Hawker Hurricane

Started by Daryl J., May 03, 2008, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Hawker Fury Monoplane with RR Goshawk engine.  Interim design step between the Fury & Hurricane.  If you delete the spats & draw a straight line from the cockpit to the base of the tail, you've nearly got the Hurricane prototype.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Was that a private venture or did the MoD of the time request it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

IIRC, it was a private venture.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

dogsbody

Quote from: Mossie on January 30, 2012, 02:14:08 AM
Hawker Fury Monoplane with RR Goshawk engine.  Interim design step between the Fury & Hurricane.  If you delete the spats & draw a straight line from the cockpit to the base of the tail, you've nearly got the Hurricane prototype.

Kinda looks like the Estonian PN-3.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/spyww2/pn3.html
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

rickshaw

Did they ever try a Griffin in the Hurricane?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Martin H

Ive seen drawings for a Griffin Huricane, but I dont think it ever got any ware near metal work.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

There were plans for a Hurricane with a hood and cut down rear fusalage rather like a Spitfire for intruder ops, but not a true bubble as far as I know. Ysi's profile shows just how preaty that would have looked  :thumbsup: If a warplane can ever be preaty

As for Griffon engined, as Martin says there was a plan in 41/42 but it wasn't built. Likewise there were plans for Hercules and Dagger (one I intend to build) engined examples if the supply of Merlins was restricted
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A Hercules engined Hurricane sounds almost obscene to me, but such a thinking produced the Fw-190 and that didn't look too bad I guess.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Omega resins did a number of odd Hurricane kits. Ive got two of the Hercules Hurricane in my stash, and the Yugoslav one with the Daimler-Benz.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

There's an engineering reason why the Griffon Hurricane was a none starter, something structural, but I can't remember what it is. Something to do with wing spars, I think.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

perttime

A quick search found a plausible explanation why they didn't put a bigger and heavier engine on the Hurricane:

"To accomodate the Griffon would have meant a massive redesign, including bringing the wings forward by raking forward the stub spars. Camm had the drawings ready, but was told that there was more potential in the Tornado/Typhoon series"
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/griffon-powered-hurricane-29321.html

My interpretation is that this refers to CG issues.

Also:
"Sydney Camm - - - said he might have made the Hurricane faster by tweaking the wing, but he knew that war was coming and he didn't have time for much fine-tuning of the design. The very fastest Hurricanes ever built, some PR (photo-reconnaissance) versions, had a speed of 350 m.p.h., there was only so much that could be done with a plane with such a thick wing - - -"

ysi_maniac

Would it be worth to install Typhoon wings in Hurricane? Were they thinner?

PR19_Kit

Tempest wings would be better as they were a LOT thinner, but a Temptest already was a 'later Mark' of Hurricane.

Hawker didn't follow the same 'develop it till its eyes pop out' path that Vickers-Supermarine did with the Spitfire. Hawker built an almost new aircraft each time, thus the Tornado, the Typhoon, the Tempest and the Sea Fury in turn.

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

^^^^
The option I was thinking about is kind of a retrofit: To install canopy and wings taken from Typhoon production lines to upgrade Hurricanes. :wub:
For export perhaps. :wub: :wub: