Hawker Hurricane

Started by Daryl J., May 03, 2008, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Lots of good idea here....

1. The profile that joncarrfarrelly found is gorgeous.... :wub:

2. Apo's early cannon variant gets me thinking of pre-war export versions: you have one with the four Oerlikons of course, and/or how about one with a Hispano-Suiza V-12? The latter could have four wing guns, or an Hispano cannon in the engine vee and MGs in the wings....

3. It's clear from GTX's finds that a second seat was possible, so how about a subtle two-seater with two standard "greenhouse" canopies and a solid turtle back? The sort of thing that you'd dismiss as "just another Hurricane" and then do a WTF??? double-take...... :wacko:

Quick'n'dirty:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Quote from: Weaver on May 04, 2009, 04:50:33 AM
Quick'n'dirty:

Better still, don't use a Hurri canopy, cut down the rear fuselage and graft on a Harvard/Texan canopy.  That was going to be a whif for later this year/early next year/probably not at all but the vacform canopy darkened befo it coulf be used anf in any case I found a 'real world' use for the Hurricane.   ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on May 02, 2009, 03:05:11 PM
Well, you learn new things every day - I now know that there was such a thing as a Hurricane with a tail gun:
Regards,

Greg

Czech Omega does a kit of that Greg, got one and one of the trainer with the bubble top too, which was a Tempest canopy BTW
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 11, 2010, 10:41:33 AM
AZ Models has this Hurricane touted as a Mk.V

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=&action=prodinfo&parent_id=&art=96431

Surely that's a IID, with the twin 40 mm cannon?

The MkV was only planned, I'm not sure if they actually built any. (but I bet someone on here does....  ;D)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

I know the Defenders of the Empire site many years ago and inspired me to make this...

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 2010, 01:27:04 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 11, 2010, 10:41:33 AM
AZ Models has this Hurricane touted as a Mk.V

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=&action=prodinfo&parent_id=&art=96431

The MkV was only planned, I'm not sure if they actually built any. (but I bet someone on here does....  ;D)

According to Putman's Hawker book,  the Mk.V was also to be a 'ground-attack' version but with a ground-boosted Merlin 32 engine and four blade prop.  It was to be used exclusively in SEAC.  The book says two were converted from Mk.IV's and 200 were put on order, but because of the build-up of other Hurricanes in the far east theatre and it only had a marginal increase in performance, the plan was cancelled.

apophenia

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 2010, 01:27:04 PM

The MkV was only planned, I'm not sure if they actually built any. (but I bet someone on here does....  ;D)

The Mk.Vs were supposed to have the Vickers S. I guess the Rotol 4-bladed prop is what would distinguish the Mk.V visually from a Mk.IID. Hard to tell from the box-cover art...

Built? Well, there were two (KX405 and KZ193) Mk.Vs but both were up-engined Mk.IV conversions. [BTW, some sources say three Mk.V conversions. Can anyone confirm? Serial number?]

[Image deleted to spare Download File]

PR19_Kit

I KNEW we'd get the answer on here from someone.   ;D

Two 'someones' in this case, well done gentlemen.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 05, 2009, 10:43:14 AM
Quote from: GTX on May 02, 2009, 03:05:11 PM
Well, you learn new things every day - I now know that there was such a thing as a Hurricane with a tail gun:
Regards,

Greg

Czech Omega does a kit of that Greg, got one and one of the trainer with the bubble top too, which was a Tempest canopy BTW

I'm tempted to do that with an Airfix mk I that I hacked about, as a light bomber over Iraq.  Aha!  That'll do as my SIG build.

I also picked up one of the two seat trainers at Telford but I like the idea of it being real world too much.  Although then again,keep the Persian/Iranian markings but add a pair of S guns and have it going against Russian tanks as a border.  incursion in 1950?  Ironically, I found an armoured radiator so I may have a bash at this one after chopping up a Heller Hurricane IIc.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

GTX

Something different for those CAM ships:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Pablo1965

I know thw two float version but this looks like a japanese hurricare.
see http://www.k5083.mistral.co.uk/PROJECTS.HTM

Maverick

Greg, it's a nifty idea but is it a twin-float machine with outriggers?  I ask because two of the struts are 'beside' the air intake & radiator.

The concept is quite logical.  I always thought the CAM idea was ok, but the loss of the aircraft after a single sortie seemed odd.  I don't think the performance penalties of a float equipped Hurricane would impact that much, given their prey were Fw-200s which weren't the most sprightly performers.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

It is meant to have the same basic arrangement as the Rufe - i.e central main float + outriggers.  I was aware of the twin float variant and indeed modified that drawing to create this.  The central float is meant to have a strut arrangement somewhat like below so as to ensure the central radiator intake is unobstructed.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

Ah okies.  Ta Greg.

Regards,

Mav