

GTX

Jeffry Fontaine

Both of your interpretations of the Hurricane are interesting and would merit replication in plastic.  The second image does make me wonder if there would be a need for a fin fillet to make up for the reduction in height of the fuselage behind the cockpit.  I also have to ask the question of why the Hurricane design was not converted over to an all metal assembly and the tube frame with fabric covering replaced by a metal skin?  The radial conversion is wicked.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on May 09, 2008, 03:04:06 PM
Both of your interpretations of the Hurricane are interesting and would merit replication in plastic.  The second image does make me wonder if there would be a need for a fin fillet to make up for the reduction in height of the fuselage behind the cockpit.  I also have to ask the question of why the Hurricane design was not converted over to an all metal assembly and the tube frame with fabric covering replaced by a metal skin?  The radial conversion is wicked.

Good points - I didn't really think too much the first time (hey, its Saturday!!!)  anyway how's this (I've also added in some cannon):

Regards,

Greg

Martin H

ohhh now its almost a baby sea fury :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

Last variation for now - I've lost the bubble canopy, but gained some floats:

More variations may follow.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

One for BdB:

regards,

Greg

jcf

Quote from: GTX on May 09, 2008, 09:21:21 PM
One for BdB:

regards,

Greg

Stuka gear?

That's just not right.

Jon

NARSES2

There was a bubble top version planned with cut down rear fusalage as well as a Griffon engined version.

One day I'll build a bubble top, with 4 blaed prop and 2 stations under each wing for 40mm S guns and drop tanks (shamelessly copied from something similar seen at Telford  :thumbsup:

The Hurricane version I'd like to do is the Dager engined one - anyone know where I can get hold of a Dagger ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.